Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

how close to the competition do you wanna be?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• how close to the competition do you wanna be?

Apparently warehouse and retail space is gobbled up in this horrible economy faster then sites like loopnet can keep up? Funny thing is it's been several months since a "rented" property is still vacant.

Perhaps they don't like our kind?

there is a vacant wal-mart in my area with a $3/sqft charge. However it's within 11miles of the largest haunt in the state which is more like an oversized home haunt in my mind. Mostly people, wall, and darkness. It lacks a theme and MC. Nothing like Netherworld or The Darkness.

Anyways would you wanna be within 11miles of a large haunt?

In the DFW metroplex there are many haunts within a few miles if each other.

Dallas has 3 I can think of within a 10 mile radius. Fort Worth also has 3 within a 10 mile radius as well. Since the population is so large, the close competition does not affect the haunts.

Most haunt go'ers visit more than one haunt a year so it shouldn't matter. Maybe you could partner with the other haunt and co-promote each others event. Maybe even sell a combo ticket that will allow the customer to visit both haunts at a discount.
    Joshua
    www.hauntedprints.com
    info?hauntedprints.com

Comment

yes paws they dont like our kind. i have been looking for a new location for 4 mths now and they all say its already rented and still sits vacant. i have literally looked into 40 loactions and none of them want a haunted house it seems

Comment

also i have tried to get an old walmart. was told the same thing and this buiding has been empty for 7 yrs and counting. i was kind of worried about messing up their floors tho so its probably a blessing. also i want a building with a sprinkler system and this narrows the search results to next to nothing. im not sure what the problem is i have the money to pay what their asking (not asking for a discount) and still its the same story over and over

Comment

We've run into just mentioning 'haunted house' in the beginning talks and the owners immediately won't even show the building. 'Haunted or Halloween Attraction' same thing...
          So now we just tell them we are interested in looking at the space (hopefully owner is there WITH realtor if it's not just the owner sale) and after looking at it we tell them our idea. People are more receptive once they meet you...sometimes...

It does seem haunts are frowned upon by a lot of people who have buildings...
          Kirk Boemmel
          Dark Ghost Manor
          www.darkghostmanor.com

sigpic

Comment

Its such a shame the perception the world has towards haunters. They think we are a bunch of devil worshipers and criminals. Were more like big kids doing something we love. I love the shocking look people giver when they meet the average Joe or business man in a tie that owns a haunt.
            Joshua
            www.hauntedprints.com
            info?hauntedprints.com

Comment

I dunno about your states but I would think that would constitute some discrimination somewhere? Money is money.

Comment

Maybe that property owner..

Considers themselves to just be a minor devil-worshper and a haunter-devil worshiper would cause the devil to demote them, give haunter their zone of influence?
                Nobody likes such competition.
                "Oh, Yeah!?"
                "YAH!"
                "Well show me your horns, I bet mine are bigger!"
                hauntedravensgrin.com

Comment

The problem is always perception. They assume the temporary event, ANY temp event will cause damage to the property. Even if you damge clauses in the contract. That is why in our market we had to go with the trailer haunt concept. Even if the shopping center is occupied, there may be space in the parking lot. Also you push that all the tenants benifit from the exposure the event brings, right during that retail lull between back to school and Christmas!!

It's all how you spin doctor it!!
                  R&J Productions
                  Las Vegas, NV
                  www.LasVegasHaunts.com

Comment

It can be good to be close as you can coop with other haunts and promote each other. We have a few very close to us but I was first so I guess I did something right . People actually plan haunting trips now and hit the ones close to one another to make the most of the gas.
                    I'm only doing this to impress 2 people ... The fire marshal and the customer that's it !!!

Comment

The haunt I work at is on a Christmas Tree farm, owned by the same people. The next nearest big haunt is about a 30 min away, in another state. That one is in a building that I would assume they own since they have permanent signs and have been there for more than 10 years. There is also some corn mazes and school gym haunts around. I have never really seen a haunt in an unused building although every year the Spirit Halloween Store seems to be in a different location.

Comment

I think with how our economy is, landlords can't take the risk of a short term rent. Even though it's something in their pockets, they just don't want the hassel of leasing the rest of the year. I think they would just let the space sit empty and collect dust ans cob-webs.....hey wait a minute...........natural scene props...LOL!!!!

My thought is, it's much harder for a haunter to seek an old and empty space to short lease, the whole trailor haunt thing is cool and works, I think haunters should get together with some farm someplace that currently does their own fall activities and talk to the owners about haunting on their property.

Now for those getting into the business that can afford to purchase their property, what ever it may be a building or land, then good for them.

I can also believe about the miss conception of haunts, but I won't say anything on this topic exept some of the things or sets that are thought up and put into haunts can be over the top and not needed to be scary.

But to answer the bigger question, it's OK to be close to other haunts, just become friends fast this way haunts don't get pushy to one another!

Mr. Haunt

Comment

Working...
                        X