Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Noise Restrictions

I am currently looking at property that is zoned "transitional"

It is rated for commercial or residential. It is on a main drag of road that leads to route 22 ( a major highway in pennsylvania) within 3 minutes driving time.

I have contacted the local zoning officer, and he has informed me that the noise rating from 7am-10pm is 75dB, and from 10pm-7am 60dB.

I am not too familiar with these ratings, and I know there are MANY charts out there showing what makes how much noise (ie. lawnmower 85dB, etc)

But I am curious as to what some of the other haunts have as far as noise ratings, and if you have had any issues or complaints in the past from local residents, etc?

The property is an old schoolhouse... 30k square feet, and a phenomenal asking price.

But I also want to be realistic in whether I can make this happen without the entire town hating me for 6 weeks out of the year.

Thanks in advance.

Check out the "Lay" of the Land There.

IF the school is positioned so sound generated there would travel quickly to a lot of residential sites, wanting to be a good neighbor, outdoor speakers might have to "Go".
    My Ravens Grin is in a small valley and such sounds travel very quickly and unimpeaded right to the houses on the hill.
    This small village of elderly people like "Quiet" and I like to get along with everyone so I had no trouble disconnecting my October outdoor speakers here. As I face that hill half of it is grave yard so the UFOs that land there run on very quiet mode.
    Then on a Sunday afternoon Harleys come to town and you can hear them from 2 miles away!?? WTF?
    hauntedravensgrin.com

Comment

http://maps.google.com/maps?q=145+so...76172&t=h&z=16

Is the location Jim. It is literally right in the middle of a neighborhood, with parking all around lol.

I am thinking no outdoor speakers, and insulating the windows somehow?

Comment

Inside you should be o.k.

Our county just adopted the new "noise abatement" which is pretty close to the levels that you are in for. We are a 75% outdoor event, and we are approx 2000ft from any neighboring property line. A residential property can receive no more than 55dBa after 11pm. So we turn off all of the noisemakers, and we make sure that any band/dj/performers are finished before 11. Before the noise abatement was adopted it was a nightmare... but now that there is a definite line in the sand, you can take necessary adjustments.
        If you believe it to be an issue, you can purchase a decibel reader that records for around $600. Some offer a calibration certification card (which your measurements would hold up in court).
        Considering that you're going to be indoors, I wouldn't worry about your noise pollution
        Patrick Barberry
        www.legendsofthefog.com
        sigpic

Comment

Thank you Patrick. That helps to clear things up.... I will certainly look into that device, and more than likely invest in it for the future, in the event an issue arrises... it seems every town always has that one person who LOVES to make problems...

Comment

plywood over the windows that should cut out a lot of the noise. depending on how many windows you have you will want to do this anyways
            I'm only doing this to impress 2 people ... The fire marshal and the customer that's it !!!

Comment

The biggest noise problems are going to be from the customers outside. If they gather in large groups before the event, or if they come out of the house excited; there will be lots of yelling and screaming (especially if they're drunk). This will generate the most noise complaints and thus calls to the police. After seeing your building, I'd avoid gunshot level sounds anywhere, and keep chainsaws to the inner corridors. Let the patrons calm down before exiting, ie, don't chase them out with a chainsaw and you'll be fine.

BTW, you can get the same decibel meter the cops use around here for $49.

http://www.radioshack.com/product/in...ductId=2103667

Comment

Working...
              X