Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anyone know how many customers a haunts gets each season??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Luke, you bring up good points, and sometimes haunts, just like anything else can luck out. It reminds me of those impressive weight loss commercials where in the fine print reads "results not typical".

@ the original poster: If it were me in your shoes and this is something you really want to do, I would consider a yard haunt for your first year. Yard haunts are great at getting your feet wet in the management side of the haunt industry. You can still make up a business plan, can avoid lots of the operational costs involved and focus on props and the "fun stuff" like acting and set design. Minimal creative advertising can draw people to your door, and a small fee can recoup some of your costs. If you invest this way in props, lighting, etc. and keep it small, you can take all that with you to a more permanent haunt if you do well, so no loss in $$ that way. It will allow you a peek at your customer base as well. If you draw in huge numbers then you can feel fairly confident that a larger haunt will do well. It will give you a taste at managing a haunt...you might get into that "hat" and realize that it's not for you.

If starting a haunt is what you want to do, then start researching what your area needs for safety, ADA, fire safety, codes, etc. It will take a few months to weed through that if it's anything like where I'm at. There's classes to attend only offered at certain times of the year, etc. I would get that info under your belt and decide then whether or not you feel it's worthwhile. Then decide on where the haunt should be located, choosing somewhere that keeps the demographic we cater to in mind. Talk to other haunts in the area, they might be a valuable resource for you. Attend some tradeshows as well if you haven't already...if not for prop purchasing, at least for the networking alone. There are some great people out there willing to help get you through the starting up process, point you in the right direction, even something as simple as ordering buckies in bulk to save $$. Some of them even offer classes to help you get started or how to save money by making props, etc. And the tours are awesome. I learned so much talking to the owners and seeing just how others operated behind the scenes...it was money well spent to see how problems we were facing with the haunt I was with at the time were solved in another haunt.
    Kimmy

http://hauntedkimmycreations.weebly.com/

Comment

Kimmy makes a good point, yard haunts are like the "minor leagues". I did one first in Chicago, then Vegas from like 1977 to 1999...wow 22 years!!! ( missed one or two moving ect.!!!) You can learn alot without as many restrictions! How ever I would build the yard haunt just as thought it was a pro haunt, not using bastardized door closers and washing machine solenoids...heck with eBay & craigslist the real deal is just as cheap and 100 times better!! This way if you decide to go pro you might be able to even use some of the stuff or just have a small modification!!

Luke- if you have "real" business experience, you have a leg up on most that want to do the haunt business. 90% have never operated a business. It can really effect the choices made and the money that isn't!!! Seems like you are apporaching it like we did, Had jobs and other businesses and approached the haunt as a part-time "paid hobby". Decides how much I was willing to be able to lose and slowly build the business. Since I had back up income it wasn't necessary for the haunt to make anything the first couple years (which it didn't!!!) Reputation grew, experience grew, product grew and attendance grew!!

I certainly not saying the haunt business won't work....heck I beat the odds...just saying you need to really go in with eyes open and pocket book open, work really hard and hope for the best!! Just don't go in half-assed!! If you start out on too much of a shoestring budget you may develop a repuration that you never live down. Better to stay playing at the yard haunt longer and accumulate assets to go in correctly!! Good luck!!!
      R&J Productions
      Las Vegas, NV
      www.LasVegasHaunts.com

Comment

I am not a pro haunter, but from what I have learned from others on this forum it's easy for business minded people to drive by a couple of haunts........guess how many people are at each haunt.............figure in a dollar amount and then come up with a profit. WRONG WRONG WRONG!!!

That is easy to do, but you first like everyone else have said you must love haunting to start what ever haunting venture you want to start.

A lot of people don't understand how much time, money, and effort goes to planning and opening a haunt. IT TAKES A LOT!!!

Most haunters would tell you they take a month or so off after October and then hit things hard for the next season come Feb or March.

Start as a home haunter or work at a haunt first!!!

All of us haunters big or small has PRIDE and the LOVE for what we do, money is not the first priority it's the rush of the scare that keeps us going!

Mr. Haunt

Comment

A proper plan and research is your #1 goal. Need to figure not only building size but how much is it going to cost and how will you pay for that over 12mths or do you get a temporary lease?

How much will props and building supplies cost as well as are you paying your actors?

Last major item is marketing. You can build the greatest haunt but what good is it if no one knows about it?

Your location is a big factor too. Not only area population but disposable income of that population.

Comment

Working...
          X