No announcement yet.

Question about facade building

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Even though I need the work, I will tell you some trade secrets.

Hello,
    I have been building Theatrical props & sets, themed environments, and signage for many years. I have used foam for building sets, signage and have also done architectural details on buildings. There are two products to do this. One is an adhesive that is in a tube you use in a caulk gun it is PL Premium Construction Adhesive. I have used this for years and it has never failed me the trick is it takes some time to dry so you will need to clamp or screw the item onto your substrate until the adhesive sets. This product can be found at The Home Depot and Lowe’s.
    The other item is harder to get but not as good for gluing foam onto other materials but great for gluing foam to foam. It is called Enerfoam. It is harder to get unless you are in the construction business. You can use “The Great Stuff” for windows and doors but this expands to much so use just a little. Practice a few times before you use it on your actual project. “The Great Stuff” can be bought at The Home Depot and Lowe’s.
    As for applying a hard coat to your project I use a polyurethane hardcoat it is great but expensive. If you are a professional haunted attraction I recommend it. The only problem is you will need someone to spray it for you. The equipment is expensive and very touchy. As for a cheaper option you can use stucco. It is not as hard but it will help keep it in one piece a little longer. I use both on my projects that are to represent a stone or cement like material.
    I hope this has been helpfull and I am not too late on this conversation. Please let me know what you use and if it worked for you. I would love to see how your project turned out.

Happy Building,
    Robert Travis
    Scenic Art Productions
    ScenicArtProductions@Yahoo.COM

Comment

Thanks guys!

We haven't completely decided which route we are going, we spent all weekend routing and painting, so we still have a little ways to go before actual construction, but when all is finished, I will definitely post pics and what we did to mount it. Thank so much again for all the fabulous input!
      If you're scared, say you're scared...

Comment

Working...
      X