No announcement yet.

Groupon Type Deals

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

They certainly can take a giant share for delivering nothing but an email offer in exchange. You're right to point out that it all depends on the size of your haunt but also your market. Major metropolitan areas have an endless supply of customers if you can reach them, but the smaller towns do not. Advertising is always key, but there are plenty of ways to waste your advertising dollar as well. The vast majority of radio stations are the wrong demographic, as are most adult newspapers and even most TV. We're looking for the 15- 28 market. They are not going to be listening to NPR, talk radio, or (for the most part) Country radio. Nor will they be watching Lifetime or many of the cable stations. College newspaper, yes, local political paper, not so much. Internet is the best bang for the buck for this crowd (but that doesn't exclude the others.) If you've been around a while and you're good, your reputation is your cheapest and best ally. (We have a 50% to 75% return rate, so it's critical to us.)

A good on-line video can be both cheap and effective. Good yard signs, flyers (in the right place), and compelling posters. It may be low tech, but if it brings in more than it costs, it's profitable. Again, in a major city, giant advertising budgets are the life blood of the haunt, but they tried that here and spent as much as they made (which was a lot) but the haunt wasn't substantial enough to bring the same folks back again and again, and without the endless supply of young adults who had never been before, it went under in two years. We've had much better luck focusing on making it bigger, better, and keeping expenses under control. Fortunately, our reputation has increased the numbers each year (this is our 13th year) and it's working for us. But that's never reason enough to not be aggressive about marketing.

We're passing on the Groupon/ Living Social because they take too much of a cut (plus it crowds out the line with folks not even paying half price) but I can see situations that would make their offer more attractive (like VIP tickets). Still, it's interesting to see what others have to say on the matter as well. This is a diverse lot of readers and contributors, and they provide some great feedback. So anyone who has had experience in this regard or thoughts about it, please share it. Learning from other's mistakes or good calls is what these forums are all about.
    www.TerrorOfTallahassee.com

Comment

You could give free tickets out to a radio station and get more effect the you would with Groupon.

Comment

the obvious

Larry, You don't have to remind of all your talents, it is burned into our minds. LOL

The point to remember is it is a "marketing" tool not a sales revenue generator by itself. There are tons of ways to "man up' whether you are in a major market where word of mouth alone generates those conga line gold mines or "VERY small haunt" "LOW ROLLER" (nearly 90 % of us) that have to use every potential idea to the fullest whether it is Groupon, yard signs, banners. And yes online banner ads that are right next to haunt/website owner banners that pervade every state page. As a VERY small haunt LOW ROLLER, we have again used Groupon with new terms. Next year we will restrict the promotion to maybe the first weekend or our slowest nights. Using Larry's tactics of a tough sell, next year we will negotiate their fee down to 30% hopefully.

Thanks Larry for the money saving idea. Even discussions like this where we are on opposite views on a single marketing tool we all can benefit.

By the way, this year we doubled our coupon promotion from 9 counties, 500 stores, and 500,000 coupons to 18 counties, 1000 stores, and 1,000,000 coupons. Partnered with another haunt an hour away for the coupon and now cover 18 of 92 counties in the state. And we didn't break the bank doing it either. Pepsi sales people put out the coupons in every convenience store near the check out register and big box grocery stores on product shelves with a nice P.O.P. (point of purchase display) that holds the coupons with a stand up mini poster. We drive to two Pepsi sales meetings and they love it, we love it, and stores love it.

Hope all have a great season!
        Brett Molitor (aka ~ JamBam) Member of HAA

Haunted Hotel-13th Floor (est by Huntington Jaycees in 1968 8) )
        Longest running Haunted House in the WORLD!!

Hysterium Haunted Asylum (old Haunted Cave), Fort Wayne Indiana

Hysterium Escapes - 4 rooms with 3 themes

www.HauntedHuntington.com

www.facebook.com/hauntedhotel

www.Hysterium.com

www.facebook.com/HysteriumFtWayne

www.hysteriumescapes.com

www.facebook.com/hysteriumescapes

sigpic

Comment

I'm always amazed and fascinated by all the mom and pop sized haunts. That's one of the things I love about haunted houses. The little guy can still be as good or better than the Goliath corporation, because passion and creativity can still trump big budgets. How many businesses in America does that still apply? (The only other industry I can think of is the restaurant biz.) But that doesn't mean I don't want to hear how the pros do it in the bigger markets do things. (The way this town is growing, we may fit that category eventually ourselves!) So the more input, the better.

One earlier point I find hard to swallow: the graph showing 35% or so of the typical haunt customer makes over 100,000.00. Call me the pessimist, but I think most people are pulling the survey person's leg when they say that.

Comment

My issue is always with the LOW ROLLER haunt owner the guy who always wants everything for nothing, the guy who doesn't seem to understand to make some money you have to be willing to spend some money. Not to mention that they always are offended when you try to explain how to get something done right, and they always use the term like 'big boys' or whatever.

Listen I will tell you that when I started I was doing 8000 people at 3 dollars a ticket. So I started small and worked my way up learn every step of the way that if I wanted to get bigger there was THREE things I had to learn.

1) Haunt had to get bigger and better! Don't stop investing into your show. Beat out everyone!

2) I had to learn about marketing. I didn't have much money so how could I do something with very little and every year I could do a little more because I got bigger and bigger and bigger and eventually the biggest.

3) I had to always learn new things, explore, expand what I know or don't know, that there is nothing worthless to know. So I went on an ever ending question to learn something. In fact I just learned something new on Monday, about how everyone has downloaded this streaming ap called Pandora and radio might be going worthless now. You can advertise on Pandora. I just learned that and still trying to learn about. I'm mastered SEO after spending tens of thousands. Bottom line is I'm NOT afraid to try something new, make mistakes and benefit
            from them.

Bottom line is I've checked into this whole Groupon deal, so has everyone who is doing it now from my local newspaper, tv stations and more.

IF YOU THINK this is a way to market your haunt you are WRONG! YOU WILL LOSE MONEY! USE MY ExAMPLE ... figure out all the money you will be losing errrr making errr giving away and realize that is money you could be spending on advertisement.

So PONY UP and SPEND IT... on something that brings in MORE people!

If I did this program I would lose about $30k maybe more... Id rather just buy like I'm doing RIGHT NOW 30k worth of TV spots which I can assure you will bring in MORE customers at FULL price than this program.

Again when I started in this business I had no one to tell me these things, but you do... your choice.

Larry

PS: Did I forget to mention that Groupon has delayed an initial IPO stock offering because their revenue keeps dropping like a rock. See I'm not the only one.
            Larry Kirchner
            President
            www.HalloweenProductions.com
            www.BlacklightAttractions.com
            www.HauntedHouseSupplies.com
            www.HauntedHouseMagazine.com

Comment

For 30k you can buy like 4 fully vinyl wrapped metro buses for the month.

Comment

Larry is 100% right on this, the groupon thing will cost you money! There are so many people copying them from Living Social to your local news channel, everyone!!! It might be good for boosting quick sales, but it's true more people doesn't mean that much if it's less money being made because the bill collectors won't lower thier bill like Groupon for YOU!!!

We have been hit up by no les than 15 groupon type people, our answer is always the same....

Choose your marketing strategy wisely!

Allan

Comment

Called by 4 of these outfits

By the time the fourth one called I was tired of their pitch. So I basically turned the tables on him; and threw figures back at him like Larry listed above. He heard me laughing as I hung up.

I will concede...if I was a new haunt CONFIDENT I had a show people would come back for next year then I would try one of these robbers for a opening weekend.

Wicked Farmer

Comment

You guys are so so so right... there is just to many of these types of services now. Its just a gimmick and you will lose money doing it no doubt.

Skip it and pony up to do REAL marketing.

Larry
                    Larry Kirchner
                    President
                    www.HalloweenProductions.com
                    www.BlacklightAttractions.com
                    www.HauntedHouseSupplies.com
                    www.HauntedHouseMagazine.com

Comment

A few things...

I have to agree with everything stated...our Groupon runs for 3 days or something like that and on the first (as you can see from a prior post) I was in full support for it in terms of marketing. About a day in, my excitement wavered. I think to look at it from Larry's point of view as opposed to ours is a bit different though. "Big dog" haunts don't really value from Groupon type deals because they have a long-standing rep, and to be open as many days as he is, bringing in customers really doesn't appear to be an issue no matter what day. We, on the other hand, struggle to bring people in on our nights deemed to be slow (sundays, mondays...any EXCEPT friday or saturday)

...soooo it's kind of a double-edged sword. our SLOW nights that we aren't really looking at big business are the ones we now have locked in with groupon. Yeah, in terms of dollars to ticket ratio, we took a hit...not a LARGE hit, but around 2k...but we also weren't guaranteed to sell the number we sold for those nights our Groupon is locked into.
                      O'Shawn McClendon
                      Creative Chair -- Operator: Cayce-West Columbia Hall of Horrors

One mans junk is another mans kick-ass new prop...

http://www.hallofhorrors.com

http://twitter.com/hallofhorrors

http://cwchallofhorrors.blogspot.com

http://www.youtube.com/hallofhorrors

http://www.myspace.com/cwcjc_hallofhorrors

Comment

I checked out your site (love the swamp motif /SFX) and one thing I would suggest thinking about is removing the Groupon link. The whole point of having Groupon involved is that they bring in customers you wouldn't have had without their help. But by having their link on your page, you can syphon away customers who already found you and were probably going to pay full price use them instead, then you lose 75% of the money. Let Groupon find their own customers for you, so everything they bring in will be gravy, instead of reducing the % the profit from the tickets you lined up for yourself. (That's just my opinion of course, but I suspect others would agree with it.) I'm not saying using Groupon is good or bad, but if you are going to use coupons, you never pass them out to people already in your line. You use them to GET people in your line. And likewise, don't recruit Groupon users from the people who have already found your haunt. Let them recruit their own customers to give deep discounts to from the people who otherwise are unaware of you.

Comment

Could there be an angle?

I was approached about the Groupon thing yesterday and after a few minutes thought, I turned them down. I would lose too much on each sale to make it a reasonable option. There is a case where I could see it working, however. If you had multiple attractions at a single site, it MIGHT be worth it to run a Groupon/Living Social type deal on a single or secondary attraction. In a case like that, the majority of those customers would end up spending additional money at your event on the other attractions, making up for the huge discount. Kind of a loss leader type of idea. Other than that, I can't see it being successful in the Haunt industry.

Dave
                          Lords of Chaos, LLC
                          House of Chaos Haunted Attraction

Comment

Groupon CAN be useful depending on what you're looking to do. Out haunt is considering it on our weekday night which are normally rather slow. If we can get more people to come in those nights through groupon, great. I understand the thought that people say using Groupon is throwing money away, but we are making it clear that we will not offer Groupons on nights where we dont need more customers.

Its really just trying to decide whether or not the potential added exposure will make the revenue lost worth it. Look at it as advertising. In order to go out to over a million people, our money lost is rather minimal because we are limiting the deal.

Comment

1 misconception is your sent to 1 million people. Groupon is mostly prevalent in metro areas with like half it's over members in the Chicago area.

Comment

I believe Duke of Darkness has hit on something. Using a deep discount to get new people to portion of your haunt so-- if they like the part they experience-- they will almost certainly get tickets to another portion, is a great idea. Like the aliens say, "Take me to your (lost) leader!"

Comment

Working...
                                X