Storage mold

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Storage mold

So we just pulled our wall panels out of storage for our garage haunt and they are full of mold. Has anyone else run into this and have you found a storage solution to prevent it?

Mold

KEEP THEM DRY...LMAO

Sorry
    Shawn

Comment

Wow really? So we shouldn't just leave them out until a rainy day and once they are good and wet THEN put them into storage? Thanks for the helpful hint!

I am pretty sure if that is how we stored them I wouldn't be asking the question.

Comment

Mold grows on moist cellulose material where it can feed on the available sugars. Wood is cellulose material. Remove the available excess moisture and you eliminate the mold. So, yeah, store them dry in a condensation free environment and you should take care of your mold problem. Put slats between them so air can move. Pretty simple.

Now if you want to remove the mold get it in the sunlight and bleach the stuff out of it with a bleach/ water mixture in a pump sprayer, as high of a concentration as your colors can stand. I like 50/50.
        Colt Farrington
        "MEMO--- The beatings will continue until employee moral improves."

Comment

Thanks...my guess was we moved storage units in the summer and it was humid. Putting some slats for spacers is a great idea.

Comment

lowes

Can't remember the name of the product but lowes carries it it kills and prevents mold seems to work good.

Comment

You can get mold resistant paint primer at Home Depot. I live in a very dry climate, so I don't actually know if it works though.

Comment

Unfortunately you probably need to replace the panels effected now. In the summer the spores where probably airborne and hitched a ride into the dark damp locker. :/

Comment

If you can build a more enclosed area that you can slide the panels in and out of or if your storage is strictly for the haunt stuff you could put in packs of silica if you can find it. I would think with the humidity absorning nature of this it would prevent alot of the mold from being able to form on it. It is my understanding this is the primary reason the material is used when shipping materials and packing them. Of course I could b wrong and I am not sure how cost effective it would be. Just make sure no living creature eats it.
                  Proud to be able to work at
                  http://www.haunted-hollow.com/

Comment

Mold Issue

On a more serious note A dehumidifier for around 300 to 400 would be ideal but you can buy mold encapsulant it is about $75 per gallon but you could save your panels. If you need some help finding a dealer for the encapsulant just PM me I am a licensed mold re-mediator and GC sorry for the wise crack earlier. But I could not resist.

Shawn
                    http://www.twistedwoods.com

Comment

Working...
                    X