Scare Actor Advice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Scare Actor Advice

Hi everyone! It's that wonderful time of year again where all of the haunt attractions start to open up

I have been hired as a scare actor at a fairly large event near me. I have done haunted house acting at amateur haunts previously, but this will be my first time in a professional production. I'm looking for your wisdom on what makes an excellent scare. I have my own ideas of course, but I feel like you all can give me some great input.

Of course any general advice would be awesome, but I'll give you some specifics about my role. I am in one of the outdoor trails and am the very first scene guests will get to. The premise is that we were a settlement of drifters/miners in the late 1920s. Not knowing we were out in the woods, people used the area as a toxic wasteland, killing and deforming us. You can read the official synopsis on the website below.

Also, has anyone been to Corner of Chaos? I'd love to hear some reviews as I never attended in previous years. The Barnyard maze won "Maze of the Year" by FrightTour last year, so I'm really excited to be a part of the operation this year.

http://cornerofchaos.com/attractions/

Thanks for you help and have a great Halloween season everyone!

http://www.hauntworld.com/haunted_ho...cting-pointers

Lot's of good info here, including a rant of mine that I probably should go back and edit.

Decide who your character is and be him when the lights come on. Whatever your act is be willing to change it at anytime. I've been known to have 4 different bits I can go to depending on what the group looks like- partially that's to keep me sane and interested. But even with the differnet personallitys of a charater you are still that character when it's time to persform.
    Colt Farrington
    "MEMO--- The beatings will continue until employee moral improves."

Comment

Take all the advice you read and mull it around in your head, but remember that the best way to learn how to scare in a haunt, is to scare in a haunt. Lots of these tips go out the window your first few nights and you'll slowly realize why we keep emphasizing certain mindsets and ways of doing even the most mundane actions.

Remember to ask your self, "Is it scary?"

Lots of actors I've training never stop to think about what it is they are doing and if their actions would in fact scare them.

Comment

The link provided by Colt does have a lot of great information even if he did rant a little his rant brought up alot of good points that so many other haunts forget and wind up taking their guests out of the suspension of disbelief. Lots of good information on the thread. Only thing I might add is remeber you are one part of a team and your building to a crecendo. it is important you make them really think they are they and that makes the them easier to scare for the next scene. Remember to listen to the owner for they want and try diffrent techniques and styles until you find the one that works for your character. What I tell our new actors is make me think your really that character with out make up and costume and when you have that stuff you will then be an unholy terror. My biggest advice s really stay in your postition and be ready at all times.
        Proud to be able to work at
        http://www.haunted-hollow.com/

Comment

Thanks for the replies so far everyone. Tonight is opening night! I will be heading over a little early so that I can talk with my manager beforehand. I'll let you know how it goes

Comment

Thanks again for the advice everyone.

It is going great so far. I feel like it is getting better with each night, last night being the best yet. I found the best hiding spot where I am practically in plain sight, yet totally invisible. I am proud to say that I made two people pee last night, made a grown man cry, and just generally scared the sh*t out of so many people. It was awesome

I can't wait to get back out there tonight!

Comment

That a boy!!! Great scares

Mr. Haunt

Comment

Well I must be doing something right...Last night I scared the hell out of a 350 pound man. He proceeded to yell "don't you ever f'ing scare me" and back handed me right in the chest. Luckily I was far enough away that he didn't land a hard hit, but it could have been bad because I am a tiny person.

Still having a lot of fun!

Comment

sounds like your doing good just remeber to keep your distance you will learn to know who the hitters are or you will get to the point where you scare and vanish so fast they don't have a chance to react with a hit. Glad your having fun haunt acting is great fun always good see someone ejoying it so much.
                  Proud to be able to work at
                  http://www.haunted-hollow.com/

Comment

Working...
                  X