Creative Juices Needed - Finale Room for an "unReality" haunt

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Creative Juices Needed - Finale Room for an "unReality" haunt

I'm running into a creative dead end and could use some ideas - simple or complex.

I'm looking for an idea for a finale room in a haunt where the theme is, in a nutshell, illusions & things not being what they seem. We've got the standard 3D chroma rooms and hall, a black & white shrinking room (think Willy Wonka style), a tilted room (ever been to the Mystery Spot?) and even a "BIG" room (everything is oversized). But I'm drawing a blank on how to finish the haunt with a good scare.

Keep in mind that the other part of our haunt (2 haunts in 1 location) is Phobia based (snakes, coffins, etc.) so we're trying to keep the story lines separate.

Anyone, anyone, Bueller??? :roll:
    Chris Riehl
    Sales@spookyfinder.com
    (586)209-6935
    www.spookyfinder.com

Ill give you a room that Tony Cooke came up with and we did 10 years ago. The Gift Shop

Regular room, not scary, normal florescent lighting.

Patrons come in and there is a lady there to take their glasses. Hang your t shirts and such up for ombiance. Sign and your lady say to sign the guest book for a free drink. When the first one heads for the refrigerator out pops your character from it. In your case I see a jester with a ski saw, but then I've never seen your haunt so that detail can be suit to fit. THIS ROOM WORKED AWSOME!
    Colt Farrington
    "MEMO--- The beatings will continue until employee moral improves."

Comment

You ever see an ames room? I think it fits your theme perfectly

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ttd0YjXF0no
      www.Stiltbeaststudios.com
      http://www.youtube.com/user/Stiltbea...s?feature=mhee

Comment

I have several rooms

Here that are not so much scary as just very unusual and thereby entertaining(memorable?) Of course I built them and it was a lot of work, the whip marks are still festering(I'm such a tough guy to work for!)
        One such room is a 40 foot high pointy tower that customers walk under, then look up and see the infinity straight above them, I lie, tell them it's done with mirrors, then later they are outside and see the tall pointy tower!
        "It was Real!?"
        hauntedravensgrin.com

Comment

Originally posted by Allen H View Post

This would be awesome, especially if the actor in the room was on stilts and could start seated to exaggerate the "growth" even further.

Comment

Originally posted by Allen H View Post

That's cool, however, since I just built a tilted room (I'll post pictures soon), this will have to wait until next year. Pretty cool effect - combines our shrinking room and my tilted room into one with a different effect!
            Chris Riehl
            Sales@spookyfinder.com
            (586)209-6935
            www.spookyfinder.com

Comment

Any other ideas??? Expanding on the ones above?

Any more suggestions? Any twists to the above ideas? I like the ones above, but I'm thinking that they may need more than just a week or so to put together.

I was toying with the idea of a "little person" room as I know many people who are scared of little people (as in those with Dwarfism). Only one problem - finding some little people in the West Michigan area (Muskegon, Holland, Grand Rapids) who would be willing to volunteer. There's a "Rent-a-Dwarf" company in Lansing, but that's quite a drive and I doubt they'd be up for a donated service.

Any other ideas???
              Chris Riehl
              Sales@spookyfinder.com
              (586)209-6935
              www.spookyfinder.com

Comment

An upside down room

A mirrored effect on the ground so it looks like you are crossing a bridge over a huge hole

Comment

How would this work exactly

"A mirrored effect on the ground so it looks like you are crossing a bridge over a huge hole"

How would this work exactly? I've been wanting to do something that safely exploits people's fear of heights for awhile now, but can't figure out how it's done. Can anyone offer insight?
                  www.mournfulmanor.com

"I'm talking about romance in the sense of epic heroes, tragedy, forever friends who die for one another, quests, wars and star-crossed lovers. Romance found in dark fairy tales and the histories of martyred saints. Romance expressed through murder, cannibalism, ressurrections, and hauntings, through ancient tales of chivalry, sacrifice and betrayal."

Comment

4 acrylic sheets, do not use Mylar. It wrinkles too easy.

You need thin sheets of acrylic on the floor and ceiling, with a pattern (typically brick) on the wall. I would say black walls with white bricks, and DO NOT ALLOW LIGHT to get in the room, it will ruin the effect. Use a white floor panel, you can do a ledge, dots to jump onto, or a thin plank, and WALA!

Easy, awesome, expensive, worth it!

Comment

Do you have a photo of the upside down room. Can I get the acrylic at hd. Thanks

Comment

A corn starch floor. This could be really cool and fit in with your theme, it also wont take to much to build.
                        www.Stiltbeaststudios.com
                        http://www.youtube.com/user/Stiltbea...s?feature=mhee

Comment

Picture of the Upside Down Room

Freddie2.jpg

This is a picture of my "upside down room" (rotated to look "upright" for the media to use).

The carpet was screwed to a criss-cross network of wood above the walls (we were in a large warehouse). The props were screwed to the walls. There were even fake switchplates and a real door, all upside-down of course. The bed was made by screwing the headboard to the wall and the bedspread to the carpet, with a piece of 2" foamboard inside it to make the "mattress". Once again, the teddy bears and such were screwed or zip-tied to the bed, tables, etc. There was even a stray, opened book "on the floor." As it turned out, the details made the scare work that much better.

At first I was worried that the wrinkles in the carpet would look bad, but with the lighting, it was nearly impossible to tell.

The scare worked like this: The people entered the room (seeing pretty much the same view, but upside down). I entered behind them, while they were looking at the ceiling and commenting on it. I was able to walk right up to most people and quietly wait with my bladed hand next to them. When they turned, to look around some more, I just gave a deep, low, evil chuckle. More often than not, people wondered where I had come from. They usually didn't wait around for an answer!
                          Chad Portenga
                          www.hauntedhall.com

Comment

Working...
                          X