Headless Horseman Hayride Review

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Headless Horseman Hayride Review

I have been going to HHH in Ulster Park for the past 8 years. I must say it has been going downhill but the prices have been going up. The hayride storyline was complicated and boring how does a Headless Horseman factor into miners? Enough with the headless Horseman in everything you can always use the HH but not as a focal point in the storyline it doesn't work. Most of the actors I felt as if they weren't "in the mood" I noticed alot of props during the hayride that were supposed to work didn't. The cornfield was empty there is sooo much space and places to post actors to get the scares but they failed to fill it. I was very disappointed. They claim they have 8 attractions if you consider the non scary 2 minute walk through under the cornfield an attraction I do not. Also the Gluttons Slaughterhouse, Root Cellar, Nightshade are all within the cornfield and should be considered 1 attraction since they are so quick. They put alot of money, detail, hard work into it that I feel the last good haunt was 2 years ago when they had the Nursery Rhyme themed Hayride. Plus the $38 entry fee is not worth it Very Dissapointed. This should not be considered #1 any longer. I feel as if it is too much of the business factor instead of the scare factory and fun. They have alot of workers but I feel with the price jump this year it didn't match what the customer received. I read similar reviews on Yelp. I just think they need to step it up as they have a couple of years ago. The Haunted Houses themselves (The 2 of them) were great and they always are I just feel the rest was a big slacking. I remember the Hayride used to have more people hiding in the fields during the dead spots jumping out at you. Again this is just my opinion and I was curious if others felt the same who went. Maybe Sept is too early to go to a Haunt?
    Last edited by Halloscream; 09-30-2011, 09:15 AM.

Welcome to Hauntworld

That's one hell of a first post. You'll make a lot of friends here.
    www.haroldshaunt.com

Comment

I will be the first one to admit that on our opening nights things are hectic and not in perfect running order. As times goes on you get things more and more worked out. Creepyworld was 5 times better on the second night than the first night... its just how it goes. I have not seen HH so I can't say one way or another about if they should or shouldn't advertise 8 attractions ... I will only say this.

A lot of haunted houses out there and when I say a lot I mean a TON of false advertising claiming they have all these attractions when they don't. That one goof out in North Carolina said he had I don't know how many attractions and one of the attractions was his black hole tunnel, another attraction was a scene, blah, blah, blah.

This only goes to hurt your event in the long run in the days of social media. You will get torn apart ...

At Creepyworld for example every single attraction we advertise as an attraction is at least 4 to 6000 square feet, some are 1/4 mile long others are 15,000 to 20,000 square feet. If I wanted to do it like some of these goofs I could create 100 attractions.

In the end I think that Headless puts a lot of work into their attraction and its clearly one of the best in the nation, I think as reviewers we are reviewing the haunts who claim to be the best on a different scale and the rest on another. The scales have been set high, maybe so high that no one can achieve a fair shake anymore.

Something in think about.

Larry
      Larry Kirchner
      President
      www.HalloweenProductions.com
      www.BlacklightAttractions.com
      www.HauntedHouseSupplies.com
      www.HauntedHouseMagazine.com

Comment

Larry- That is very true each year when people set up their haunts things may happen that might not work every night. I think Headless Horseman Hayride is the best. The hayride is the only one I have been to and know of in N.Y. and it is great. The advertising of attractions I agree with that you cannot advertise an attraction that is (ex: claustrophobia) if that was the case you can advertise every room as an attraction and HH falls into this category you get a ticket that has 8 attractions but 3 are together which really should be considered one. I also think people/actors have off nights and as an event gets closer to Halloween you feel it more overall Headless Horseman is great it takes 3 hours to complete it all it's worth the money.

Comment

headles horseman totally rocks it big time

a must see in the upstte new york area or worth a road trip from ANYWHERE !!!!!! bar none !!!!! one of the best of all time !!!!!!

Comment

What is the mission of Hauntworld?

I was always under the impression that Hauntworld was here to further the haunted attraction industry.
            Right, wrong, or indifferent, I do not believe that posts like these help anyone. We can deliberate for weeks about this attraction or that attraction and why they might not have been at their best, but I think that no good can come from it. The only thing that it does, is potentially hurt the haunt in question and cause drama on this forum. I think that it is also worth noting that if someone does feel the need to bring up a controversial subject on this forum (I must say, I have done so on occasion) it might be better to establish a record of positive posting first. When your very first post on Hauntworld degrades another haunt or person, it looks suspicious. I also believe that if you are going to go this route, use your real name, and fill out your about me section. This lends credability and demonstrates backbone. That's just my take.
            As far as Headless Horsman goes, I was planning a trip there this year, and this review has not changed my mind.
            www.haroldshaunt.com

Comment

the forum provides................

freedom of speech, freedom of opinion. George, go yourself and then form an opinion. I can tell you, no matter what the price, you will not be dissapointed !!!! while you're (KINDA) in the area, check out HAUNTED OVERLOAD in VERMONT. another must see. (one of the greatest of all time!) have fun, and don't let these other people upset you. remember, when ever you deal with the PUBLIC, you're NEVER EVER gonna please EVERYBODY. take care......happy halloween !!!!! also, rent the COLLECTOR on dvd. its a good movie very creepy.....

Comment

Very true make the trip it is definitely worth it and for a 3 hr attraction it is awesome. You have some haunts that are 10-15 minutes that are just as good but for a 3 hr haunt with hayride and cornfield and Haunted Houses it is awesome. Every year they change themes and add new props etc and it is awesome this year they added more special effects it was sickkkkkk. I agree the forum is freedom of speech I think its nice for user input to assist haunters what was good/bad with their haunt. I also agree about being a first time poster she lay some further info but I think this will make more people go to see what it is all about especially since everytime I have gone there the place is always packed. They did improve the gate area from years ago when it was a mob scene waiting to pick up tickets now it is very organized and fenced in lines to prevent line jumping, skipping.

Comment

I totally stand by listing or ranking Headless as one of the best in the nation and I believe they have what some would say is the best event in the country. Its really not debatable... they put everything into their event. Most haunts could only dream of doing the things these guys do. There will always be haters no matter how hard you work or try. I always say... let me see you do better!

LOL like that is going to happen! NOT!

Anyway an honest review is an honest review... doesn't mean you have to agree with it. Like I said and I'm the first to admit it... my haunts are always in pure chaos the opening weekend. So there ya go.

Larry
                  Larry Kirchner
                  President
                  www.HalloweenProductions.com
                  www.BlacklightAttractions.com
                  www.HauntedHouseSupplies.com
                  www.HauntedHouseMagazine.com

Comment

I often suspect these kind of hit pieces are motivated by rival haunts trying to undermine the competition. (And it's a real shame if that's the case.) But either way, this isn't the review section of the forum. Although I don't mind hearing gripes about haunts with problems and learn from their mistakes, I don't think they need to be named or outed. Just say "I went to a hayride in such and such state and it had these problems." Just like a call-in show about personal problems, I don't need (nor want) to know their names. It's embarrassing to all concerned and doesn't add anything to the discussion. It would also do a lot to reduce that nagging doubt that the poster has motivations other than that of what they claim.
                    www.TerrorOfTallahassee.com

Comment

lessons here?

The post started by a new member that opened with saying they were disappointed this year and have been there eight years now. While the event staff should be the people the comments be directed towards, it is their opinion.

Lessons to be learned for all of us who charge our audiences is to make NO EXCUSES for any night you are open. The opening night and weekend is always a strain to pull off. But you customers should not see a difference from day 1 to day 10 to day 30. They shouldn't know you are having problems, handle it! They pay the same and you owe it to them, you took their money. NO EXCUSES!!

One way that we minimize our problems is to do our Media/Friends/Family/Sponsor dress rehearsal night on the Thursday of opening weekend. The actors get to invite friends and family to see them performing. It is two hours in full makeup and scares. Yes, the show starts up to 30 minutes late, yes there are problems as in any first night. We also might have a dj mention that we have a free night or put a message on a social site to get some more people to a FREE show for the express prupose of what a dress rehearsal is about: working out the bugs in the show. They know going in that is the case and we don't charge them. Makes the first night of charging customers as good as it can be, much smoother operations wise, and we know that they are getting a show they expect and we owe them.

By the way, at the end of dress rehearsal we also do a fire drill with alarm pulled and staff expected to to follow their training for evacuation with a couple people monitoring it including the time it takes to accomplish.
                      Brett Molitor (aka ~ JamBam) Member of HAA

Haunted Hotel-13th Floor (est by Huntington Jaycees in 1968 8) )
                      Longest running Haunted House in the WORLD!!

Hysterium Haunted Asylum (old Haunted Cave), Fort Wayne Indiana

Hysterium Escapes - 4 rooms with 3 themes

www.HauntedHuntington.com

www.facebook.com/hauntedhotel

www.Hysterium.com

www.facebook.com/HysteriumFtWayne

www.hysteriumescapes.com

www.facebook.com/hysteriumescapes

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                      X