Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Haunts in Malls?

Hello everyone!
    Well, our haunt had to move this year and we've all but secured a deal with the local mall. They always have a Spirit Halloween store each year. (It's not a HUGE mall, but not a rinky dink strip mall either).
    We were wondering if anyone has any advice or answers to a few questions.
    The mall really seems to want this and has an old Rite Aid Store with sprinklers and everything set for us (about 5-6000 sq. ft.) with outdoor access which is great since the indoor access (if we have it) will need shut down at 9pm but we can stay open til whenever. They're also going to put us in all the advertising they do and we're right near the food court and movie theater.
    We were still thinking of opening Thur/Fri/Sat (usually 7-11pm but might modify it to 6-10pm or last ticket is sold).
    Is this still what people do or do you open every night from 6-9 or 6-10?
    Also, any other considerations that are different from a free standing building.
    They are working with us off a percentage of the door with a guaranteed amount from July 15th-Nov. 15th. We pay utilities. It's actually a great deal (one we proposed).
    We are getting advertising/insurance/registration/floor plan/etc. set up before move in so we can focus on the building...
    So excited...this is the earliest start for us ever! Last year was Aug. 13th before we found a place and a week later for our wood/supplies!
    Thanks!
    Kirk
    Kirk Boemmel
    Dark Ghost Manor
    www.darkghostmanor.com

sigpic

It works....

Sounds like a promising opportunity. A few haunts in the Dallas area were in malls and are still around to talk about. Proof it can work. Just like any location, you gotta put on respectable show and market the heck out of your haunt!
    Joshua
    www.hauntedprints.com
    info?hauntedprints.com

Comment

Um.... very interesting! I've been there in the haunt mall, and it was so awersome!! It was in 1999, perhaps. But, it was closed b/c it was out of business, no money, nothing! It was near the food court. I do miss it.
      Chris Riehl
      Sales@spookyfinder.com
      (586)209-6935
      www.spookyfinder.com

Comment

advise

i ahd mine last year in the mall. we got allot of business but not as much as we thought... Allot of our business was from people at the mall and kids wanting to go in... What was our problem was... most of the people that go to haunt to haunt, thought we was going to lame and it was just for kids.. until we told them to try it and see..... finally the word got out the last week and it was to late to get a really big gain... So my advise to make sure you advertise that you are an adult haunt not a kidding haunt... also our utilities deposit was out of the roof... they take the last year three biggests bills and divide it by 3 and that will be your deposit... you will get it back when you chow it off but out of the pocket till then.... our power deposit was 5000.00 only not counting the rest....

Good luck... also try to strike a deal for a couple of years.... we didn't and they got us out... and i know we would of made a killing this year... casue everone loved us..

Geoff

Comment

Thanks everyone!
          Geoff-Yes, the utilities was like "What?" to us since it was WAY over what we've paid in the past...and they do go off of normal daytime operations (10am-9pm) with full lights, etc. We are only open a handful of hours a night 3 days a week. It's not as much as 5000.00 but it's still a chunk. Plus water too for us.
          The great thing is the percentage/guaranteed amount is exactly what we asked for.
          Very excited with this possibility.
          Any more to share?
          Kirk Boemmel
          Dark Ghost Manor
          www.darkghostmanor.com

sigpic

Comment

I would be worried about that "promised" amount in July, August, and September. October is the gravy month, but getting people to come each night in the off months could be tough, so I hope you didn't promise them too much for those early months.
            www.TerrorOfTallahassee.com

Comment

Looks like we're going into a mall this year as well. We should know for sure by the end of the week. Should be an interesting year. Looking forward to it!
              Chris Tillman, President
              Rocky Mountain Terror, LLC
              Trick or Terror Haunted House
              www.TerrorHaunts.com

Comment

Im trying a mall in NJ this year as well. This mall brings in 750,000 customers a month .......so we will see how it goes...............

John

Comment

We'll all have to stay in touch with the mall thing...LOL
                  We didn't promise anything other than a 'guaranteed lowest amount they'd get' (ie. 2500.00 or 10%-whichever is more).
                  We are not open in July/Aug either...we will build from July 15th-Sept. 22 and open the 23rd.
                  We were just wondering if anyone else opens Mon/Tue/Wed or not and anyones experience.
                  We proposed a price we were comfortable with and took a shot.
                  They liked it and we are probably ago.
                  Will know this week!
                  Thanks!
                  Last edited by Darkblood; 06-21-2011, 07:21 PM.
                  Kirk Boemmel
                  Dark Ghost Manor
                  www.darkghostmanor.com

sigpic

Comment

Sounds great to me. here goes my take-

"We were still thinking of opening Thur/Fri/Sat (usually 7-11pm but might modify it to 6-10pm or last ticket is sold).
                    Is this still what people do or do you open every night from 6-9 or 6-10?"
                    If your paying actors, then stick to Friday and Saturday. maybe add thursdays if you like. I like 7:30 to midnighgt for hours. Open the box office at 7:00.

"Also, any other considerations that are different from a free standing building."
                    No drawbacks, but you do have two fronts one outside and one inside If you can sell tickets from both great. If nout then build a hall from the mall interior to your ticket booth on the other side.

The business side sounds fine if your comfortable with it. Thats what matters.
                    Allen H
                    www.Stiltbeaststudios.com
                    http://www.youtube.com/user/Stiltbea...s?feature=mhee

Comment

In the next few years when I decide to open my haunt I was debating between an old asylum in the area or a mall. A few years back I remember Frightworld was occupying the mall I have my eye on and from what I saw they did a very good job. So from what I am hearing and please correct me if I'm wrong, malls are good as long as you massively advertise your attraction? I mean when you come to think of it, wouldn't a mall be the most ideal spot?

Hundreds of people shop during the day and pass your attraction.
                      Even though it is closed it has to make people wonder

"What could be in there?"

and trigger a lot of curiosity causing them to come back. That has to increase attendance right?
                      Last edited by The Forsaken Crypt; 06-21-2011, 09:26 PM.
                      Matthew Colton
                      Frightworld America's Screampark
                      http://www.frightworld.com/

Comment

This may sound crazy but it might work for you. We opened on sundays at like 2 till 6 when the mall closed and used to get really good crowds and even church groups. We were the only haunt in our market open at that time and got a lot of haunt traffic from the mall or from people who went to us before other haunts opened. We had a few sundays that were close to sat nights traffic
                        I'm only doing this to impress 2 people ... The fire marshal and the customer that's it !!!

Comment

Been there...

I opened a haunt in a mall back in 2003 (CrossRoads mall in OKC).
                          The first absolute thing I did first was get the fire marshal out there to make sure he approves the site (hope you have done this) and discuss evacuation, fire alarms and such. Call him out regularly to be sure you're doing everything right up to the end. It will make things alot smoother with no last minute shockers.
                          Operating in a mall was nice and we did alright. The first year is always hard to get established and get the word out.
                          We stayed open after mall hours (till 11pm, 12pm the last week) with the doors opening around 7ish.
                          We only opened on weekends the first couple weeks then the last week we opened every night.
                          You might think about doing a kiddie version during the afternoon on weekends at a cheaper price. This will get some of the weekend shoppers with kids and won't wear out your actors from a long day. Use only a couple of haunt staff to make sure the kids are going thru okay. Something to think about. Of course, you don't want everyone to think it's a kiddie haunt all the time so advertise likewise.
                          One thing you might ask about is mall security. If they have enough staff, you may not have to hire one just for the haunt. We had a mall security that hung around because he had a blast seeing everyone come out scared. He enjoyed his job while we were there.
                          If you aren't open during the daytime mall hours, have a video or voice recording explaining what the haunt is (advertisement) there at the haunt entrance. This way, the mall shoppers during the day will see/hear it and hopefully spread the work.
                          One thing to check with the mall if actors with mask/face paint on and roaming the mall. Some have rules/laws against this happening. We were restricted to just outside the entrance to the mall.
                          We had a temp lease (1 year) and when going to renew, we were pushed out for a Chinese joint. Oh well....
                          It was a great experience for me and the other tenants loved it.

Hope this helps,
                          Tom
                          Tom
                          Creator of the Dungeon
                          WWW.BRICKTOWNAMUSEMENT.COM

Comment

We actually have some good fire marshalls and people to work with in our area...we're on top of that!
                            The mall is actually really going out of their way for us too...it's almost too good to be true! LOL
                            The mall maintainence man grew up and knew my partner's family. He is even putting in extra outlets for us (even thought at this moment it's still pending...hopefully by Friday we'll know!)
                            We are thinking Sept. 23/24 to open (Fri/Sat only) from 6-10pm.
                            Then Thur/Fri/Sat nights from 6-9pm Thur and 6-10pm Fri/Sat...or until the last victim is in.
                            I am thinking the 2 lines (in mall and outside mall after 9pm) sounds confusing and we have to work it out...
                            Keep the advice coming!
                            Kirk Boemmel
                            Dark Ghost Manor
                            www.darkghostmanor.com

sigpic

Comment

I did the malls for 4 yrs and lived to tell about it . In fact some of my fondest memories were at the malls. If I had planned better in the early yrs i would have planned an outside entry. Thank god we did well enough with out it. I would advise a mall entry as well as out side entry leading to the ticket booth. We got lucky and had a space by the movies that stayed open till 12am. We also did thurs nights with little success
                              I'm only doing this to impress 2 people ... The fire marshal and the customer that's it !!!

Comment

Working...
                              X