Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need Some Design Help

I want to build an Armoire and I need it to do the following things

1. (on activation) I need the doors to slowly open all the way revealing the clothes hanging inside

2. I need the clothes to part

3. I need the back to open...preferrable not a simple swing out but something unique (I can't think of anything)

After all that the patron will step thru into my vortex tunnel.

So I know what I want. The front doors opening is pretty easy. The problem is moving the close out of the way, I was thinking of splitting the pole in the center and connecting two pnuematic cylinders to fold them out of the way....thus giving head room for the patrons. If anyone has a better idea, I welcome it.

The big pain is the back of the Armoire. I want something cool, but I am out of thoughts on this one.

Please help.
    Greg Salyers
    Fear Entertainment

How about having the back panel of the wardrobe drop down towards the tunnel like a draw bridge? That would definately be something cool to see.
    www.HauntGraphics.com

Comment

I like that....how would you drop it and bring it back up
      Greg Salyers
      Fear Entertainment

Comment

I would locate the spinning tunnel at a 90 degree angle to the furniture so they can't see into it, this would eliminate some of the problem then you could make a dark tunnel with cob webs and dim lighting .
        You could sew fishline into several items of clothing and part the clothes by pulling the fishlines away from each other a spool rotated via a small electric motor(s) might be made to do this?
        I think the furniture would be spooky looking as it opened and closed via tipping the entire furniture slightly front to back changing the angle of the doors allowing gravity to move the doors .
        Heck, the tipping furniture, self-opening doors and parting clothes might impress people so much that they might not notice the spinning tunnel behind it! hahahaha!
        hauntedravensgrin.com

Comment

The opeing door is very easy. For the clothes, I would use two rodless airslides. They would work really well I think. And, for the back opening up, what if the back was made of vertical wooden slats that each slid down or rose up one by one to reveal the tunnel. That might look cool.

On the other hand, if you wanted to do the draw bridge style deal use a cable cylinder to allow it to fall down and rise back up. You could do it easy enough and it would be a cool effect. Post some pictures when you get it up and running.
          Kip Polley
          www.palenight.com

Pale Night Productions
          We Engineer Fear

Comment

Have the laser tunnel right after in a straight line, so when the clothes part, you see the tunnel and go into it.
            The word for the day is NPD. Check it out.

Comment

Wow, great ideas.

What is a rodless airslide?

And how would you make the vertical boards rise up one at a time?
              Greg Salyers
              Fear Entertainment

Comment

Basically you make a Roman shade. Instead of fabric you use lightweight wood slats or maybe just use fabric and paint it to look like a wood back.

http://www.alternative-windows.com/roman-blind.htm

Good luck!
                R&J Productions
                Las Vegas, NV
                www.LasVegasHaunts.com

Comment

A rodless air slide is basically a guided or non guided pneumatic cylinder that doesnt use a piston to move it's load. It uses a magnetically coupled block and piston system. The small piston slides inside of a tube under pressure which magnetically moves the block to which you have the item being moved mounted.

http://www.evilusions.com/images/UltranSlide175.jpeg
                  Brian Warner
                  Owner of Evilusions www.EVILUSIONS.com
                  Technical Director of Forsaken Haunted House www.Forsakenhaunt.com
                  Mechanical Designer (animatronics) at Gore Galore www.Gore-Galore.com

Comment

"Romans!" Hey!
                    A Roman Seige Engine to launch customers, forget the meager spinning tunnel then.
                    Seriously though, what kind of time would it take for one person to build such a working item?
                    How much moo-lah?
                    Would this be too much time and money spent upon this one thing?
                    If I decide to build something I pretty much just do it until it's done, of course my patrons get to see it under construction for sometimes "years" and such a practise sure does keep me busy because there are always plenty of other things that need attention and maintenace all the time too.
                    I once kept track of my "Time" on a metal hat I made to look like my house with a pre-historic bird sticking out of the top of it. 23? hours? Wow! I was so surprised , I decided to NOT keep track of my time anymore!
                    I think if you are building props for a living, selling them, ex cetra you must watch the clock, but do the rest of you do this?
                    I will then be very hard not to get discouraged sometimes.
                    Watching a sundial might be part of the seven-step program?
                    Then graduate to watching the calendar.......
                    hauntedravensgrin.com

Comment

Working...
                    X