Need help locating a resource

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need help locating a resource

I was reading a lot last night and watching a lot of videos on silicone mask making.

There was a particular resource I want to see again, but can't find it, and it's driving me friggen nuts.

At first I thought it was a video, but maybe just even a step by step with pictures.

It's a long shot, but might sound familiar to someone here.

Pretty sure it wasnt Allen's or BITY.

I can't even remember the mask they were making, I just remember the head form was just a head no shoulders. It was mounted to a round wood base, might have been slightly green wood.

After the mold itself was made, they specifically mentioned putting "1/2" of clay on the inside of the mold. They then put the head form back in before pouring the material.
    (this is the part that is catching my interest)

The mold was held together with bolts that went straight through the mold on the edges, they were a nice silver. Not sure if they were wing nuts or regular.

I remember all the colors of this.... but none of the details to lead me back.

I went through my entire history for yesterday, and no luck.

It was a great and 'professional' looking setup they had going. I would just like to cross reference to the other materials I have found.

was it?
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0xTY9LhcgWk
    http://www.theeffectslab.com/forums/...675d9430d11306

the process you are describing sounds more like making a core for an animatronic skin as opposed to a mask. In that case the sculpt is made first, then when the mold is popped and the clay is cleaned out a half inch of clay is put in the mold and a fiberglass or plaster core is made from that.
    I have no more time to dig (I have moinkey to mold) but I will look later in case thats not it.
    www.Stiltbeaststudios.com
    http://www.youtube.com/user/Stiltbea...s?feature=mhee

Comment

Thank you very much for your help Allen.

Neither one of those was the 'one' I can't find, although I had also seen them on my journey.

And that particular part was catching my interest because I wasn't sure why they were doing it, putting clay over the detailed mold loses your detail. Guess that's what happens when you stay up till 5am regularly though, can't remember anything.

All the tutorials for silicone mask making online are great and wonderful all the up to the process of making the mold. After that, zilch.

Get headform.
      Sculpt cool mask.
      Make Mold.
      Demold.
      ???

Once I have the mold, I'm just not quite sure the process for casting the mask itself.

I read there's the sloshing method, but that's for latex. I read just fill it up, let it sit for a bit, then dump what hasn't hardened out...also for latex.
      Obviously I just need a method that captures the detail of my sculpt, and hopefully fits well enough that it will move with my facial functions.

Granted this is my first attempt at such a mask, and I'm not SPFX, so my quality will suck at first I realize, but that's ok.

Guess I'll just have to wait till you finish that video of yours.

Thanks again Allen.

Comment

Hey shhot me a call and i will talk you througfh what i know. 469-337-4929. now till 6:30 is good for me or on Sun

Comment

for a good time call 469-337-4929

Comment

A few questions

Can a two piece plaster mold be used to slush mold a silicone mask? My thought was to paint the first coats of silicone in with the halves separate, then join the molds and bond the halves together.

Also, Allen, why do you use water based clay for the sculpt rather than oil based? Thanks.

Comment

" Can a two piece plaster mold be used to slush mold a silicone mask? My thought was to paint the first coats of silicone in with the halves separate, then join the molds and bond the halves together."
              Yes, you can. But it is a ver inconsistant way and there is a decent chance it wint turn out right (to thick or thin in some areas) and then you have wasted silicone which is very expenxive. Plaster molds are fine- three piece mold front of face and split the back in to two pieces. I inject silicone into the mold. It is difficult but it gives the masks the best results. Aside from materials the process is difficult so thats another reason for the high cost.

"Also, Allen, why do you use water based clay for the sculpt rather than oil based? Thanks. "
              I make masks the first time mostly because I need them- I also normally need them as soon as possible. Water based clay is softer so it is faster to sculpt in, its also much cheaper. If I were w hobbiest and I worke on a sculpt for a month before casting it then I might use more oil based. I do use Monster clay from monster makers on ocassion and I like that alot but it is harder to work than water based. One of my next tutorials I use the monster clay.
              Allen H

Comment

Working...
              X