Make-up

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Make-up

Okay everyone, I'm currently in the process of trying to total the costs of everything I need to get to start up my haunted attraction.

One thing, besides the property that I'm pretty clueless as to what kind of make-up supplies to get. I know I will probably need an airbrushing kit/compressor. I'm just wondering if anyone can give me more info as far as what are the better line of products to go after for make-up applications and or prosthetics.

As far as facepaint, the best ones out there for sponge/brush application are Wolfe Brothers or Diamond FX. Can't be beat!
    Kimmy

http://hauntedkimmycreations.weebly.com/

Comment

In addition to my favorite, Wolfe Brothers, we also use Mehron and Kryolan at our attraction. Don't even waste your time with any generic drug store kits.

Comment

Hello all ~

I will 100% second screamforadream suggestion for Mehron makeup .. fantastic quality .. and the phrase "a little goes a long way" is ENTIRELY TRUE with Mehron....

A few little tips.... have Baby Oil on hand .. to apply to any skin that you are applying the make up to .. it creates a "barrier" between your skin and the make up .. and it helps the make up to spread(especially Mehron)

Many makeup vendors will say you "need" thier "makeup setting " powder/solution.. in fact you DON'T .... use baby powder .. and have a water "spritz" bottle avaialble .. Once you are done with make up .. do a few "puffs' of baby powder.. spritz it with water .. and the puff again LIGHTLY .... then blow off (not with a compressor) if you have a makeup "puff brush" available use that to remove the remaining powder.. it will set the makeup.. and is a lot cheaper than the vendors "setting powder".

Also make sure you have a GOOD supply of Baby Wipes ( Thanks Allen H for that tip) to take off the make up.... they work wonders.

As always make sure your actors are NOT allergic to any colored dyes or such .. we had that issue ...even with the Mehron makeup ...one year .. the actor was allegic to Red Dye and we and he did not know it till he had a reaction at the end of the night.

Just my humble thoughts.
        ~LoneWolf

Comment

Special note for the above comment from lone wolf....use Alcohol FREE baby wipes, if they contain alcohol you and your actors won't be very happy lol.

Comment

Budget

Also, be sure when you're doing your budget to add about a 5-10% of your total cost for MISC. because a lot of people run out of money for some important things at the end. We had some surprises this year like having to put in an extra driveway into our parking lot and running extra lighting that cost us a few thousand extra dollars that we luckily had budgeted in. You just never know what may come up and you don't want to have to pull ANY money from your advertising budget to pay for anything but Advertising. Many people make the mistake of not budgeting enough and then the only money left to pull from that hasn't been used is there marketing/ads, so don't make that mistake.

Comment

For airbrush Allen hopps told me about this and it works good for me also. Just go to harbor freight they have a standard airbrush kit with compressor runs about 150. Then they do have a kit that has 6 airbrushes in it also for around 150 it all works good for more simple work and base coat I do have a more expensive airbrush for the more detail though. Just use basic acrylic paint mixed with water for the makeup also. I would talk to Allen about it a bit more he is the one who told me about it all and know he uses it for his haunt
              Kyle Guillette
              Dysfunctional Concepts-Haunted Alaskan Motel

Comment

Allen Hopp's airbrush methods are what we use everynight! Super cheap, super fast and looks awesome if you can handle an airbrush. It'll take some practice, but I, along with one other person, are able to paint 30 actors in about an hour. Buy his DVD, he explains everything.
                www.catacombproductions.com

Comment

I know it's a bit after the original post, but we also use Wolfe. With their Hydrocolor Makeup, you don't need to mess around with baby oil, setting powders, or baby wipes. Goes on with water, comes off with soap and water. Plain and simple. You can apply with a sponge, cotton balls or Q-tips, or any paintbrush. With a fine tip brush, you can paint cracks, tears, or tattoos that look real.

The best part is that when it dries, it doesn't smear like the oil based makeup. It's nearly impossible to sweat off because your skin can breath (although if you get your skin wet, it will run). Do an image search for Hydrocolor makeup and you'll see a lot of examples of what can be done with it.
                  Chad Portenga
                  www.hauntedhall.com

Comment

Working...
                  X