New half masks 2012

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New half masks 2012

I am considering creating a new line of half masks for sale next yr. What types of creatures and price do you guys think will go over. Ive been making several half masks for my people over the last few yrs and they love them. I thought I might try doing some for other haunts as well and see how it gos.
    I'm only doing this to impress 2 people ... The fire marshal and the customer that's it !!!

Price point $25 would be nice, but you will sell em all day long for $20. When you get close to $30 for a half mask thats only 3 for $100. Unless its cloth, silicone ,or leather I think you need to stay near $25.

Characters are wide open- I know you and I are classic fans so maybe new takes on them. Inbreds are always good and clowns put money in the pig too.
    Allen H
    www.Stiltbeaststudios.com
    http://www.youtube.com/user/Stiltbea...s?feature=mhee

Comment

Hey WAX i would never stay around $25 dollars (sorry allen) your time, your creation, your pouring, your triming, your painting, your hair work for $25 dollars???????? Sounds like you wont be in the haunt industry long! so sorry but true!!! Charge a fair rate and keep your doors open. Jason out!!!!

Comment

You wont sell alot wholesale for more than that. If its just latex then it shouldnt be much more. you can charge more and find a niche-but If you want to be carried by Morris and sell wholesale $25 is tops hair could push you up.
        And Jason and I may have entirely different ideas about your products $25 could be high for one style and way to low for another. So what is in Jasons head and Mine are very different hence the price point difference. So...make one or show us one and then determine the fair price.
        Allen H
        www.Stiltbeaststudios.com
        http://www.youtube.com/user/Stiltbea...s?feature=mhee

Comment

I agree on both ends...I make (paint) and sell collector masks for the band Mushroomhead that fetch $300-600 at times, but there is a considerable amount of time put into every one. Even one that is basically a half mask can sell on Ebay in upwards of 200+. These are latex masks that are hand painted. When you really break it all down with the mold costs, original artist sculpt, time, materials, etc...it ends up making it worth the price tag to those that buy it. Granted some of that is the "stardom fee" and perceived value of the bands items...

Really depends on what you are putting out. If it is just a plain poured simply painted mask, then yeah $25 is fair for both the consumer and the artist, but if you are doing high detail airbrushing, punched hair, etc...you gotta charge what its worth at least to cover your costs and time, otherwise the artist is working for pennies, unless you are happy with that, which many artists are...they just want to share their creations, but if you want to make a business out of it though, you gotta be able to put more into the future.

Mike "Pogo" Hach
          -Mike "Pogo" Hach

Comment

very cool thanks for the input. I may only be a few out next yr until a get a feel for it. Im mostly concerned with a good quality piece I would feel good about buying.
            I'm only doing this to impress 2 people ... The fire marshal and the customer that's it !!!

Comment

As a buyer for a store I would say that $15-$17 is the most we will generally pay for half masks if they are latex. That is what customers are willing to pay retail $30. Any higher and they might as well get a full mask. As for subject matter anything zombie and scarecrows.
              Lordgrimley.com for the very best items on the net.

Comment

Then the other side...

The $3.00 half-mask. I scare plenty of my customers every night and day with the $3.00 half-mask."You're only supposed to be half-afraid of it." I tell them.
                Of course I also take the time to tell them my story, then shuffle across a dark room, build up drama, anticipation, before anything else happens.
                I have created Incredible reactions from seemingly very adult, confident , calm people by doing this.
                Maybe I'm a haunter? Or would that be "Entertainer"? Or maybe both?
                Are some of us own own worst enemy? Trading through-put for memorable entertainment?
                I don't like having to take the time to hard-sell the ticket price, I would much rather just make change for eager fans.
                I know what I do here is not universally sought but enough patrons happen to think it is something they wish to support to keep me going.
                My old neighbor was Jeremy Bohr-Mask maker I know how much time, effort, talent goes into a mask and what they should go for,(I usually told him he was seling them too cheap) I am not diminishing anyone in any way.
                I have "lost" some nice masks over the years. If they cost me a ton of money.....Wow! Not something to worry about @ $3.00.
                hauntedravensgrin.com

Comment

I am sorry to tell you but Grimley's Comments are very honest for a retailer's situation.
                  If you are looking to sell wholesale, then this is exactly what you can look forward to dealing with.
                  However, if you look more at a direct end user and then to the higher end, collectors . Ie people going out of their way to find unique quality items, you can do much better price wise. But these individuals are much more selective but your work really has to be up there.

I like your approach. Start slow, and get quality high.
                  Kevin R. Alvey
                  info at gore-galore.com
                  www.gore-galore.com
                  www.halloweenmusicgalore.com
                  www.youtube.com/goregalore13
                  www.facebook.com/goregalore

sigpic

Comment

thanks for all the great input guys .

Comment

Working...
                    X