Anyone have any experience with CAD?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone have any experience with CAD?

Does anyone have any tips for a cheep or free basic CAD type program. I really have no interest in paying $1800 for the real CAD! I just need something where I can plan out my haunt and move some walls around with ease. I know some of you must do some planning on your computers, what programs do you use? I have tried a couple free ones, but they are not as intuitive as I would like.

Thanks
    Joel
    Heartstoppers
    Haunted House

Sacramento, CA

www.scaredyou.com

www.fb.com/heartstoppers
    www.twitter.com/heartstoppershh

I can't remember how much it was, but I bought an older version of 3D Home Architect. It works great for positioning walls, doors, windows, etc. It even generates a list of materials such as how many 2X4s you will need. It's a really great program.
    ^v^ ^v^ ^v^
    ^v^ ^v^ ^v^
    www.facebook.com/DementiaHauntedHouse

Comment

FreeCAD is a basic 3D CAD with advanced motion simulation capabilities. It is suitable for anyone interested in learning 3D CAD and motion simulation for free before using more sophisticated packages. Educators, students, and new engineers will find it ideal for the teaching and learning of geometry, kinematics, dynamics, vibrations, mechanisms, linkages, cams, machine design, and physics.

FreeCAD allows users to create and manipulate assemblies, which are collections of parts. The parts are simple 3D solids, which can be connected by joints, constraints, contacts, motors, actuators, springs, dampers, forces, torques, or gravity.Both open and closed 3D loops are permitted. FreeCAD performs full multibody dynamics analysis on the assembly to predict the motion according to Newton's Laws. Animation using the simulated data produces realistic dynamic behavior of the system.

http://www.download.com/3000-20-10051192.html
      Bill Rod.
      Dark Tech Effects
      Automated DMX Lighting
      Show Control - Audio / Visual Effects

Comment

TurboCAD is about 29 bucks at Office Depot for the older version 8. Was recommended to me by JBcorn who used it in his book. Still learning it but it is a darned powerful program for the price. Autocad cojmpatible files. No idea if the interface is compatible. There is a much more expensive version, but the older version, cant go wrong.
        The word for the day is NPD. Check it out.

Comment

I use Delta Cad for work drawings, but for floor plan layout I use 3D Home Architect. Overly simple to use, and if I remember right, I picked it up at Wal Mart in their $10.00 section. For an example, see the ‘Floor Plans’ topic in this section of the message board. The dream castle plan is done with it. Plus it allows you to do a virtual walk through and different camera views that are really great. Hell, you can even add furniture through the templates provided. Electrical drops, and plumbing as well, if you want to take it that far.
          http://www.theironkingdom.com

Comment

Great idea Ironman! That would be so nice to lay out the floorplan and then do a walkthrough before you ever pick up a hammer!

Comment

Originally posted by Barry
              Great idea Ironman! That would be so nice to lay out the floorplan and then do a walkthrough before you ever pick up a hammer!
              Agreed! Being able to do a walkthru on the computer would even inspire the crew to pick up that hammer.

Comment

I haven't use 3D Home Architect in months. Thanks to this thread I will be using it to design my haunt tonight.
                ^v^ ^v^ ^v^
                ^v^ ^v^ ^v^
                www.facebook.com/DementiaHauntedHouse

Comment

Thanks for all the info guys, I have downloaded a few of the above mentioned programs. 3d home architect sounds about perfect!

Thanks again, and you guys know you rock, right? Well ya do!

=Joel=
                  Heartstoppers
                  Haunted House

Sacramento, CA

www.scaredyou.com

www.fb.com/heartstoppers
                  www.twitter.com/heartstoppershh

Comment

AutoCAD is what I do with my job right now. If you want any help with anything you can let me know, and I'll be glad to help you out. If you ever need any "novice" work done and I cant figure it out, just send me an email or PM me, and I'm pretty confident I can figure it out for you.
                    Brad Bowen
                    Owner/Operator of the Ultimate Fear Haunted House in Shreveport, LA
                    www.ultimatefear.net

Comment

No Auto-Cad for me, I'm lucky to afford a second-hand Hundai!
                      hauntedravensgrin.com

Comment

Jim, I thought you being a cad was always automatic.

Comment

Yes.
                          I have tried the seven step program several times but I think it would only work if I had seven legs and I'm 4 short!
                          hauntedravensgrin.com

Comment

Just purchased the 3D Architect for $9.99 at Office Depot and got a second CD (6000 Sound Effects) for free!

I'm looking forward to trying out the the program.

Comment

Look for a copy of AutoCAD 2002. For my money, it is still the best version they put out and since it's old you might get it for cheap. If you need help using it drop me a line. I'm an engineer in my other life and I use it all the time.
                              Kip Polley
                              www.palenight.com

Pale Night Productions
                              We Engineer Fear

Comment

Working...
                              X