Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Transworld Charging!!

Hey Guys

Just doing some research on all the shows this year and I was shocked when I went across the Transworld Page and saw this....Again, This is DIRECTLY from the REGISTER PAGE on TRANSWORLDS Site....Not some rumor Ive heard

Welcome to Registration for the 17th Annual Halloween & Attractions Show (and 28th Annual International Halloween, Costume & Party Show)!

The cost to attend this event is $50.00 per person in advance and includes 4 day access to the show floor featuring The Dark Zone, The Interactive Haunted House, make-up demos on the show floor, Key Note Address Friday morning, opening night party on Thursday , industry expert panel discussion on Saturday night and one early bird seminar Saturday morning. Register today to take advantage of preshow pricing. On site fee is $60.00 per person. Haunt Tours, seminars and workshop tickets are available for an additional cost. Please visit our seminars and events page for dates and times.

So as you can see, they will be charging a $50 entrance fee per person. Now while some will say $50 bucks isn't bad, not everyone can afford it to go the the biggest show in the industry. Some haunts (Charity and Home Haunts) will not be able to come up with the funds to attend this show. Causing the numbers to drop off and the vendors not getting the foot traffic/orders that they've become use too. How do you guys feel as haunt owners feel about the charge? And before you say it...I know some people will argue that I shouldn't be there because I don't own a haunt, therefore making my opinion null and void. However, While I do attend Transworld every year (To get myself booked) I NEVER waste any vendors time or take a catalog that I don't plan on ordering from.
    Last edited by Tater; 11-06-2011, 09:29 PM. Reason: bolding
    Jesus loves you, but everyone else thinks you're an asshole.

Tater,
    I completely see your side of it, but If they cant afford a $50 fee then do the vendors want them at their booth? If the $50 entry charge could be applied towards a class, then that would be awesome. The $50 beaks down to $12.50/day I see it as reasonable.
    I think the locals who already have a very low cost to go to the show will be hit the hardest, the folks like me who already pay $150+ for a hotel each night, and $400 or so for air travel will not feel the hit as hard- but we may look to save a bit in other areas to defray the cost.
    Allen H
    www.Stiltbeaststudios.com
    http://www.youtube.com/user/Stiltbea...s?feature=mhee

Comment

Oh No Allen I see it both sides, Im just worried about some Charity haunts that dont have the budget as the big haunts. If they bring 4 people (2 owners, Set designer, and Actor Trainer) the 50 turns into 200 really quick, which in some cases (NOT ALL) may be the difference on if they can afford a prop or not. I think its really odd that I have to spend money to figure out if I wanna spend more money.

Comment

I have always wanted them to charge like Iappa does. More qualified buyers and not bus loads of unqualified buyers.
        Lordgrimley.com for the very best items on the net.

Comment

Transworld Vendor solution?

Many will not like the fact that TW is charging admission.
          This blow could be softened by Vendors stating out front a dollar amount to spend with them and hen they discount the $50.
          As if haunt company X says spend $600 and it will only cost $550. That might drive business to certain vendors, and it will nullify the impact the entry cost has on haunts. Its just a thought, but if it were embraced it could ease the blow to attendance, drive business to vendors who communicate well (since they need to monitor this forum to see this post), may get a buyer to spend a bit more to reach the limit, and it is early enough that the vendors have not yet set their show specials and this could be worked in.
          I hate to burden the haunt vendors with the cost, but hopefully they can see the beneficial side of it.
          Allen H
          www.Stiltbeaststudios.com
          http://www.youtube.com/user/Stiltbea...s?feature=mhee

Comment

Speaking as someone who does not own a haunt, I think that this is a good idea for Transworld. I personally would pay the $50 to be able to get into the show and actually meet people who are in this industry, as well as possibly be able to take a class or three from someone who has succeeded in this industry. I've been building my own props and scenery for a number of years, and would love to be able to sit down with someone in the industry and pick their brain a little bit about actually working in this industry. If I can go to Transworld, pay $50 to get in, and learn something from some of the people there, I would consider it money well spent. Including airfare and hotel costs. Of course, I'm nobody but a bystander in this industry, who one day hopes to be in a place where I can do scenic design and actor training for a pro haunt. So this is just my opinion.

Comment

It's a toss up for me. This economy probably isn't the BEST time to be adding an additional fee but I agree with Allen, cause my first thought was, I paid $600 after airfare, car and hotel for 2011...so $50 more just seems like I'm being nickeled and dimed considering the show has always been free. I know some people who planned on going simply BECAUSE the show was the "cool" and free thing to do and therefore probably won't be attending next year because of the now incurred cost. I also agree that if $50 is a make or break then you probably shouldn't be at Transworld as a BUYER. Don't take that comment as an offensive one because I've been to TW two years in a row now and have every intent on being there 2012, but we're so low budget that buying props hasn't really been much of a priority (at least while at the show). We did all of our buying post-TW (clearcut, darklight, fright props), but it was fun going to the tradeshow!! This new "fee" will definitely probably cut down on the "stragglers" of TW...it sucks cause everyone should experience it but that's business I guess. Advantage I will say, it sounds like they're trying to offer things "for your $" such as demos, party, etc. We'll see if it's worth it.
              O'Shawn McClendon
              Creative Chair -- Operator: Cayce-West Columbia Hall of Horrors

One mans junk is another mans kick-ass new prop...

http://www.hallofhorrors.com

http://twitter.com/hallofhorrors

http://cwchallofhorrors.blogspot.com

http://www.youtube.com/hallofhorrors

http://www.myspace.com/cwcjc_hallofhorrors

Comment

James

Transworld has always been free...you just had to meet the requirements to get in.

Oshawn buddy

If you noticed all of that stuff was included the at least the last 5 years. As far as I can tell the only thing thats diff is the early bird class on Saturday

Again, Im not against this I just wanted to point it out to people, so they know

Comment

Tater,
                  I appreciate you pointing this out, because I was beginning to think that I would have to find someone who would be willing to allow me to tag along if I ever wanted to go to TransWorld. Sadly, I do not yet meet the requirements to attend on my own. You have to be able to show that you have an involvement in the haunt industry, and I don't meet that requirement yet. So the money spent would be worth it to me, to help me network a little more.

Comment

There was pole taken before this decision was made!

So Transworld did a bit of research and took a pole with a group of Haunt Owners and asked what they would pay as an entrance fee to Transworld..... The average price was $100.
                    So they pulled it back to $50 in the end.
                    I think it's always tough to swallow an entrance fee to a show that has been free forever but there are many other trade shows that do charge an entrance fee.
                    I went to the HAUNT X trade show and paid $40 and it was tiny!!!! I thought that was the norm!
                    I know this is hot potato BUT.....
                    As a Vendor myself I don't see it as a bad thing. Yes it will thin out the crowd a little (tiny bit).
                    But if it brings more qualified buyers in and less tire kickers then it's not a bad thing!
                    Also as a Vendor we it $$$$ costs $$$$ a lot to do this show.
                    1. FREIGHT COST
                    2. DRAYAGE
                    3. BOOTH SPACE
                    4. ELECTRICITY
                    5. AIR
                    6. FLIGHT
                    7. HOTEL, food, etc
                    8. CATALOGS

It's a lot in the end!

I'm just saying : )
                    sigpic
                    PEACE, ADAM
                    www.poisonprops.com

Comment

Would be interested to know what the $50 goes to? However you easily save $50 on vendor discounts.

Comment

It's All "Relative"

I knew a couple who made their living making custom jewlery and selling it at numerous art shows across the country. They attended such a show at The Donald Stephans Center (Chicago area Transworld building) and never went back there again simply because the booth space was so high they could not make any money.
                        They continued in their business for many years afterward but never even thought of returning to that location.
                        I have not been to Transworld for several years now (no matter what some people think! It wasn't me you met there)
                        Was the floor at Transworld getting too crowded?
                        Maybe they could charge $12.50 a day for the one-day people?
                        Will some people complaining about the $50 fee worried about that fee cutting into their booze money? hahahah!
                        It's all "relative" isn't it?
                        If your wife & kids have to eat pinto beans for a week so You can go there... stay home.
                        hauntedravensgrin.com

Comment

$50

It will not effect me from going to TW but it may change someones mind on who was deciding to go to TW or Mid West. The change will probably help a few people make up there minds on what show to go to. For those that go to the show for ideas and maybe spend a little money but there main reason being the haunt tours and networking this will definitely have a effect on there choice on which show to go to.

Shawn
                          http://www.twistedwoods.com

Comment

I agree if you can't afford the $50 entrance fee you're probably not able to afford a $5,000 animation. Its probably better to cut down on all the window shoppers.

DA

Comment

Although I will still be attending fee or no fee, I would certainly like to know where the "poll" was posted to haunt owners because I certainly didn't get one and am an owner. I am sick of the same people answering for "every haunt" in the business. I know, I know shut up but I have really been watching this forum for a number of years. It always seems to be the same people making decisions and not extended to "everyone". That should have been a poll sent to everyone registered as a haunted house owner. Just my 2 cents.

I think the requirements should be tightened as well to get in. But if an owner values you as a decision making person on their team, then they should absolutely be allowed access to the show. I don't feel just anyone off the street should be allowed entry.

Although I think that might be a great "discount offer" from vendors, I think they take enough of a hit with all their fees that they shouldn't have to offer this form of discount. They already give us "show pricing". But Transworld should give us a FREE seminar or discount off (ie 10/20% off each seminar not to exceed $50.00) for attending. Where is this money going.....good question. No different than our customers, what are we getting for our money, it's harder to make than harder to spend it in this business.

Comment

Working...
                              X