Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I need your opinion on an issue of selling/buying a haunt please!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I need your opinion on an issue of selling/buying a haunt please!!!

I'm selling my haunt. I found a potential buyer which is ready to buy the haunt BUT...
    At first he wanted all three semi-truck loads loaded and sent to him then I show up to get my money.
    I said no, I need the funds up front before anything leaves.
    Then he says I'll pay half now and the other half when everything arrives.
    I said the same thing as before but included, I'll load a truck and you pay for that truck load (1/3 of total amount) and so on with the next two trucks.
    We're talkin around $30,000 worth of props/scenes.
    Well I haven't heard back from him yet but I wanted to get your thoughts on this in the meantime.
    I am not comfortable with letting things go unless totally paid first. Especially with that much at stake.
    I can understand about the buyer being concerned of what he is getting and I've re-asured everything on the list will be loaded. But if something changed in the middle of all this under his terms (like they want to pay less), I'm screwed.
    What do you guys think???
    What have you done???

Thanks in advance.
    Tom
    Tom
    Creator of the Dungeon
    WWW.BRICKTOWNAMUSEMENT.COM

I would def get your payment up front no ifs ands or butttssss about it lol I have seen this too many times to count. People always want you to send the stuff and pay for it later. You are selling something...so they pay and you deliver simple as that....You don't go into a grocery store buy $500 worth of food and take it home and then send them payment for it 2 weeks later...it just doesnt work like that! Payment first!

Kale

Comment

Hey Tom sounds like you and me needs to make a deals lol Darrell

Comment

Hey Tom is there any way you could send me some pics of the animatronics, a list of the animatronics that are not homemade also manufacter name. call me and i will give you my e-mail address.

Comment

You did the right thing. However, if I was the buyer I'd buy nothing high ticket sight unseen, I'd use escrow. Buyer pays the cash into a secure escrow, he sees the goods and releases the money under pre-agreed terms. If he doesn't like the goods he doesn't get his money back until you get your goods back.

Comment

As Twin Locusts said, Escrow is the way to go with something like this. Then both parties are protected. If he is paying shipping I would have him pay that upfront, then escrow the purchase. I have heard of more than once people being swindled in deals like that unfortunately. Make sure that if he is not willing to come inspect the purchase that you sign something with a no warranties as is implied on the items so that he can in no way back out if something breaks on him. You can never be too careful on big ticket purchases.

Mike "Pogo" Hach
            -Mike "Pogo" Hach

Comment

Thanks

Thanks guys,

Because it is a high ticket complete package I know it's a trust factor on each end. I have offered for him to come look at everything and/or be here when the items are loaded on each truck this way he sees everything and compare it to the inventory. I guess he's trying to keep from traveling (or scam me) but this is really the only way I can do it.
              Oh well, it's going back on the block till it sells.

Tom
              Tom
              Creator of the Dungeon

Comment

Originally posted by Twin Locusts View Post
                You did the right thing. However, if I was the buyer I'd buy nothing high ticket sight unseen, I'd use escrow. Buyer pays the cash into a secure escrow, he sees the goods and releases the money under pre-agreed terms. If he doesn't like the goods he doesn't get his money back until you get your goods back.
                Twin Locusts,
                The guy can come see the items with no problem on my part.
                The escrow thing sounds possible but I can also see a pissing contest and he didn't want to release the money but yet has my product and then trying to get it all back if something happen. Three semi truck loads is timely and costly and then who would pay to get it all back? I don't know much about the escrow thing.

Thanks,
                Tom
                Tom
                Creator of the Dungeon

Comment

Thanks for the link Allen. I'll be checking that out.

Tom
                  Tom
                  Creator of the Dungeon

Comment

In the world of business,

Never, ever, ever, trust someone but yourself. You always have to think the worst of people. I know that sounds mean, but I learned hard lessons time and time again. So take it from experience, definitely get ALL monies up front!
                    If you're scared, say you're scared...

Comment

Originally posted by overlord View Post
                      Never, ever, ever, trust someone but yourself. You always have to think the worst of people. I know that sounds mean, but I learned hard lessons time and time again. So take it from experience, definitely get ALL monies up front!
                      Thanks for your input.
                      And my thoughts exactly.
                      It's not mean in todays world. Of course there are scamming sellers too so it makes it tough. But when the option to see everything is in place and be there when it gets loaded, that's my protection for the buyer, if they choose to do that.
                      Monet first, loading second.
                      Thanks again,
                      Tom
                      Creator of the Dungeon

Comment

Tom,

Unless you know him....

Can you just PM me his first name.

The deal you explained sounds familar to me, and not in a good way. Could be nothing.

Was it a craigslist contact?

Either way, money before ship or pay on pick up.

You dont want to hear the horror stories Ive heard.

Your insticts already told you to be leary and ask the forum.

John

Comment

Thanks for the Pm Tom.

Nice talking to you. If you follow what I sent you,

you should be just fine.

john
                          Last edited by xtremecreator; 07-23-2011, 09:21 AM.

Comment

Working...
                          X