Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Creating the feel of multiple levels

Hey guys!

It's that time of year again I'm desining our anual haunt and we have a few questions. It is a professional haunt but it only runs a few days of the season. This year our theme is that of a European grave yard complete with mosoleums and catacombs (forgive my spelling) as well as a chaple. The problem I have is the same one that I have every year. Our haunt is in a space with many preplaced walls that can't be moved. It is one level. We would like to creat the feeling of going up and down throughout the haunt. For instance making them feel as if they have gone down into the catacombs and back up into the chaple. We have a large supply of wood so that is not a problem. Let me know if you have any ideas!

Thanks so much

ResHallHaunter
    ~I'll bet living in a nudist colony takes all the fun out of Halloween.~

You could always utilize a "Motion SImulator" as an elevator or time machine or just a crate on a pulley system depending on your era. You can build a simulator for under $2,000 and it is a great affect and can even be added upon and made into more each year.
    Depending on through put, would depend on your actual length of the show within the crate/elevator/ etc.

Holler and I can give you some links or just check out Fright Props - http://www.frightprops.com/motion-platforms.html

We use this system to make our Coffin Ride, Hellevator etc. Good Luck!

Comment

Thanks for that idea!

ALso I have a question: Is it ok to make your customers do some crouching and possibly crawling? We've come up with some crawl space ideas that could give us the feel we are looking for I'm just wondering if people would be willing to crawl in a haunted house.

Comment

We had an area for guest to crawl through. Beware of Bottlenecking.

Comment

I am a fan of crawling, ducking and squeezing through. It's a great way to take the patron out of there realm and into an unsecure world.

Slow gradual ramps can also fool patrons in a one level building.
          Joshua
          www.hauntedprints.com
          info?hauntedprints.com

Comment

Thanks for the feedback I've got one more question. How do you deal with larger people going through your haunt that may not be able to fit in a crawl space? Do you just make really wide crawl spaces or do you use alternate routes? I know last year we had quite a few obese people come through the haunt but we didn't have any super tight spaces or crawling spots last year.

Comment

You can create a hidden bypass. You dont want to turn anyone away because they can fit through your haunt.
              Joshua
              www.hauntedprints.com
              info?hauntedprints.com

Comment

Great thanks that is definitely an option!

Comment

For crawling, first you want to check to make sure your fire marshal will allow it. Some cities will not allow any crawling even with alternate routes. If you are allowed, I would always make a bypass not only for those that may not fit due to size, but for those claustrophobic, to make sure you stay ADA compliant, and for faster evacuation in the event of an emergency. One haunt I worked for actually went as far as having the roof of a crawling space hinged so in the event of an emergency they could completely just open it to allow people to stand up and quickly evacuate. Also make sure you have a warning before they enter that there are areas where they will need to crawl so they can voice concerns before entering if they cannot crawl for any reason such as an injury. For customer comfort I would also suggest padding the area they have to crawl on...unless you do the plexi with something underneath.

Hope this helps.

Mike "Pogo" Hach
                  -Mike "Pogo" Hach

Comment

Working...
                  X