Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

HERE WE GO AGAIN... This will just never end will it????

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HERE WE GO AGAIN... This will just never end will it????

http://dailysentinel.com/news/texas/...20edbc32a.html
    Larry Kirchner
    President
    www.HalloweenProductions.com
    www.BlacklightAttractions.com
    www.HauntedHouseSupplies.com
    www.HauntedHouseMagazine.com

At least the claim of being the longest haunted house can be proven or disproven easily.

I get more annoyed with claims of "Best", "Top", or "Scariest" haunted houses that really don't have a whole lot where you can back the claim, since there isn't an objective measure, it's all opinion.
    sigpic

There are three rules to designing a haunt. Unfortunately, nobody knows what they are.

Haunt: www.ScarecrowTheater.com

Comment

"The Factory of Terror is in an old aluminum foundry in Canton. Visitors go on a chilling journey that the Guinness website says measures nearly 3,800 feet, or close to three-quarters of a mile."

I wish they would give the square footage of these places while they are at it. And does that 3,800 include the zig-zag line cue to the door?
      www.TerrorOfTallahassee.com

Comment

Square footage is different than distance walked.

Longest = distance walked

Largest = square footage

When I was there last year, their que line wasn't that big anyways.

""It's housed in a 160,000-square-foot building, an old aluminum foundry that once made engine parts. He uses 50,000 square feet for Factory of Terror and 5,000 more for actors, operations and related behind-the-scenes work. He also leases out an additional 50,000 for a pair of indoor BMX tracks. "" James Ewinger, The Plain Dealer

Comment

871,200 square feet. Yeah, "so what" is right

871,200 square feet here. But does it tell you anything? But I am guilty of using 'best' as our name is Bestmaze Corn Maze. When we first opened we were under a diffferent name. All during our first year people told us to change our name to "best maze". Well at first we were too sheepish to do that. But after we were told over and over to do that...we did. We are hands down the best designed maze in the area. Installed complete drainage system under all 20 acres; groom all 3 miles of trails so a baby stroller can go down them with ease, crown all trails so even within an hour of a 1" rainfall I can jump up and down on our trails and not sink in...while every other maze in area is a mud bog. Security towers oversee the maze for safety and control of crowd from destoying the maze. It is almost in as good of shape on Oct 31st as Sept 9th while other mazes have been riddled by kids cutting through every where. And then ther is the flow of the maze which I could right a chapter on but wont.

Yes I am conceited/arrogant. But I will put it up against any of the other 20ish mazes around me. And my customers will to. They tell me of all the others they have been to. At Womens Expos...former customers stop by the booth and do all the talking to potential customers for me. I have another TV interview coming up this week filming our maze because of the Mass. corn maze incident where people paniced and called 911 to get out.

Matter of fact I think the only person in history more conceited/arrogant than me would have been Emporer of Japan during WWII. Hey; if you nuked just one of my cities after my navy/airforce decimated I would have thrown in the towel. You would not have had to nuke me twice.

Wicked Farmer

Comment

So are you saying we would need to nuke you at least once? (Just kidding.) Hey, it would certainly create a lot of useful props.

I also wish they would mention how long it usually takes patrons to travel the haunt, as the length alone is hard to put in perspective. (For the record, I was aware of the difference between longest length and square footage, but thanks for making sure).

Comment

Official record is set as the "Longest Indoor Haunted Attraction" Measured in linear walking feet.
              Larry you sound annoyed? this is great press for our industry, if 10 haunts are battling for it, we get 10 times the press all over the country when one wins the title.
              This is no different than a Different ranking of top 13 haunted houses being released every year.
              Owner of The Fear Experience Haunted House in Cleveland, Ohio, voted the #1 haunted house in Ohio, and #14 in America by Funtober. The Fear Experience Haunted House was called the premier haunted attraction in northeast ohio by cleveland.com and #1 in cleveland by metromix.

Comment

The 2010 MHC pre-show tours went through the Factory of Terror among others, and it took me well over an hour to get through, not including lines. I talked to the owners for awhile afterwards and they said they have to potential to utilize most, if not all of their 160,000 square feet in the future...
                http://www.bigscaryshow.com
                http://www.rabidbadger.org

Comment

Dumb dirt farmers!

Monsterwax;

Only way to get rid of grumpy old farmers is to nuke them. Sooner the better. best to clean up the genetic pool as soon as you can. Heck they can't even spell "write" right.

Wicked Farmer

Comment

World Record

I'm a little confused by this thread. I would think the industry would support this...not down play it as bogus mumbo jumbo.... I work with the factory of terror during the off season on a daily basis. I have noticed that the other shows the factory has competed with for the title has been nothing but supportive of the record breaking. It has turned into a friendly competition not a war or battle of hard feelings. This type of thing brings positive attention to the industry. Why would anyone try to make light of this or talk about in a negative manner. Help me understand why this thread even started.

Comment

I don't think Larry is annoyed at it, he's just hinting that quality is really more important that quantity. We all like longer haunts, because we like haunts in general and want them to last longer, but I suspect most of us would also agree that it's better to have a shorter haunt that is twice as good rather than a longer haunt that is twice as bad.

It doesn't take a lot of imagination to see how the "longest haunt" could turn into a competition that goes to ridiculous ends, with mile long haunts that are riddled with filler, just to win the title. That kind of stunt would be a shame. When you get right down to it, haunts are a bit like movies. If directors don't edit them down to keep the frights coming fast and furious, they become boring. More frights in a smaller space is better than dragging it out just for length's sake.

Comment

Well factory of terror certainly doesn't fall in to the category of filler. The maze portion might make up a lot of feet with fewer scares, but the entire place is awesome, and is one of my favorites. I went last year.

Comment

The factory of terror has an extremely detailed haunt. I know I have had a hand on every room in the place. They have spent alot of time putting together an amazing show. There is no "filler" used in their haunt. So once again I ask....What was that post suppose to mean????

Comment

Couple things... the main point of this thread from me was that I think this will keep coming back every single year. It seems like ever since this was established by Erebus the title has been taken away by another haunt the following year. Every single year someone is going after this title and I Think next year someone will take it again, and the year after and the year after.

I think its great, funny, and interesting.

If I could make the claim I would go for it ... so its nothing against those who do in fact go for it. I think the point is that every year someone will stake a claim and this will never end every year, year after year, this will resurface.

Larry
                            Larry Kirchner
                            President
                            www.HalloweenProductions.com
                            www.BlacklightAttractions.com
                            www.HauntedHouseSupplies.com
                            www.HauntedHouseMagazine.com

Comment

Remember, its not the length that matters, its the performance.

As long as the haunters in these long haunts are putting on a good show, then the one upmanship year after year is a good thing. This industry gets better by all of us trying to out do the other. Hopefully this can be done in civil and creative ways without having to degrade another haunt. But if we keep pushing and pushing each other, then the haunt industry product as a whole gets better and better.

Comment

Working...
                              X