I want your input!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I want your input!

I am now seeing where Life Safety Codes are requiring Voice-Evac Systems. I dunno I can see the point that this would let everyone know this is not part of the show but then again in chaos who is going to stop and say listen lets see what they are saying. So my question is and it's something we all should stay on top of...

1.. Do you have sprinklers in your haunt
    2.. Do you have pull stations and strobes
    3.. Do you have the Voice Evac

Just seems like we all keep getting the short end of the stick good haunts put safety first but goodness how far can this go..

1... I have a sprinkley system
    2.. I have pull stations and strobes
    3.. I do not have voice evac

This is just a poll on who pays attention to the codes and what other haunts have and dont have. Shane and it's this is a very good topic! Shane
    sigpic

I am a fire marshal here in SC. We are still using the 2006 IFC and IBC codes and the state is not going to adopt the 2009 codes, they are going to skip to the 2012. (Politics and a long story) However, codes are still very much up to the interpretation of your local fire marshal. To me...for a special amusement building like a haunted house....as long as you have it set up where if a pull station is pulled or when an emergency happens the house lights come on and you have some way of notifying the customers to exit the building (a PA system with a recording is a voice evac to me) I actually have my haunt "house lights" wired with a plug on the outside where I have a generator so that even if we lose power we will have house lights. This serves as a good addition to "emergency lighting" I'm not saying your local fire marshal will not be a stickler because I've read some on these forums that go above and beyond.....but for the most part as long as you make an honest effort at promoting safety (which we all want to do, because nobody wants lawsuits or anyone to be hurt) and have an emergency action plan in place that works, I really think that the fire marshal will work with you. However, I've also wondered why there isnt a voice from a haunted house association that speaks on behalf of the industry to the International Code Congress etc. about what these code changes do to our industry. The Home Builder's Assoc. of SC talked here in the state and had so much "pull" they talked their law makers into "opting out" of residential sprinkler system codes because it would hurt their business because new homes would cost more with a sprinkler system. I think if enough of the "big players" in the haunt industry talked together they could educate the politicians on things like this that they wouldn't normally think about. Just my soapbox.

Comment

Shane,

We have all three plus our system is shunted so that if the fire supression system is activated by any means (pull station, smoke detector or sprinkler activation) power is cut to all props and sound systems and our emergency lights activate.
      Last edited by MindWerxKMG; 08-15-2011, 12:22 PM.
      Kevin
      MindWerxKMG, LLC

Comment

Originally posted by MindWerxKMG View Post
        Shane,

We have all three plus our system is shunted so that if the fire supression system is activated by any means (pull station, smoke detector or sprinkler activation) power is cut to all props and sound systems and our emergency lights activate.
        We have the same thing, except that, as long as we still have power, the overhead lights turn on as well.
        Brian Warner
        Owner of Evilusions www.EVILUSIONS.com
        Technical Director of Forsaken Haunted House www.Forsakenhaunt.com
        Mechanical Designer (animatronics) at Gore Galore www.Gore-Galore.com

Comment

3?

Just 3 responces? Shane and it's come on I want to hear from everyone! Shane
          sigpic

Comment

We have heat sensors, fire extinguishers, elights, egress hallways and voice evac.
            Next year we are putting in a full sprinkler system. It is not required but we are having it done..
            "My day is not complete unless I have terrified a complete stranger!"

Erick James Gyrion
            Owner - Oblivion Haunted House
            Menasha, Wisconsin

www.oblivionhauntedhouse.com

Comment

We have a fire alarm system, smoke detection, heat sensors, voice evacuation, emergency lighting, and sprinkler system. We have a shunted system as well.

Anything more than a sprinkler system and emergency lighting is completely redundant in my opinion. Not to mention the excessive inspections and permiting, and the fees that come along with them.

The increased regulations this year have closed a few smaller haunts and prevented a couple others from opening...

"They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." - Benjamin Franklin
              Jordan Renda
              www.NightTerrorsHauntedHouse.com

Comment

Working...
              X