Movie Theatre Advertising

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Movie Theatre Advertising

With all the horror movies coming out this year this seems like a great way to hit our target audience. Has anyone tried this in the past? I'm going to contact them this week for prices, Mike
    Mike Bizub

Ghouls Gulch www.GHOULSGULCH.com

I talked to a theatre manager about this a couple of years ago, but before we finished the deal, the theatre went out of business. This was not a big chain of theatres and the rates were quite reasonable. Let us know what you find.

Dave
    Lords of Chaos, LLC
    House of Chaos Haunted Attraction

Comment

We have also looked into advertising there. My concern is that if most people are like me, they finally get out of the concession line with bearly enough time to catch the movie!!!

So I would go see a couple movies at the theater to see just how many people are really there to see your ad.

They will of course base the cost on the total number of people at the movie, NOT how many people get there before the rtrailers start.

Maybe do a little research then talk to them. When they state they base it on 200 people in the theater, you can say " well I personally viewed X number of movies there and I only count 20 people viewing the ads."

But if thee IS only 20 people....why advertise????
      R&J Productions
      Las Vegas, NV
      www.LasVegasHaunts.com

Comment

I once advertised in movie s by putting my ad in their little , slick "Movie Guides" printed and neatly stacked in the lobby.
        I basically bought land fill.
        I had maybe one call and 6 customers from a $600.oo advertising venture in two theaters , each 65 miles from me.
        No, my admission was not $100.oo per/person, it was $3.oo/per/person, so I did not come out well on this deal.
        hauntedravensgrin.com

Comment

Right now, we are throwing out the idea of filming some stuff this year(people getting scared, actors running around, etc.) and taking it to the theaters next year. We are gonna get a good editor in our area, and he will cut it to look like a trailer. So as your sitting there watching previews of new movies, ours comes up. People might think it's a new movie, but then realize it's a haunted house in the area.

It might be a long shot, but this is what we are discussing.
          Brad Bowen
          Owner/Operator of the Ultimate Fear Haunted House in Shreveport, LA
          www.ultimatefear.net

Comment

Good luck with that. Doesn't the movie companies determine what trailers are shown for the movie thats playing? I dont think the movie theatre has a say what trailer go with what movie. I almost think you'll have to contact Lions Gate, Twisted Pictures, etc..... to see about gtting a trailer for one of there movies. I could be wrong, but it seems to me the studios pick the trailers and NOT the theatres.

Comment

They are actualy mini comercials that run before the actual trailers. Its mixed in with the movie trivia stuff. Mike
              Mike Bizub

Ghouls Gulch www.GHOULSGULCH.com

Comment

I had looked into this. A few things to consider: Many theaters only show THEIR commercials for the 15 minutes before the movie starts. They will show yours before that so no one is in there. Another thing I was told is they only wanted "Kid friendly" commercials before incase any little kids were at the movie. No blood, nothing scary. I know, its ahorror movie rated R but that wsa their rule. Anyhow, good luck!!
                www.atheateroflostsouls.com Or if you need makeup or supplies www.abramagic.com

"I am a frickin evil genius who deserves some frickin respect!"

Comment

What kind of format or film would your commercial have to on to be able to be played or shown on their equiptment? Wouldn't this be a problem?
                  Maybe an expensive problem?
                  I'm just asking because I don't have a clue.
                  The movie trivia usually seems to be indirectly promoting the upcoming movies.
                  A local theater would show a couple of still photos of local businesses accompanied with this very cheessey sounding , ridiculous music(if you could call it music?) My son and I would play along with it by using the straws sruck through the pop lids as trombone slides, they made a very similair sound to the "music" on the commercials.
                  hauntedravensgrin.com

Comment

At least with the theatre I talked to was able to show ads and other media from DVD. It was, of course, not the same format as the movies, but that is what they used for their ads.

Dave
                    Lords of Chaos, LLC
                    House of Chaos Haunted Attraction

Comment

Mike, we've never gone this route, as you know, but the idea has been brought up numerous times.

In my opinion, I'd definitely go the "commercial" route, if possible. Speaking only for myself, I don't really pay much attention to the trivia or quick "static" snippets on the screen before the shows (I'm too busy shutting off my cell phone and talking to the people I'm at the theater with). Sound and movement catch my attention, though. If you could get an actual video up on the screen, you might get people more interested.

Hope you're well, stranger!
                      www.mindseizure.com
                      www.myspace.com/mindseizurehauntedhouse

Comment

Most chains now are represented by an agency. I have been contacted by them many times... for what you pay, for what you get back in return I've felt it wasn't worth the money.

I've always felt that you must base everything you do as a cost vs. return.

When someone is sitting in a movie, and watching your slides, are they going to rush out to a computer for info? NO they're about to watch a 2 hour movie, and when they get out they talk about the movie and go home.

Most of the time WHEN YOU go to the movies, do you make it just in time to see the previews or are you sitting in the theater watching those slides.

I think they could help your business, but for what they're charging for them I don't think its worth the cost vs. what you'll get back.

Just my thoughts.

Larry
                        Larry Kirchner
                        President
                        www.HalloweenProductions.com
                        www.BlacklightAttractions.com
                        www.HauntedHouseSupplies.com
                        www.HauntedHouseMagazine.com

Comment

Maybe if a theater was showing movies like the old days , showing a double-feature there would be that wonderfull advertising opportunity between the two movies.
                          People would be sitting there looking at the screen, a whole crowd of people.
                          hauntedravensgrin.com

Comment

I absolutly have tried this before, but unless your slide has your website on it I don't think I would suggest it. We had hardly any return because we didn't have a website and people couldn't remember informatin in the 10 seconds our slide was up. But maybe your market is different.
                            Jared Layman

Comment

Most "adveertising" available for a haunted attraction BARELY works, maybe a 5% return on your money, spend $100 see $5.00 come in the door.
                              Take your advertising budget and if you MUST spend it...buy Lotto tickets.
                              It should be no big secret, have a web site, this will have the potential to do it for you for the least amount of expense.
                              Impressing the customer , forcing your way into their memory bank assures you free advertising when they can't stop telling everyone they know about your place and the amazing experience they suffered there.
                              Of course this usually requires a fair amount of thought and physical effort, but then, for most of us, it also requires alot of effort to earn thousands of spendable dollars to throw away on things that show tiny potential for a return.
                              hauntedravensgrin.com

Comment

Working...
                              X