Haunt Wall Panel Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Did I die and go to hell?
    No, but babysitting OSB panels for 20 years would be a close place second to life in hell.
    Buy plywood, very little babysitting, almost none by comparison, of course don't wait around for another war or huge hurricane before deciding to buy all your plywood.
    Maybe some masochists LIKE that sensation of those big, fat , aggressive wood chips hitting their face when you saw that crap?
    Maybe many feel "chosen" to paint OSB 12 to 15 times , trying to hide it's lineage as a collection of big chips, rather than a stately wall in a grand old mansion?
    I do alot of things that eventually end up being a waste of time, but I quit painting OSB years ago, of course then there is the extra pleasure of watching that paint dry...so you can paint it again! And again,and again....
    the painting equoptment screams "NO!" Not again!
    hauntedravensgrin.com

Comment

Another tip about painting from Paint Contractor Magazine is to be sure to back prime everything. In other words four years later things begin to bubble up as moisture has entered from behind. In the case of a haunted house, primer can be considered the black wall paint or actual primer white or tinted grey for more elaborate paint schemes.

I read on here that someone had a great number of talented hard working people show up and build a whole 6,000 SF haunt in one glorious weekend and now it is ready for paint. I really had to control myself to not post: Okay, now take it back apart and paint it all. Every edge, every back panel, even things that will be going to gether all must be painted or primed or sealed for long term use.

The magazine article was about siding on a house with only that which was rushed damaged and needing to be replaced. All that was back primed was in great shape and the top coat still looked great.

I use exterior paints or final sealers as it might be loaded up in the rain or portions of it outdoors for a time. Generally in Texas it is like the Amazon as far as humidity is concerned so it is like being outdoors even inside large un climate controled buildings.

Luckily for most Noobies, 3/8 OSB is no longer a common item. Saving $2 per sheet if you can find it will cost $10 more in paint. Just say NO.

If you are thinking someone will buy the crap if it doesn't work out for you it will be a tough sell unless you are selling quality and used in excellent condition otherwise it is worth at most 20 cents on the dollar and selling to someone even more unfortunate.

Even though the locations might be temporary, there is no reason for the unit to be built temporary. In fact so many weird and cheap and permanent constructions is WHY so many have big questions with getting through inspections and approvals. Not that it is a temporary location but that it was built in a shody manner or un professionally.

The customers and even the authorities should be in wonder about your props and decor, not wether the structure was built out of washing machine boxes with fire retardant sprayed on it. This is great for a 12 year olds basement haunt but, anything half way serious should just say NO.

The fact of the matter is black plastic, even this miracle fire retardant black plastic sucks. Every time you open a door it blows with the force of the ouside fall wind. Patrons can fall through it. Plus if you analyze the cost year after year, you could have built real wall panels and been making money instead of supporting the Home Depot Empire. Balack plastic is another 12 year old thinking and might have been acceptable 20 years ago as no one knew if this could be a real business or not.

If you start out black plastic you will always have this "it is a cheap attempt for the children" stigma you will never lose. When you do go to pro equipment it will be finding brand new customers that even half way care and the word that no investment has been involved will contiue to errode potential customers by word of mouth.

In this Day and age, OSB has a similar feel to it. Customers know what it is and how cheap it is. Having lots and lots of it doesn't make up for it being perceved as a cheap attempt. Even though you might actually have spent more per panel on paint and constinue to spend more and more on touch ups.
      sigpic

Another fabulous post from the U.S.Department of Wild Imaginings, now in spectaclar stereo, sponsored by the Adhesives and Sealants Council, suggesting ways to stick things together since the 1800s. Not fabulous in a gay way. Your results may vary. Illinois residents add 8% sales tax. These posts have been made by professional post makers, do not try this type of posting on your own without extensive training, lovely assistants and a trusty clown horn.

Comment

I had some time this morning to see how storage of thin walls is better. My haunt and facade currently just fits into one trailer less the props and harnesses. I would be forced to have two trailers if it was 4 inch thick panels instead of 2.25 inch panels. The number of trips is doubled and thus the gas and truck prices or if you are at semi level you just doubled the haulage/cartage expense. For longer trips to a location this might come down to not going to set up.

It is presently cheaper to use pickups and small trailers to unload the big trailer rather than move the big trailer 4 times in delivering our unit 2 miles away. The labor is roughly the same even with double loading to move as it is mostly 80% volunteer efforts. If it was all paid labor, I would be calling a trucking firm or finding a new freind with a big truck.

It could be done but I wouldn't move everything with a car and a trailer from Tractor supply that you build yourself. This might be one of those warning signs that you should rethink a few things longterm.
        sigpic

Another fabulous post from the U.S.Department of Wild Imaginings, now in spectaclar stereo, sponsored by the Adhesives and Sealants Council, suggesting ways to stick things together since the 1800s. Not fabulous in a gay way. Your results may vary. Illinois residents add 8% sales tax. These posts have been made by professional post makers, do not try this type of posting on your own without extensive training, lovely assistants and a trusty clown horn.

Comment

Working...
        X