Interesting Final Night of the Season

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Interesting Final Night of the Season

It’s 6:55pm on November 5th. It’s our industry night. Our way of saying thanks to all the haunters in our market. Our way of giving Halloween to all who are involved and a chance for customers to be able to redeem their tickets before the end of season (Our lines can get long, so our tickets are good all season). Jack O Lanterns are carved and placed, shows are 100% ready to open, actors are in their spots, air compressors are fired, fog is flowing and the pyro is screaming. We’re ready to give our friends and customers the best show ever! We have a parking lot full of customers waiting for the hayride into the park when suddenly the entire park loses power. No electricity! In fact, no electricity to the entire city. We have no idea why. So here we are on our final night of the season with tons of other haunters and halloween enthusiasts ready to get scared and we’ve just been slammed with a major problem. No Electricity? What to do? Well, we put a show on no matter what.

Luckily, we had a backup plan. With the help of Allen and his crew at Screams/Trail Of Terror and our other wonderful friends who came out to play on the midway, the customers were entertained while we quickly flipped all of shows to Holiday In The Dark (glowstick night). With a crew of 3 people we were able to convert both of our shows to a lights out event, while our makeup crew jumped at the opportunity to prep our actors for it as well. We rounded up all the leftover glowsticks, Props were moved, foggers, spark fences and breakers were all disengaged until we had enough juice from our generator to provide music and power for our crisis control system to the 2 shows. We’re in the dark completely but we’re ready to open. The park was lit up from jack o lanterns and all of our trusty 18v battery powered Ryobi flashlights. (Never thought we’de ever have a reason to own so many flashlights, but I’m glad we do now.)

At 7:30pm we were 100% ready to send customers into our shows and determined to provide an excellent evening for all who made the trip. We ran the shows for almost an hour and a half this way until the power was restored. We then put both houses on break for 15 minutes, ran thru both shows in costume quickly converting them back to our normal show. Again, I’m so glad we had such a gracious midway crew this evening as customers never once complained.

It’s 9:15pm now. The park is packed and both shows are fully operational with all fog, snow, lights and air functional. Our actors did such a great job moving from one style of show to the other. Our staff is outstanding! We had a great attendence this evening and it turned out to be a very memorable experience. All of our local haunt friends as well customers were all so much fun and patient. We scared guests till 2am and then naturally partied the night away. It was a very stressful situation, but did you really think we were gonna miss out on a chance to scare people? I don’t think so!

Guess the moral of this story is... Always have a backup plan and good friends! Hope everyone’s season was great! Anybody else have any crazy nights?

Blammy!
    Daniel Burnett
    PR/Operator
    Reindeer Manor Halloween Park: Est. 1974
    13th Street Morgue/Dungeon Of Doom/Reindeer Manor

sigpic

reindeermanor.com
    whenhingescreak.com

Daniel,

Jay and I had a blast at the industry event. You all didn't miss a beat. Kudos to your leadership and staff on a job well done.

Jim
    Haunt 2013, LLC
    Dallas, TX
    Jim Shackelford, Co-Owner
    Haunt 2013, LLC
    and
    The House of Boo
    Dallas, TX
    www.haunt2013.com
    www.thehouseofboo.com

Comment

It was a great and fun night, Im glad me and mine could help entertain the people while the switch was made- you guys are first class all the way- you hardly missed a beat.
      Allen H
      www.Stiltbeaststudios.com
      http://www.youtube.com/user/Stiltbea...s?feature=mhee

Comment

That Is FANTASTIC!

Amazing! Totally smart!
        A funny scene has happened here a few times at Ravens Grin. Power goes out to the whole town, or this part of the town (It's the downtown), everything is dark as a tar bucket's innerds.. except for the Haunted House! it's all lit up because I'm the only business that has emergencty battery powered lighting in every room!(And other corners!)
        Suddenly we are the most un-scary as compared to all other buildings here.
        hauntedravensgrin.com

Comment

Originally posted by Allen H View Post
          It was a great and fun night, Im glad me and mine could help entertain the people while the switch was made- you guys are first class all the way- you hardly missed a beat.
          Allen H
          I think my heart missed a few beats! I was glad yall were there to keep the crowd happy while we piddled and fiddled!

Alex
          Alex Lohmann

Owner/Operator 13th Street Morgue Haunted House www.13thstreetmorgue.com
          Owner/Operator Dungeon of Doom Haunted House www.dungeonofdoomtexas.com
          Owner/Operator When Hinges Creak LLC. www.whenhingescreak.com
          PR Director for Reindeer Manor Haunted Abusement Park www.rmabusementpark.com
          Founder of Dallas Trocars Hearse Club www.dallastrocars.com
          Rev Yum Yum

Comment

Working...
          X