Building a boiler/furnace

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Building a boiler/furnace

We are building a boiler room for our haunt this year, anyone have any ideas on what to use to make a boiler or old looking furnace out of?

plywood box 6ftw x7ftH 3ftD

Cutting the top third off of a plastic 55gallon drum to put on top, maybe a 4 or 6" PVC pipe headed to the cieling

Buy a cheap round card table thats between 3 and 4ft across. Mount that on the front, then put a bunch of fake bolt heads on it. I mold and cast my own, but they are available commercially. (If you want I will do a video on casting them.)
    Rich made a killer boiler door out of wood a while back
    http://www.hauntworld.com/haunted_ho...ht=boiler+door

I made a (not killer) quickie door out of foam. So foam is another great option.

cutting vents and letting guests see a flicker light inside (vents in the door) will help the illusion (dont forget sound).

Then paint and detail.
    www.Stiltbeaststudios.com
    http://www.youtube.com/user/Stiltbea...s?feature=mhee

Comment

Here is a picture of a local haunted houses boiler. Use for inspiration :-).

Yes, it's made to look like a face...
      Attached Files
      Last edited by beardedbil; 07-30-2011, 03:29 PM.
      Bill Rod.
      Dark Tech Effects
      Automated DMX Lighting
      Show Control - Audio / Visual Effects

Comment

Thanks guys, appreciate your ideas and now the creative juices are flowing. Sincerely appreciate your ideas.

Comment

When you are all done.

Ask your friendly gas man for one or make a phoney one yourself, a tag officially declaring that your boiler/furnace is unsafe for operation and has had the gas turned off by the gas company. Make it large and hang it prominently infront.
          I got a real condemned tag.. from my friendly gas man... then when the look and sound of it running begin.. it makes them wonder all the more?
          The tag should be hung on the gas pipe itself next to the gas cock and this could all be at eye-level.
          I also ran a very small flexible pipe along the gas pipe, used electrical tape to hold it on the backside of the pipe, out of sight, then had a small amount of air from the compressor hissing there all the time, just like the sound of a small gas leak!
          Details, details! "Sell" the idea with details.
          . but then I don't have a sound system playing in my house, such a thing would probably ruin anyone hearing a mere small hiss.
          hauntedravensgrin.com

Comment

Discarded pool pump parts are my favorites. I stick screws all over them then cover them with Aves Epoxy sculpt to make them look like rivets. An easy paint job is Black Automotive Primer ,followed with light mists of Copper and Antique Brass paint. Finally I give it green and brown oxide acrylic washes. Some windshield washer fluid in the washes works good.
            Last edited by Wellington Hackmeat; 08-02-2011, 08:16 PM.

Comment

But does Anybody Make It Real Scary?

Maybe just attach some random pieces of foam insulation to a few areas then using some plaster of wall board mix spread on a thick layer.. making it look like "asbestos"!
              Sprinkle some baby powder around. Have some coughing rats being surprisingly friendly.
              hauntedravensgrin.com

Comment

LOL Jim, I can so envision beady eyed rats coughing and trying to crawl up the customers leg to get a ride outta the boiler room.....
                Kimmy

http://hauntedkimmycreations.weebly.com/

Comment

Working...
                X