Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Exit Signs in Temporary Structures

To the group,

I have a question regarding exit signs in a temporary structure. We are using a pavilion that is normally open in the front. We are enclosing the building and filling it with 4x8 standard wall panels.

The question I had is regards to lit exit signs. Every exit sign I have seen needs to be hard wired into place. Obviously since everything is temporary (and exit signs are expensive) we want to remove them after the season is over. However we want to use lit signs even on the "interior" exit doors that lead to our exit hallway if possible. Even most of the outside doors are temporary as we install them onto the building.

What do you use in this case for exit signs? I wish there was a 12volt LED exit sign that we could wire in with our LEDs for the haunt. That would be a perfect solution but I have never seen anything like that.

Thanks!

Brian Smith
    Myth Productions, LLC

You mean like this one?

http://www.exitlightco.com/product/LEDRBB-JR.html

Comment

Yes like that. But those signs are meant to be hardwired to a 110 volt electrical source. Obviously we are unable to do that.

I haven't seen any that take a 12volt input. The only other thought I had is to add "plugs" to these signs and run extension cords to them. But not sure that will pass with our state and fire marshals. Looking for any other thoughts.

Comment

Build one!

Shouldn't be to hard to build one. Cut the letters out on a small square sheet of plywood. Build a smallbox the same size and drop a red light bulb or LED light inside. Screw the front onto the box and there you have a nice bright "EXIT" sign.
        http://www.myspace.com/scareview

Comment

Anyone???

How do you mount and run power to your exit signs that are mounted on temporary 4x8 wall panels? Help is greatly appreciated.

Comment

What ever you do, run it by your building official first. That being said, we once put up a haunt at the fair, that was in a tent. We attached gang boxes to the back of the exit signs. The gang boxes had tabs on them that allowed us to screw them to the wall. We used flexable armour wire. This allowed us to be compliant by having the wiring in conduit, and allowed us to preassemble everything before we got to the fair. We were only allowed 3 days to set up, and everything that could be done before we got on site helped us out. If you were to use this type of system, you could take it down and put it back up without too much trouble. Be sure to unhook the batteries when you take it down or you will have to buy new ones next year. Be sure to have plenty of extra bulbs for your back up lights. The movement of temporary walls wreak havoc on bulbs.
            www.haroldshaunt.com

Comment

What we did was buy those hardwire exit signs and take one side off and put a led battery tap light inside. It is real bright.
              www.nightmareslive.com

Comment

Working...
              X