The Thing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Thing

Did anyone see this movie. It bombed at the box office. Either way I just wanted to know if its good. Larry
    Larry Kirchner
    President
    www.HalloweenProductions.com
    www.BlacklightAttractions.com
    www.HauntedHouseSupplies.com
    www.HauntedHouseMagazine.com

Larry,
    I saw it this past Saturday. While some reviews aren't real good about it, I enjoyed it. There were a few "get ya" moments but wasn't as good as the original "Thing".
    I would recommend it but caution to try not compare to the 1982 version.
    Tom
    Creator of the Dungeon
    WWW.BRICKTOWNAMUSEMENT.COM

Comment

Originally posted by Tom View Post
      Larry,
      I saw it this past Saturday. While some reviews aren't real good about it, I enjoyed it. There were a few "get ya" moments but wasn't as good as the original "Thing".
      The original came out in 1951 with James Arness.

Just sayin'...

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0044121/
      http://www.bigscaryshow.com
      http://www.rabidbadger.org

Comment

Originally posted by Badger View Post
        The original came out in 1951 with James Arness.

Just sayin'...

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0044121/
        That's right.

Actually, it was called "the Thing from Another World". Just sayin
        Last edited by Tom; 10-17-2011, 11:24 AM.
        Tom
        Creator of the Dungeon
        WWW.BRICKTOWNAMUSEMENT.COM

Comment

We just showed the 1950s THE THING outside two weeks ago, and it was great as always. I plan to see the 2nd remake, but I'll have to try hard not to compare the two. I thought the 1950s version was better than the 1980s, which was still pretty good. Amazing how the original isn't dated after all these years.

Just saying...
          www.TerrorOfTallahassee.com

Comment

The 80s "Thing" has been a great inspiration to me in so many ways. So, a remake was something I was dreading. But I am happy to say, it is not a remake. It is a prequel to the 80s remake.
            Kevin R. Alvey
            info at gore-galore.com
            www.gore-galore.com
            www.halloweenmusicgalore.com
            www.youtube.com/goregalore13
            www.facebook.com/goregalore

sigpic

Comment

That Darn Thing

It is a prequel, destinted to re-launch the series. There is a set of Comics out there made years after the Carpenter film, that carries the what if Kurt Russel story line further. The movie didn't bomb Larry, Oh pesamistic one, it came in third and fourth on the weekend. All of this was pre-planned two years ago, which is why Horror nights had Thing haunts. They spent a great deal of cash re-creating all of this from the Carpenter film.

The history is that the original short story, was called "who goes there?" Written in the 50's. The first film was directed by Howard Hawks, and the creature was James Arness, Peter Graves brother, pre Gunsmoke. This was one of the first Horror films written inteligently, with overlapping dialogue.

Carpenter's Vision was truely original, and unique. It was, however, the incredible physical effects handled and designed by Rob Bottin that stole the film. The dog effects were handled by Tom Burman.

Kevin this Carpenter vision was a major influence on me as well, I regularly re-screen the film, I still don't get tired watching it!

Matt
              Listen to them, Children of the night. Oh what music they make.

Comment

yeah, but do you know who played The Thing in the 50s version AFTER it was shrunk down by electrocution? (Without googling it?) Now that's a fun bit of tiny-terror-trivia!

Comment

No, but I know where you are going with this! Please tell me it wasn't Tattoo from Fantasy Island!
                  Listen to them, Children of the night. Oh what music they make.

Comment

No, but you're close. Think more along the lines of Wizard of Oz!

Comment

Working...
                    X