Old Church for a haunt?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Old Church for a haunt?

I might have a chance to lease an old church for a haunt. It is probably 70-80 years old and has sat empty for about 6 years, approximately 12,000 s.q.f. total on a main floor, basement and a few balconies. It is very gothic looking on the outside and would be freaky with the correct exterior lighting. It is scary to look at right now during the day with all of the over grown trees and bushes. Any pros or cons? Will people hesitate or be offended if a haunt was in an old church? Any theme ideas jump out at you?
    Todd

SOME MANY PRO's

I see a lot of PRO’s. What a dream building. Façade is already set and so is the history. I don’t see any CON’s beyond the normal. People who oppose haunts will do it regardless of the location and the people who visit them will come no matter where it is located. If anything, the opposition might be louder but that would only increase your publicity. Some haunts pay for or make up controversy to get there name out there.
    Joshua
    www.hauntedprints.com
    info?hauntedprints.com

Comment

Many haunters would kill for a location like that...and great bonus about a church is there is likely some nice built in parking? The only problems you would have are those that think a haunted house is sacrilegious, and would likely not come or protest wherever the location was, though you will get some more of that in an actual church. Just be prepared and stay neutral if you get any protestors and such. Make sure your fire marshall doesnt have an issue with it either...lol.

Then speaking of fire Marshall. the only other main issues you may run into otherwise would be dealing with fire codes....as church is normally very open with the people all in one large room...whereas with the haunt you will likely be winding them all around in the same space, and different rules will apply. Also as talked about a multi level building in another thread, if you want to be ADA compliant you will either need a way for a wheelchair to get to the basement, or install an eleveator if there is not one already...that is of course if you use the basement for the haunt. Might be a great spot for offices and makeup room. Lots of great possibilities.

Mike "Pogo" Hach
      -Mike "Pogo" Hach

Comment

where is this at cause down here in the south Bible belt that stuff wont fly. Ive had so much truble cause of the church people here in NC but up north it would work great!
        BLOOD, GUTS AND GORE!
        www.horrorfields.com

Comment

I think it all depends on the location. But in most places it would fly. I mean, like said above, bible belt no. But overall I think it would be an ideal creepy setting and for most really add that uncomfortableness to the experience from arrival
          -Prop Building is my life....and my life is to Scare You!!!-

__________________________________________________ _______

I Stay Connected By Listening to Rotting Flesh Radio - http://rfrpodcast.com

I Stay Amped Up By Reading Hauntworld Magazine - http://www.hauntworld.com

sigpic

Comment

This is in the Rocky Mountain area and I grew up in the town where the church is located. I remember it changing ownership several times over the years with different denominations using it, none of them being the predominant religion in the area.
            Todd

Comment

I think you will probably alright. I mean churches change from things over the years. There are old churches in this area that are bars now. And you cant really turn a church into anything worse than a bar far as people looking down on it. Maybe work with a local church and get some volunteers and work with a charity and make it a positive thing. And then no one can say anything bad about a haunt being in it. I helped with many church haunts growing up as a kid. Hope this helps. Oh i would love to see pics! I love anything gothic!
              Damon
              Frightmasters
              Damon Carson

Comment

no sprinklers and exits are the only problems I see. If the citys happy go for it
                I'm only doing this to impress 2 people ... The fire marshal and the customer that's it !!!

Comment

I would love this. Am scouting around buildings now.

Scaremeister:grin:

Comment

Use the Big Room as is.

Patrons enter, take seats begin the service, lights go up slightly and the parishioners surrounding them are all scary looking, previously hidden because they had their back turned to them and of course the dark, lights fail it's everyman for himself!
                    hauntedravensgrin.com

Comment

Working...
                    X