hillbilly theme

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• hillbilly theme

im going to be makeing a hillbilly theme for the haunted house im going to acting at but i do not know what to make it is a out door haunted i need some help on this one i want to make it good

squirrel.jpgWell I would start with lots of rusty old farm tools, pitchforks, axes,that kinda of stuff to line your walls. Moonshine mason jars and the old clay jugs and stills comes to mind as well. Possibly a rusty old truck or even just a chunk of a frame of one sitting around. Lots of rats and stuff crawling around. Outhouses too. An old clothesline hung with various sweat stained and ripped and bloodied clothing hung out to dry. And of course you need lots of dead things hanging around. I made this dead squirrel using a soda bottle, some wire, paper towels and latex. The tail is painted fake fur. Sorry i don't have a better pic right now, but if you'd like a step by step on it I can make it for ya. Chickens are always around too on a hillybilly farm so maybe some random scatterings of chickens like feathers, etc and rusty old tin cans thrown everywhere.

Sadly I live in hillbilly country, so this theme I can do!
    Last edited by hauntedkimmy; 08-07-2011, 06:14 AM.
    Kimmy

http://hauntedkimmycreations.weebly.com/

Comment

home sweet home
      in order to see the orchestra ...you must turn your back on the crowd...

www.HAUNTEDHOOCHIE.COM
      www.DEADACRES.COM

Comment

The dead squirrel prop looks very real. I would love the instructions!!

Comment

That is a good looking squirrel......I need to know how to do it....the real ones start smelling by week two! JK......maybe......

Comment

Thanks all! The squirrel is super easy. I can explain it and if you need more info, I can make another one and take some pics along each step.

You'll need an empty personal sized plastic soda bottle or water bottle, like around 16 ounce sized, smooth white paper towels (like Viva, without quilting or printed design), liquid latex, cotton balls, some wire or pipe cleaners, black beads or something similar for the eyes, faux fur for the tail, and paint.

I started out by wrapping wire around the neck of the bottle about 2 inches down for the forelegs and looped it around a few times to give some structure for the legs. I repeated it again for the back legs. I balled up two sheets of paper towels to resemble a head and stuck some down the neck of the bottle and tacked it with hot glue. Then I just used half sheets of the paper towel covered in latex to cover it all up, keeping the towels bunched together to resemble the muscles of the little guy and wrapped the wire legs in cotton balls (pull apart the balls to form a long piece before ya get your fingies covered in latex, sooo much easier) and let it dry. Gave it a coat of red acrylic with a dab of blue mixed in, let that dry and antiqued the critter with brown acrylic watered down to give it some depth. I then gave it a thick coat of clear poly to make it look freshly skinned, but you could add permablood or whatever your fave gory stuff is.

To form the tail, I cut out a rectangle of fur, folded it in half, good side in, sewed down the long seam and one short seam to form basically a pillowcase, then flipped it right side out. My fur was white, so I added lots of gray acrylic and some brown to make it look squirrel like. When everything was dry, I cut a small hole in what was the bottom of the bottle and wiggled my tail end into it and reinforced with hot glue. Glued on some beads for eyes and roped up the tail to make it hillybilly worthy and POOF! Instant squirrel. You could do rabbits, raccoons, possums, anything in this manner, just find a plastic bottle the right size for the critter you are making and add the details like a fluffy tail and long ears for a rabbit, etc.squirrel.jpg
            Kimmy

Comment

Suggestion

we did this one year and had a old swing in the woods with a old shack and had the actor have a banjo.. and started picking it when customers would get close to him... freaked people out.. cause they thought it was a dummy...

Comment

Love the squirrel! I must give this a try!! I also love the banjo idea!
                Great job!!

Comment

Kim that squirrel is pretty cool! Looks pretty real. Mud dont get any ideas! Dont get squirrely on us like you did up at t.w! Ha ha!
                  Damon
                  Frightmasters
                  Damon Carson

Comment

I made two little squirrels now. Thank you Kimmy. I ran out of latex, so I made the second one with tissue paper and white glue. They are not Kimmy quality, but I am very happy with the look in a dim room! Now I think I'll work on a bucket of chicken feet and crow feet made from polymer clay. ( My 10 year old's idea of what would be disgusting).
                    I need to buy a new charger for my camera and I'll post a pic

Comment

Oh I can't wait to see pics!!! Too cool! And the chicken feet sound amazing too!! I've always wanted to do that, just haven't got around to it!
                      Kimmy

Comment

Luv the dead squirrel. Nothing freaks my wife out more than inbred hillbillies, so you can guess what my favorite costume is. Remember..... if you hear banjo music, paddle faster.
                        Mick

http://www.deathecho.com

Comment

Working...
                        X