Help with our Entrance Door

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help with our Entrance Door

We run a Non-Profit Haunt in donated space at our Community Centre and old Fire Station Garage. We transform it in one week.
    We need a better entrance and all of our budget is pretty much invested inside the Haunt. Guests enter through a standard size door. We have lots of teens we can put to work before school, anxious to help with anything. We have great paper mache skills and can whip off dozens of decent skulls quickly and cheap. I didn't just want a simple frame of skulls around the door, and it doesn't need to be skulls. ( FYI ..we never worked with foam carving before)
    Any head turning ideas? It may have to be free standing. The building was recently renovated with new siding.

What is your theme, and whats your dream entryway?
    www.Stiltbeaststudios.com
    http://www.youtube.com/user/Stiltbea...s?feature=mhee

Comment

Tribal, and arch- like ...extending out about 4 feet.
      Mossy, eyecatching to drive-by traffic....hint of torture.., bones etc..
      Something to make the children on the school bus go eewwwww
      Love the silicone glove tutorial...by the way!!!!!

Comment

I made 10ft stone (looking) arch entryway for a play that I did for less than $50. I bought some EPS foam, cut it into generic stone shapes, liquid nailed it to a general frame made of 2x2s and luan, then coated the whole thing in monster mud/plock, drybrushed with some "oops" HD outdoor paint. Add some of your skulls and some nice nasty moss made from shredded burlap painted green, and it could look pretty cool. Just one of many possible ideas.

Mike "Pogo" Hach
        -Mike "Pogo" Hach

Comment

That sounds great. Certainly love the price!
          I am anxious to try your moss idea. Thank you

Comment

Fool Everyone, amaze them!

Fill the door opening with a set of stairs going up and out of sight, which move on casters to allow entrance! The upper stairs could be an optical illusion with paint to keep the whole thing thinner, easier to handle/build.
            How about hiding the opening with cloth, then the curtain pulls open and the door is numerous sets of hands, fingers spread out, inter-locked with the hands on the other side of the door. Two cafe-door double sprung hinges would work. This will take some time to build and make work right but then most will remember it and be impressed, I believe.
            Entertaining and impressing the customers creates patrons from mere customers and it sure is nice to have patrons who return, bring their friends, send their friends and usually do not complain about the ticket price.='s Pretty NICE!
            hauntedravensgrin.com

Comment

Im loving Mike's suggestion, and mine is along the same lines as his. Reading your ideal I thought this up

This is a super simple sketch just so you get the idea. Its card board boxes crushed on a few corners to break up the hard corners. They get stacked on top of each other till nine feet or so.
              Th big fridge box on top has 1x4 lumber inside to support it and help it span the distance. the spikes on it are also 1x4s that have been shaped and painted black.
              Once the whole thing is made then its covered in burlap and monster mud and detailed to look like this kinda-

Do you follow me? Its tribal, will have a wow factor, it has skulls and bones (you could even impale a skeleton on one of the spires) and moss would look good on the rocks! Cost...about $150 or so minus bones.
              Is this close to what you had in mind?
              Allen H
              www.Stiltbeaststudios.com
              http://www.youtube.com/user/Stiltbea...s?feature=mhee

Comment

This is fantastic! I have our Haunt Team coming over tonight for a meeting and a cocktail! Can't wait to show them! I opened your message and owls started to Whooo like crazy outside my window ...a good sign I think.

Comment

Working...
                X