Is Freddy Kruger Irrelevent?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

the bar Next Door

Was drug into Federal Court 65 miles away, lost the suit, paid $7,000 because a band they hired played music and nobody was signed up with ASCAP or whoever?
    The band? Well who are they? Where do they all live? Do they have any measurable "Money"?
    "Deep Pockets" was in effect, the bar had money and a perminent address= Summons, legal action.
    This is a rural farm town ("village"?) full of retired people in the middle of a cornfield.
    hauntedravensgrin.com

Comment

Hmmm, I would think the "fair use" clause would cover you there. Additionally, the fact that the band, although cover a recorded song, it is their version of the song. Similar to the lawsuit regarding the michael myers mask, where one company produced a similar mask. In that case the Supreme court upheld that no infringement took place, almost solely on the fact that the second company used an original mold, one that the second company made, etc. Could be maybe ASCAP had deeper pockets.
      Like a midget at a urinal, you gotta be on your toes

http://www.wellstownshiphauntedhouse.com

Comment

we r so copied almost all my pm' s on here ask how to do this or that..sorry... i never answer

personally i have never like movie themes

but if its well done it can be Rawkin.....case in point ...Fear Fair
        in order to see the orchestra ...you must turn your back on the crowd...

www.HAUNTEDHOOCHIE.COM
        www.DEADACRES.COM

Comment

When it comes to movie charictors, I don't like them if they don't look the part.

Such as cheap looking costumes and masks

Short and chunky Jasons

Short and skinny Freddys and Mikes

Short Leather Faces

If you are going to pay someone to play these parts "fill ALL of the shoe" just not half of it.

Just a thought,

Mr. Haunt

Comment

Working at Spirit last year I got to watch as a lot of younger ppl and thirtysomething women were actually terrified of the lifesize animatronic of the 2010 Freddy. So you could do a Freddy bit for an easy scare but use him as a distraction for the real scare. Have a character of your own design attack the Freddy actor while he's goofing with the customers. They will have a false sense of familiarity but then all bets are off when he's gutted in front of them. Some ppl will enjoy seeing Freddy, some will be afraid of him, and others will freak when he's killed. Win, win, win

Comment

I am going to be Freddy next year at the haunt at my kids' elementary school.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1420615571.766748.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1420615595.986711.jpg

Comment

Yes Freddy was done 15 years ago!

Comment

Irrelevant, yes, still scary to a bunch of snot nosed kids who don't know who he is, yeah, still scary. But, I'd never have him in a pro haunt.
                  Tanner Phillips
                  Mastermind
                  The Darkest Hour
                  http://darkesthourhaunt.com

Comment

The remake just came out in 2010 (which sucked...lol), however I think it turned alot more people on to the original Robert Englund movies. Also, I just saw Freddy on a McDonald's commercial 4 days ago...

...and Hot Topic carries Freddy's red and green sweater every Halloween, that is a clothing store that is usually up on current trends.

...so I would say he is still relevant.
                    Last edited by Mike Danielson; 01-08-2015, 05:45 PM.

Comment

Yes and no. Don't let anyone tell you no because I hear all the time people saying where is Freddy, Myers or Jason. Additionally proof is in the pudding here... supposedly the most popular haunted house at Universal this year was the Halloween attraction proving these characters are still scary and iconic. Once New Line decides to make another Freddy movie you'll probably see a Freddy attraction at Universal.

A burnt up man running around with knives on his hands IS SCARY without question.

On the other hand most haunted houses today are building up their own icon characters and build their haunts up around their own back stories so in that sense I would say NO he's irrelevant.

Let me put it to you this way... if you could afford a license from New Line for Freddy attraction and you had a scream park I can assure you it would be your most anticipated attraction that year without question. Just to have him appear in one of your houses... who cares? No one!

Larry
                      Larry Kirchner
                      President
                      www.HalloweenProductions.com
                      www.BlacklightAttractions.com
                      www.HauntedHouseSupplies.com
                      www.HauntedHouseMagazine.com

Comment

I have to agree w yes and no.

The idea Wes Craven came up with Freddy Krueger was genius. A child killer that kills you in your dreams. No hiding, no running, he will indeed eventually get you. There is no escape. Its just too bad after the original movie Wes didn't do anymore. But luckily Robert Englund and his superb acting kept the character alive! And then they tried to make Freddy funny w all the one liners. People still loved him but the comedy watered down the scare factor. If you could incorporate a haunt based on the first movie w new and original scares and a few familiar ones from the first movie you would have an awesome haunted house. Freddy can appear many ways! And anything can happen in a dream so the possibilities are endless! I would love to see a new Freddy movie w Robert Englund in it. And Wes Craven directing or writing it! And a haunt to boot! A Nightmare on Elmstreet scared the hell out of people when it first came out! Wes Craven has rewritten the book on horror many times w this. Last house of the left. And Scream put horror movies back on the map. Without that who would even say haunted houses would be going like they are today. Fangoria almost went under in the 90's. Remember when they were putting Jurassic Park on the front page?!
                        Damon
                        www.frightmasters.weebly.com
                        Damon Carson

Comment

The question shouldn't be if Freddy Krueger is still relevant the question should be why is anyone still resorting to this played out old-school character when they can be creative and create new characters?

DA

Comment

I agree with DA... he's 110% right.

I'd say yeah you'd love to use him if you have a screampark and licensed the name building and branding a haunt around Freddy. Otherwise skip it. Larry
                            Larry Kirchner
                            President
                            www.HalloweenProductions.com
                            www.BlacklightAttractions.com
                            www.HauntedHouseSupplies.com
                            www.HauntedHouseMagazine.com

Comment

Disappointed at Universal

Originally posted by drfrightner View Post
                              Yes and no. Don't let anyone tell you no because I hear all the time people saying where is Freddy, Myers or Jason. Additionally proof is in the pudding here... supposedly the most popular haunted house at Universal this year was the Halloween attraction proving these characters are still scary and iconic. Once New Line decides to make another Freddy movie you'll probably see a Freddy attraction at Universal.

A burnt up man running around with knives on his hands IS SCARY without question.

On the other hand most haunted houses today are building up their own icon characters and build their haunts up around their own back stories so in that sense I would say NO he's irrelevant.

Let me put it to you this way... if you could afford a license from New Line for Freddy attraction and you had a scream park I can assure you it would be your most anticipated attraction that year without question. Just to have him appear in one of your houses... who cares? No one!

Larry
                              I attended HHN in Orlando and was really disappointed in the Myer's house. It was authentic to the movie and the detail was OK, but they used the same style of scare in each room, (which is pretty much the norm with Michael Myers) where he appears from behind a door, or sheet holding the knife in his classic pose. The issue I had at Universal was I’m 6’0 tall and most of the actors were shorter than me. Some had baggy coveralls on, and some fit well. Overall, it seemed like a last minute idea that they threw together. The lines were long and people seemed to be enjoying it, but the quality of that attraction compared to the rest just wasn’t there. A vs P and the Walking Dead House had props and effects straight out of the movies. The Myers house seemed like something I would expect to see at a local haunt. I went through it twice just to give it a 2nd chance was disappointed once again. But the reality is, people still fear those icon movie characters. I remember visiting a good friend’s haunt last year and making a comment about his Michael Myers being subpar and there was a teenager (about 17 or 18) standing in line that overheard our conversation. As soon as he heard “Michael Myers” he literally jumped out of line and said “If he’s in there, I’m not going in!” and he walked back toward the parking lot. Are these characters relevant to today’s style of haunts? Not really, but they still can be scary to some.

Comment

I loved the Nightmare on elm street movies, Halloween and Jason movies but I think they are better left to the movies and not haunted houses. Like Torture said they usually end up being short kids wearing the costumes and it kills it.

DA

Comment

Working...
                                X