Bottle or glass safety problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bottle or glass safety problem

I am thinking of building a wine cellar, goes in well with the Hotel theme. Especially since I have a secret passage leading out of a lounge/bar area.

I could not find plastic wine bottles (box wine wouldn't work well!!!!) and I have friends MORE than willing to help empty bottles for me!!

Question is using the glass bottles in the attraction. Wine racks in the background are no problem, but I would be using the racks to maze people through the "cellar" so the bottles could be "touchable". I really do not have much trouble with patrons touching things ( we have them walk with their hands on the shoulders of the person in front of them) but I would feel safer if I could protect the few bottles that could be in grabbing distance. I don't want to put a piece of plexiglass or any other barrier in front of them. I want the realistic look of just bottles sitting on the shelf.

I was thinking maybe coating the bottle in a resin, or that clear stuff you use in plant arrangements to simulate water (also a resin) or some other coating so that in the unlikelyhood of someone breaking a bottle all of the glass remains contained. Sort of making the bottles "safety bottles"!!

Any thoughts? Anyone done sometime similar to protect glass?

Rich
    R&J Productions
    Las Vegas, NV
    www.LasVegasHaunts.com

why not a zip tie? to hold the bottle down to the rack. I bet a thick zip tie combined with liquid nails would work great. And both of those would be easy to hide.
    Allen H
    www.Stiltbeaststudios.com
    http://www.youtube.com/user/Stiltbea...s?feature=mhee

Comment

As far as securing them I'm not worried. I can epoxy the bottles to the rack and even add bailing wire around the bottle secured to the wood rack.

The concern is the actual glass. If some moron tries to brak the bottle I want to be able to contain the glass as not to injury anyone. So if a bottle is broken the glas shards do not fly off and cut anyone. If I could find a large then plastic cylinder I could place over them like the safety shield for Flourescent bulbs, but the bottles are slightly different diameters and might look funny witha plastic shield!

Thinking some sort of clear coating where the idea of a resin came into being. My question is if anyone has a better idea? many times you have someone involved with a different outside activity that provides an answer. I had even thought of the rubber like spray coating for truck beds. You would just have to scenic it so it looks like a big bucket of something dripped down and covered someo fo the bottles.

So maybe someone has a business or hobby that utilizes something adaptable to this use?? So again, protection of the glass as opposed to anchoring of it. Thanks Allen
      R&J Productions
      Las Vegas, NV
      www.LasVegasHaunts.com

Comment

Great Stuff foam in the inside? Maybe the fire retardent stuff. I'm thinking this might reduce shattering.
        You would need to run straws to the bottom so that air can help it cure.
        Last edited by Wellington Hackmeat; 06-18-2011, 05:53 PM.

Comment

Ive seen many of these wine racks mazed out with wine bottles. I would say spray foam would be an excellent idea. And most cost effective.
          Damon
          Frightmasters
          Damon Carson

Comment

Take a few bottles and cast them and make hundreds out of polyurethane or epoxy resin. So they are solid, can be tinted to be browns and greens or left amber and clear. Something very substantial like a bolt can be cast into the end so they mount into the walls and can not be tugged free. Many you only need to see the back 2 inches in depth, some side views might actually only be half cast of a bottle. Ones in the distance can be something cheaper like plaster, ultrical, painted with lots of cob webs to blurr the display. Lots of dust.
            sigpic

Another fabulous post from the U.S.Department of Wild Imaginings, now in spectaclar stereo, sponsored by the Adhesives and Sealants Council, suggesting ways to stick things together since the 1800s. Not fabulous in a gay way. Your results may vary. Illinois residents add 8% sales tax. These posts have been made by professional post makers, do not try this type of posting on your own without extensive training, lovely assistants and a trusty clown horn.

Comment

I searched with very little luck for plastic wine bottles for our cellar a few years ago. But because of the close proximity of the tours, just couldn't go with glass for the obvious reasons. I compromised in the bottle and was able to pull off a reasonable look. I ordered PET clear plastic bullet shaped plastic bottles and colored them with green and amber Krylon aerosol tint. I made labels on eggshell and craft paper with my printer. Most of the bottles went in the wine rack, but some were also in crates, and a few were even cut to look as if they had been broken open. All of them were simply hot glued into place. I'm including a link to pictures of the rack.

http://s17.photobucket.com/albums/b9...t=100_2197.jpg

http://s17.photobucket.com/albums/b9...t=100_2195.jpg

They do not have the traditional long neck of a standard wine bottle, but these worked well for us.
              http://www.theironkingdom.com

Comment

Those plastic ones look great, and in the dark Im sure you hardly even notice the back of the bottles. In thinking about plastic, this might be a great candidate for a vendor to make some vacuform panels of...granted you can only get one side, it could be vacuumed in clear plastic if carefully painted...in theory it could be cool, but I don't know a lot about vacuform myself, just an idea to throw out there.

I was also going to suggest the clear resins...a little bit of work, but you can make exact replicas of different bottles, and reproduce as many as you want in different colors, and even semi thin walled would be harder to break than glass. You could also leave the bottoms off, spray some transparent colors in the clear ones to simulate the wine, then foam fil. Smooth-On makes some great products for most aspects of this.

Then if you cast one a little on the thin side, you can make some out of their material called smash plastic which is a safe stunt style glass that an actor could pull off a shelf and smash here and there if desired...obviously more expensive and still requires cleanup, but could be fun.

Just some ideas..

Mike "Pogo" Hach
                -Mike "Pogo" Hach

Comment

Ive been pondering this and I think I have it.
                  Heat shrink tubing. get it in black or green and in a size big enough to fit over the bottles. Broken glass would be contained in the plastic wrap.
                  Allen H
                  www.Stiltbeaststudios.com
                  http://www.youtube.com/user/Stiltbea...s?feature=mhee

Comment

You could use sugar glass for your bottles. Not only do they look real but they are safe to use for stunts and such if you are wanting to break them. We used them at our haunt many times for our actors to use in our chase/fight scenes. I believe you can get them in different colors. We used brown to replicate a beer bottle.
                    sigpic
                    Owner at Thorn Web Designs
                    http://www.thornwebdesigns.com
                    Website Design, Logo Design, Graphic Design, Marketing Art, Illustration and more!

Comment

theater

In theater they used to coat items with latex that were meant to be broken in a scene to prevent glass or other from flying and easier cleanup.

Comment

Working...
                      X