X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Strobe Light Question

Hello!

Here is what I'm trying to do:
    Patrons walk into a pitch-black room of my haunt and when they reach the middle of the room, a flash of bright white light flashes once or twice with a scream accompanied. My sound system should be fine to manually set off the scream, but I'm having trouble figuring out how to have a flash. Does anyone know how to do this? Manually set off from a remote location is fine because I want to save money for other parts of the haunt.

Some ideas i had were to use a flash from a camera? Try to manipulate a strobe light?

Please help, I'm stuck.

-N

You could probably use something very simple like a boo-box or similar controller that could be triggered via footpad or IR sensor, then it would trigger your high intensity strobe and sound effect.

Mike "Pogo" Hach
    -Mike "Pogo" Hach

Comment

http://www.frightprops.com/lighting/...-iii-0509.html there ya go
      www.Stiltbeaststudios.com
      http://www.youtube.com/user/Stiltbea...s?feature=mhee

Comment

Your wanting to go a cheap route. Just set it up on a light mixer that uses a sound sensor. When the track comes on it will cause your light to flash. Might be better to use a bright led pinspot instead of a strobe. Strobe may not go off when you want. Also with a quick scream the pin spot would go off like a strobe.
        But thats what I would do if your on a tight budget.
        Damon
        Frightmasters
        www.houseoffright.com
        Last edited by damon carson; 06-17-2011, 12:56 PM.
        Damon Carson

Comment

Playing off Damon's idea, here's a link to build a lightning simulator that reacts to the sound, like Damon was saying. It can be built for around $20 bucks and modified to work for your scream idea with some toying around. I haven't built one yet, but I think it might be a low budget solution for ya! Good luck!

http://www.hauntedillinois.com/lightningflash.php
          Kimmy

http://hauntedkimmycreations.weebly.com/

Comment

Simple and probably cheaper solution is your orginal concept of utilizing a camera strobe. I have a fake camera in the admitting room of the Asylum. The actor is able to trigger the flash manually. I have the flash wired to a wall wart to I don't have to worry about batteries. You can go on ebay or Craigslist and even get a couple camera flash units. Wire several around the room so that no matter which way people are standing chances are they will get a flash. Then can just be triggered at the same time your scream is triggered. Having several around the room at various angles insures everyone an equal flash!

Now a point here is that when the flash happens unless it is directly in their eyes, they will see what ever is in the room. If your point is to disorient them so that they are lost in the dark room, then it is pointless to have the flash IN the room.

We had a large black room leading to the final scare. I had a couple of of switch back walls leading into the room. I have several strobes in the hall. I set a pattern with the wall so when they enter the room they tend to continue the pattern except now there is no more walls and they are dumped into a large void. With the strobes their eyes are now dialated and they are in essence night blind. Meanwhile the actors have been in the room without light for awhilw and their eyes have adjusted to the darkness. They really have no problem seeing them in the existing light but because of the night blindness the patron can't. Now the actors are alble to walk around them, whisper in their ears, one would run around with a large peacok feather and tickle their faces (really creeped them out!). Our actor would have a blast, running around saying the exit is here...no it's over here... there is a switch on the floor...there is a leaver in the corner. To further confuse them, I took three wall panels and made a triangle obsticle in the middle of the room. Some people would be feeling their wall around the "walls" virtually walking in circles until an actor diverted them! Note: I had curtain, then a two panel section then a final curtain before entering the room. This helps keep light out of the room so your actor's eyes stay accustom to the darkness. Also actors returing froma break where required to stay off in a corner until theor eyes readjusted.

So if it is necessary to blind them IN the room where they see whats in it, use a simple camer flash. If the point is to have them blinded so they do NOT know what's in the room, strobe light BEFORE they enter.
            R&J Productions
            Las Vegas, NV
            www.LasVegasHaunts.com

Comment

Working...
            X