Advice for roaming character?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Advice for roaming character?

I haven't been given a spot in my house yet, and when we open next weekend I'm may ask my boss if I could work as one of the roaming characters who keep the guests entertained while in line. Is there any advice you could give me for doing this type of role, and is there anything I should know beforehand? Any and all advice is greatly appreciated!

Go for a low class character- much easier and more places to go than an upper class character.
    Comedy equals staying power. adapt and improv to keep your character interesting be able to scare but also be able to talk with people.
    a pure scare character will get old quick as all you can do is threaten.
    www.Stiltbeaststudios.com
    http://www.youtube.com/user/Stiltbea...s?feature=mhee

Comment

Thanks, Allen! Bear with me, I'm still fairly new to this, but would you call the costume I've made low key enough, or should I tone it down a bit? It's the one as my avatar, also on my profile.

Comment

Not low key, just low class. basicially what I meant by that was instead of a lord or master vampire you should do a servant of the vampire. thats just an example of course. A hunch back is easier than a mad scientist. What is the character you created, what do you know about him? I would grunge him up a bit and distress him some. the more character you have the more material you can draw from when working with guests.
        www.Stiltbeaststudios.com
        http://www.youtube.com/user/Stiltbea...s?feature=mhee

Comment

I would check out some of the videos of the line actors they have at netherworld and other haunts on YouTube. I agree with Allen on this especially if your haunt has long lines creepy funny and lowbrow are easier to maintain for long periods of time and keep peoples attention and keep them entertained. Before you offer to do this a few questions I would ask are how quick are you verbally, Can you maintain a character with in the public eye for very long periods of time, and do you have any special talents that can be used to keep people entertained (Juggling, stilts, acrobatics, comedy, singing, general strange quirks). Your main job outside is just that keep peoples mind off the wait and help get them into the mood to be scared and to have fun. as for your costume I could not say much without knowing the theme of the haunt if the theme is vampires think more Renfield in nature.
          Proud to be able to work at
          http://www.haunted-hollow.com/

Comment

Go with what Alan and everybody else has said I have both of Alan's DVD's and they have helped out the haunts I have been at alot! I do a Clown and just do weird stupid things to entertain and just play with the crowd and improv alot of things as they happen it's pretty effective and fun.

Mike Brown
            Catacombs of the Lost
            East Peoria, IL

Comment

Advice I give my que line actors

The biggest part of que line acting, is make sure you get a character that you can be in all night. Something that is comfortable and natural to you. Because a large part is improv, if you make it something natural to you, then you can act and react from the gut without thinking too much. I have my guys do a mini backstory with information that would help them respond to customers. Like, how did you get the way you are? Where are you from? What's wrong with you? Why do you act the way you do? It gives you a purpose and makes you more focused! I also find that the costume has match your story and your makeup, head to toe. You will actually "feel" when you are complete. That part is hard to explain. LOL
              Good Luck!
              Do Vegan Zombies eat heads of lettuce?

Comment

Sorry for the late response,

The best advice I can give is to keep talking, don't try and be "Jason" or "Michael Myers" the stare down isn't scary. You must approach the patrons and not wait for them to approach you. It's also nice to have a trump card, that one thing you can do that will get the crowd excited and just get people to look in awe or laughter.

-mciii

Comment

Being a roaming actor is by far the funnest times I've ever had...just gotta be quick on your feet and be able to come up with snappy and quick comebacks....

Comment

Working...
                  X