How To Create a Large Tree?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How To Create a Large Tree?

Anyone have any methods they have use to recreate a large tree trunk indoors in a medium traffic area? I am making a 2x4 frame, and shaping it with chicken wire and burlap, but I am not sure what to coat it with. I have done them before in areas where there is no traffic, but where there will be people walking by brushing up against it, I need something that will last longer and not flake off. Any ideas?
    Thanks
    Justin
    The secret of life is to appreciate the pleasure of being terribly, terribly deceived.

Justin,
    the last tree project we did actually involved a real tree trunk. We cut it in half and stacked the back half on the top. Merged them together, and then with epoxy based sculpting medium and silicone texture stamps seamed it back together. Then for the limbs/branches we built out of 2x4s and covered with chicken wire and used tiger foam to coat it. It was out of reach so we didn't have to hard coat it. Then painted it.
    You can check it out at
    www.gore-galore.com/gallery
    under Scarywood in the drop down menu.
    I sculpted it to look like it was alive with shoulders and limbs that looked like arms, but at the same time real.
    Kevin R. Alvey
    info at gore-galore.com
    www.gore-galore.com
    www.halloweenmusicgalore.com
    www.youtube.com/goregalore13
    www.facebook.com/goregalore

sigpic

Comment

We have one we framed with chicken wire and then had a spray foam company foam it for us. Make sure you get one that the foam gets a hard coat on it when it cures. It works great and has lasted a long time.

Comment

Trees

treeA.jpgJustin,

send me your e mail and I will show you how I did them. If you like them...........................

xtremecreators@aol.com

john
        P1010003.jpgP1010010.jpgP1010011.jpgP1010012.jpg
        Last edited by xtremecreator; 12-08-2011, 07:39 AM.

Comment

Monster mud and burlap works great for trees
          www.Stiltbeaststudios.com
          http://www.youtube.com/user/Stiltbea...s?feature=mhee

Comment

carpet tubes cut up and re attached to make the branches and the base then monster mud and burlap to make a skin
            I'm only doing this to impress 2 people ... The fire marshal and the customer that's it !!!

Comment

The trunks above were made for a HS play a few years back. Basically it's concrete form tubes braced by 2x4s, chicken wired around it and then wrapped in fabric that had been soaked in glue. Basically paper mached or however the heck you spell that word. Unfortunately the bigger picture is way to blurry to make out details when larger.

Comment

re: tree

for mine i took about 6 pieces of circular ply wood and screwed them together with 4x4 at about 3 foot intervals, i didn't line them up perfectly to give it a cool look. this frame then had holes drilled at angles on the top piece of plywood and pvc pipes where placed into the holes. the frame was then covered with chicken wire. next we took old bed sheets and dipped them into a mix of brown paint, wall putty and water. the coated sheets were draped over the frame. once dried we sprayed with plumbers foam. in lines all the way down and added more brown/ grey paint. the last thing we did was stick fake foliage into the ends of the pvc. the end result was great, it was solid and looked very realistic. the only downsides were the weight and it was a little messy to make. we ended up with a giant tree for less than $100.

Comment

I have had alot of Pm's asking how I made these trees.
                  SO...
                  I am doing a new set of trees next month and will make a tutorial.

I will post once Im done.....

Thanks,
                  John
                  XtremeCreators LLC

Comment

We did a gigantic tree (about 20 feet tall and about 5 or 6 ft. diameter base) in our city square of our haunt. Knowing it was going to be touched a lot and that we don't plan on going anywhere for a while, we made ours a little more permanent, though not completely. Wood frame, chicken wire base, monster mud and sheets and then a coating of cement. It sure took a while with all the steps, but it turned out great for us.
                    There's nothing wrong with you, there's something wrong with the world you live in.

www.evilusions.com

Comment

Cool Trees

Cool Trees John, very nbx.
                      Chris Stafford
                      1331 Entertainment Group
                      Denver Haunted Houses - The Asylum & 13th Floor Haunted House http://www.getscared.com
                      13th Floor Haunted House - San Antonio, Texas http://www.13thfloorsanantonio.com
                      13th Floor Haunted House - Phoenix, Arizona http://www.13thflooraz.com

Comment

Working...
                      X