Super Cheap Room Ideas?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Super Cheap Room Ideas?

So in going through my back yard taking measurements and planning out this year's haunt, I found out that I have a blank 10X20 area right in the middle of the haunt. My budget is already more or less maxed out, so I need some ideas for a room that won't be very expensive to make. Anyone have any?
    www.mournfulmanor.com

"I'm talking about romance in the sense of epic heroes, tragedy, forever friends who die for one another, quests, wars and star-crossed lovers. Romance found in dark fairy tales and the histories of martyred saints. Romance expressed through murder, cannibalism, ressurrections, and hauntings, through ancient tales of chivalry, sacrifice and betrayal."

Sheet maze- (buy your sheets from a hotel liquidator- find them in the phone book- I get a garbage bag full for $30)
    Butcher room- a table- plastic butcher tools- and watch my human pelt tutorial on you tube http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S9ugZxO1YPs
    Spider room- Big fake spider in the corner- a web across the entire cieling thats set at 12ft high in the middle and 8ft at the walls. when the group comes in an actor lets go of a rope and the web drops to 8ft and scares the whole goup. a simple pulley and rope doeas the moving of a hand tied -clothes line- web.
    Do you like any ofthose or do you need more?
    www.Stiltbeaststudios.com
    http://www.youtube.com/user/Stiltbea...s?feature=mhee

Comment

Sheet maze sounds fun, though I'm not sure if 200 sq ft is enough to do it justice. We already have both a butcher room and spider room, which is funny, because both are very similar to what you wrote (perhaps great minds think alike).

However, I'm very intrigued by another of your suggestions on a different thread for the "baked potato room". Seeing as how this space is right before my glowing mask room, and I've been looking for ways to use light to wash out my guest's night vision before stepping into this dark area, I think the combination of aluminum foil and strobe might be just what the doctor ordered.

If anyone else has any suggestions, I'm certainly still open. In the meantime, I'm going to start researching the cheapest way to acquire mylar or aluminum foil...

Oh, and Allen, thanks for your video tutorial on making blood! I found it super helpful and you just helped our budget a TON!!!!
      www.mournfulmanor.com

"I'm talking about romance in the sense of epic heroes, tragedy, forever friends who die for one another, quests, wars and star-crossed lovers. Romance found in dark fairy tales and the histories of martyred saints. Romance expressed through murder, cannibalism, ressurrections, and hauntings, through ancient tales of chivalry, sacrifice and betrayal."

Comment

CEMETERY is the way to go!

MR. HAUNT

Comment

baked potato????

please tel me more about the baked potato room.....
          Joe Phillips
          The Shallow Grave
          Winter Haven FL
          http://www.theshallowgrave.com/

Comment

Baked Potato Room

Here is Allen's post which gave me the inspiration to try this:

"I figured after I typed it I would be explaining it LOL.
            Baked potato rooms are old school, real old school they hit their hey day with 70s "SCREAM IN THE DARK" haunts. They are a room 12x12 oor 15x15ish that the whole room is coverd- walls, cieling, floor, everything covered in aluminum foil or mylar. The actor is in a mylar stretch suit (like a dot suit but all shiny) and the room is lit by a strobe. Its very disorienting like a dot room. They are great because the guests are blind almost for the next three rooms. The strobe bounces around like crazy.
            Allen H"
            www.mournfulmanor.com

Comment

Originally posted by MournfulManor View Post
              Sheet maze sounds fun, though I'm not sure if 200 sq ft is enough to do it justice. We already have both a butcher room and spider room, which is funny, because both are very similar to what you wrote (perhaps great minds think alike).

However, I'm very intrigued by another of your suggestions on a different thread for the "baked potato room". Seeing as how this space is right before my glowing mask room, and I've been looking for ways to use light to wash out my guest's night vision before stepping into this dark area, I think the combination of aluminum foil and strobe might be just what the doctor ordered.

If anyone else has any suggestions, I'm certainly still open. In the meantime, I'm going to start researching the cheapest way to acquire mylar or aluminum foil...

Oh, and Allen, thanks for your video tutorial on making blood! I found it super helpful and you just helped our budget a TON!!!!
              Not sure how expensive this will be. But a chain link fence maze (Chicken Wire or something, suppose you could use sheets/semi transparent tarpaulins) with a strobe light one. Have actors move around in the maze and you got yourself a winner.
              The strobes knock out the night vision throughout the whole room, and then it takes a while to get it back.

Comment

face room.

you could have a "face room"

its where you take a very simple mask i found some on oriental trading for very cheap. they're called design your own white face masks.

stick those to black balloons and the black balloons to some black plastic,

when thats finished. have an empty spot where a mask is supposed to be.

when patrons come through. and a person with all black on sitting right there so it looks like he is one of the masks on the wall, and at the oppertune time..... BAM! he scares them

this effect works well then the patrons come out of a strobed area or lighted. since they wont be able to see that well, it makes the person thats scaring a lot harder to see

hope this helps

Knightwolf

Comment

Last year we had an area about 500 sq. feet left over and i did the same thing (researched what to do on a very low budget to fill this area) and i decided to make a crate or pallet maze. I went to a bunch of local hardware stores and asked about their pallets and surprisingly a bunch of them just gave them to me. I ended up with about 200 pallets. (Thinking it takes 2 to stack up on top of each other and two 2x4s along the sides to attach the top and bottom together to make a 4x8 foot panel) i had 100 wall panels. I designed the maze and bought some really cheap burlap for some set dressing and put 2 strobe lights up to give it a good effect. All and all i ended up creating a very good looking maze all for under 50 bucks..... It looked really good!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Allen H View Post
                    Sheet maze- (buy your sheets from a hotel liquidator- find them in the phone book- I get a garbage bag full for $30)
                    Butcher room- a table- plastic butcher tools- and watch my human pelt tutorial on you tube http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S9ugZxO1YPs
                    Spider room- Big fake spider in the corner- a web across the entire cieling thats set at 12ft high in the middle and 8ft at the walls. when the group comes in an actor lets go of a rope and the web drops to 8ft and scares the whole goup. a simple pulley and rope doeas the moving of a hand tied -clothes line- web.
                    Do you like any ofthose or do you need more?
                    Those are excellent! Got anymore? I was just about to post a new thread on this very subject.

Comment

I've been wanting to do an upside down room! Cemetery is the first one to come to mind. If there's enough height, take some brown cloth and spray paint patches like black and green. Staple them to the above railing / support frames and then hang tombstones up, upside down, making sure there's enough room for everyone (use small headstones) and buy /make a fake tree upside down in the corner. Now, put an actor in a green ghillie suit or make a suit to blend into the tree top (it'll be on the floor, remember the tree is upside down!)

Put a single small strobe or light facing the patrons before they enter. Not blinding them, just blurr their vision a bit. While they're looking up at all the tombstones, the actor in the tree top comes at them.

This is what I had in mind. I don't know how expensive it would be, black paint for walls, cheap foam tombstones and a fake tree. I think everyone should have a green suit for actors. If not, they should get one! always find a use for them.

Dewayne

Comment

black out

we had a similar thing happen to us, we ran out of time and it became one of the best scares of the haunt.

its a very simple concept blacked out room and a single slow strobe light. the flashes need to be set for the light to flash once every 2 seconds... Then you put an actor in there and have him move between flashes.. i
                        http://www.HALLOWEENROOM.com
                        sigpic
                        "We bring you the WHO WHAT AND WHERE of the industry we all love"

www.InsideThe HauntIndustry.com

Comment

Im doing a set design class at MHC this year. I will have time there to show a ton of ideas to people. There are so many great ways to make a haunt set. I often find the best rooms are a clasic design adapted to your haunts theme.
                          www.Stiltbeaststudios.com
                          http://www.youtube.com/user/Stiltbea...s?feature=mhee

Comment

Pallet maze!

We did this at our haunt last year! It looks great, it was ceap, and we did it just like the other guy said. Super easy and a ton of good scares you can pull off in it!
                            put a red or green light behind it with a fogger and the light beems project through the pallets and into the fog and looks awsome! ...I went on youtube and found a video of a dog barking really loud and just played it on a loop off my laptop... had some people on their toes!

Comment

Originally posted by Allen H View Post
                              Im doing a set design class at MHC this year. I will have time there to show a ton of ideas to people. There are so many great ways to make a haunt set. I often find the best rooms are a clasic design adapted to your haunts theme.
                              Can't make it to MHC this year. Do you know if you'll be doing a DVD on it, or perhaps a YT Weds where you might describe some concepts? Also, placement of your LED's would be a great vid!

C.

Comment

Working...
                              X