No announcement yet.

drug use

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ive worked for an advertising agency here in Dallas a few years ago and I must say the owners and a handful of other top people would smoke out in the photography studio before they went home everyday after work. They were very normal, ambitious, and professional who did show up at work everyday and made a succesful living for themselves.

Oh the otherhand, ive personally had some very close friends who smoked out daily and I saw how it changed them for the worst. They had good jobs and were fun to be around before they started smoking. They ended up not being able to hold a job and were boring to hang out with because all they wanted to do was smoke weed everyday. Get stoned and be couch potatoes. I eventually stopped hanging around them because of this. They were the perfect poster child for a "so no to weed" commercial.

Ive had my share of it too when I was young but overall I think recreational drug use effects people differently. Some let it control them, and some know when enough is enough. I think overall, just look past the drug issue and view them as a person. If they have all the qualities you are looking for then I would go for that other than their off duty drug use.

I would give them a chance as long as they didnt show up to work in that state of mind. I would make it VERY clear. Just use your best judgement. You can usually tell if someone has a problem with it.
    www.myspace.com/travis_magee

Comment

Why make excuses? Pot is illegal, it is a drug, and causes long term problems for you. Why even do it, and better yet why accept it as casual drug use? Even a heroin addict can say they are a casual heroin addict, but they are still addicts, criminals, and outright losers. You get one shot at a short life on this planet, why corrupt it for a false high? Pot is no better or no worse than heroin, crack, meth, they are all harmful and all illegal.

If you kill someone by stabbing or hanging, are you no less a murderer if you butcher them or decapitate them or worse? No, of course not you are still a murderer in the eyes of everyone.

I am in no means lumping in legal drug use, for those who need medication to live a normal life, that was never a point of topic with anyone on this thread. I am all for that!

I knew some pot smokers, and I can't think of any who started smoking pot and didn't move on to something more dangerous. Why start, why complicate life more than it is? And as a business owner, why allow it when you can have like-minded people who were smart enough, strong enough, and enough of a leader to avoid doing it in the first place around you?

It's too big of a risk for me. I'd rather set an example and help people move away from that sort of lifestyle. We haunters have enough stereotypes surrounding us as it is, we don't need anyone associated with us who carries the lable of a junkie, pot smoker, or anything like that tied into our reputation, our business, and our standing in the community.

Allan

Comment

The fun part is if you care for someone who is a pot smoker with no ambition or job. Tis a bear trying to help them out, find a job, have them work round your place, etc. Tis the individual ambition I guess that gets doomed.
        The word for the day is NPD. Check it out.

Comment

I was told about a talented (at one time , anyway?) man in the haunted supply business whose employees gave him a bumper sticker for Christmas that said:"My Other Car got sucked up my nose as white powder!" Or something like that, yes he did have that problem which kept finances tight for everyone associated with him.
          From about the age of 5 people always were telling me I was "Different", later "Artistic" then came other words like "Crazy", "Nuts", so as a high schooler in the drug-induced 60's I stayed WAY CLEAR of drugs because I already was suspect because I was naturally wired "Different" than the accepted norm.
          I really never wanted to share the credit with drugs for my own creative ideas.
          Love them or hate them, they are my own thoughts, no smoke, no chemicals, so there! NAH, NAH!
          hauntedravensgrin.com

Comment

Re: HMM

Originally posted by Ken Spriggs
            Wow some strong feelings toward drugs.....

I do them every day of my life! Yep 1 pill for my high blood pressure to keep me from exploding and 1 for my stomach to keep the acid at a minimum....stress it does a body good!
            Those a prescription drugs, those are allowed, but I think that some are not safe to take during the day, for instance I have to take imipramine at night because my crapass day job is fricking irritating and I endup all neurotic afterwards and can't sleep at night. And that thing makes you drowsy, so if you take it at work you become a zombie... very useful if you play one as an actor at your haunt , but not recomendable if you have to do something else.

I have some really conservative toughts about drugs, if you do an anti-dopping test right now all you will find is light traces of imipramine (cause I take one pill at night, every day) and nicotine, nothing more... I take that one cause doctor said I need to to avoid pains and aches caused by stress (especially headache, backpain, and optic nerve pain) but besides that I don't even take aspirin for headache, I only take meds when my life or functionality is threatened.
            http://www.redcrowdesign.net

Comment

My father hired a guy at his shop not long ago who was a damn good machinist. He moved down here from Detroit and needed a job. (my father owns a machine shop). The guy worked there for about 2 months until he had to give everyone a random drug test. Turned out the new guy is a HEAVY cocain user. (when I say heavy i mean heavy!) He had a talk with the guy to get off of it or else hes fired. He even told him he was going to randomly test him again. The guy was very grateful and for the next month all he talked about was how this opportunity was the best thing in his life and how he has changed in his life around. He was soo thankful he had another chance. Well the day came to send him off to get tested. The guy said dont even bother because hes still been using. So, he had to let him go.

Nothing good comes out of drugs. Its sad to see someone with such a great talent in whatever he does go down the drain because of drug use.
              www.myspace.com/travis_magee

Comment

You guys are all correct. I also respect Jim for what he says too, he wants the best for himself and his show and that's why he's so imaginitive, in a good and safe way.

Also Travis, you said it best whan you said Nothing good comes out of drugs!

Allan

Comment

I know this topic has strayed on a little too long, but I have to pipe in (pun alert) here.
                  My day job is human resources, so I drug test people on a daily bases. I also supply temporary employees for local factories. I can say with 12 years of experience under my belt that I know for a fact that there is a clear distinction between addict and a causal drug user. I know people that have worked for years in factories, use pot and alcohol on the weekends, and are excellent employees. I have also seen pot, alcohol, and other various substance users that are basically pieces of dung. I wouldn't put them to work in a pie factory. The key difference is personal responsibility. I think it is just human nature to seek a little escapism. The problem lies in letting your escapism vacation become your reality. And, this is not just limited to drugs, but other flights of none reality such as tv, the internet, and lets not forget one of the latest, The Worlds of War-CRACK.
                  I cannot fault a man or woman that slaves away 40 plus hours a week in a mindless and repetitive job for seeking a little escape in their spare time. And, what form that takes is their own personal choice. However, when they are on my time they need to have their head in reality, and if they don’t then they have a problem.
                  When it comes to the illegality of some things, I can’t say I can hold that with a lot of regard. I can’t really buy into what the government makes illegal, and what it deems legal. If they can continue to allow tobacco to be legal, A PROVEN KILLER, then it’s pretty obvious that they are not looking out for the well being of the general public, but rather the well being of someone’s pocket book. Maybe I’m wrong, but most laws a long these lines are designed more with the economic good of some in mind, and with little regard for any greater social good.
                  However, when it comes to my haunt, just like in my day job, I expect people to keep their habits, escapes, and distractions away from my livelihood. That is just plain respectable, and if you don’t have respect for the job you are doing, or the person that is providing that job then you have no right to be there. After you are done working I don’t care if you go home and snort Spanish Fly and watch donkey sex shows. I personally love to roll naked in green Jell-O to escape (lol), that’s just me, but I make damned sure I’m ready to do my job when the time comes, and I expect that out of everyone that works for me.
                  This is just my humble opinion, and I respect everyone else’s on this matter.
                  sigpic
                  Louis Brown
                  Owner, operator, and dish washer
                  at
                  DarkWood Manor

Comment

This is just my opinion. I fully am aware you are speaking of illegal drugs here, I can't help but feel that one big reason people use these illegal drugs and other legal substances is because of their problems and stress. Life can be great, but life can also be very, very, difficult, dealing with things you never imagined you'd be dealing with. Everyone deals with things in a different way. Some people smoke pot, smoke use heavier drugs, some smoke cigarettes, some chew, some are compulsive shoppers, some people over eat, some people are plain rude and nasty to others in general, and the list can go on and on. While most of these things are legal, I'm just stating that they are all ways people cope. No one knows, who has been through what in their lives. We can all be guilty of pointing out other people's weaknesses, until we take a look at ourselves. I learned a long time ago, I am not perfect, and I can't expect all my family and friends to be either. When I was a teenager I will admit I used marijuana. I have not used it since and I'm 35. But,,,after some events in my life,,,, there are days when I think,,,wow I would love to get wasted, just to escape from reality, if only for a few hours. Do I? No. But does even thinking it make me a weak person? Maybe you think it does. I on the other hand think it makes me human. I can be a leader, I can be strong, but I can also be weak and vulnerable, depending on what life is handing me at the time. I try to no longer judge people on what they do on their own time,, remember there are some who admit no wrong doing,, only because we can't see what happens behind closed doors.
                    Do you have an insatiable appetite for Halloween? Are you intrigued, rather than disgusted with gore? If so, you must be ALittleFreaky too.

Comment

i must agree that there are great workers that do smoe sort'a drug (mainly it seems to tb eht pot smokers) and there are those that are not worthy of having a job. so yes, i know of two people that meets one or the other.

(catching onto soemthing that a little freaky mentioned) being mean to the general public is not really a way to releave stress..that's more of a psychological issue..well actually drug use can be that (in some cases) too.

Comment

To add my 2 cents- I have a no tolerance policy on this kind of subject. Now, I do not give a drug test to my employees when they are hired, but once I find out that someone is smoking or doing drugs, then they can kiss the privilage goodbye of working in my haunt.
                        Brad Bowen
                        Owner/Operator of the Ultimate Fear Haunted House in Shreveport, LA
                        www.ultimatefear.net

Comment

Again, why make excuses? Whether or not these pot smokers "know their limits" and can still hold down jobs through the week, it doesn't change the fact that they are criminals for breaking the law, and weak for having to turn to drugs to take the edge off, or for falling victim to peer pressure when they were young. And about not being able to comment on what people's situations are and how bad they might have it, that personally that carries no weight to me. I grew up under conditions far worse than 99% of these junkies out there, trust me!!! You either resist and rise above or you fail and let yourself and those around you down.

I think I'll continue to keep the company of and work with people who stay away from drugs, or any other crutch that people use to deal with life. Sooner or later we all have to step up and hold ourselves accountable for our actions and decisions, and making excuses and accepting bad things as a part of life will have to stop. Also, Little freaky, I am not even pretending to be perfect. But ignoring the problem and accepting it makes me a part of the problem. I have moments of weakness as well, but I'm always stronger than having to turn to drugs or alcohol, that's what family and friends are for. To do drugs, for whatever reason, is weak! Man up and admit it!

Off my soapbox now....

Allan

Allan

Comment

Yes, it is true. The use of anything to get by in life other than your own strength and will power is weak. Anything! And this most assuredly includes playing the game of moral-one-ups-manship, and self-righteous disdain. These too are crutches of the weak. But, do not threat, I’m sure some poet must have once waxed philosophical and observed that man is often defined by their weaknesses. I'm only assuming, but I think we are all still flesh and bone here.
                            Well, I think I have revealed a hidden weakness right here…..I’m a freakin’ libertarian ….or a preacher.
                            I need to fire my butt. Hand me that soapbox! I’m going to the street! I fill an old time sermon a coming on! :twisted:
                            God I need some green Jell-O! :wink:
                            sigpic
                            Louis Brown
                            Owner, operator, and dish washer
                            at
                            DarkWood Manor

Comment

If that green Jello ends up being served in a school cafeteria you might get 10 years to life for such perversion.
                              Many years ago when I worked installing furnaces the radio announcer declared that "X" millions of people in this country smoke dope everyday!
                              I thought, "No way." I sure didn't think anyone I knew could have been doing this, they must be desperate to create a news story this day.
                              Then my Dad ordered 5 new furnaces. They were supposed to come pre-wired, just connect four wires , I connected those four wires. Nothing happened.
                              I opened the next electrical box in the furnace and all the wires were loose with a handfull of loose plastic wire nuts in the mix too!?
                              Every wire they used to wire that furnace was either white or red in color.
                              This stupidity helped not at all when I had to fix this screw-up.
                              Then one of the blower motors wouldn't run (brand new!) Someone had tightened the screws that pull the motor case together so hard that the bearings inside the motor couldn't turn!
                              I think I know where those dope smokers work.
                              Thanks for making my day busier and longer as I redo your job.
                              Know anything about repairing the brakes on my car?
                              hauntedravensgrin.com

Comment

We all have our own moral compass and we tend to project what we find acceptable and unacceptable to those around us. I consider myself a very laid back person and do not feel like I'm judgemental and because of that attitude people seem to feel comfortable confessing a multitude of "indisecretions" to me. It's not my place to lecture them or patronize them or think I'm better than them for their life choices. However, there are things that I do not tolerate - such as neglect /cruelty or disrespect to animals (this would include not taking the responsibility to spay or neuter your pet) or viewing a stray animals as "not your problem" when it shows up at your house. I also have no tolerance for gay bashing or racials slurs. People that are around me pick up on this quickly. Therefore, even though they may feel comfortable telling me about many things in their life they aren't going to tell me about surrendering their pet to the SPCA or the fact they refused to help the homeless kitty outside. Or if they believe gay people are going to heLl or some other crap. My point is, that you may think you have surrounded yourself with people that hold your same values. Not everyone will be completely honest about their life choices especially if they know your stance on things. I guarantee that all of you who proclaim you do not "associate" with people who use drugs do and just don't know it.

Let me play devil's advocate here - I'm not saying this is or isn't my opinion but I'll throw the arguement out there:

Some people are claiming drugs and (hey now we've even lumped a legal vice in there - alcohol) are "bad" and for "the weak" and a "crutch." Have you ever heard the same argument used for people who attend church? Again, not saying this is how I feel, but it's an arguement I hear frequently. Some say organized religion is "bad" because of wars fought over it or because of the scandals in certain churches. Again, "bad" and what makes people "weak" are so very subjective.

And lets talk legality here. It's illegal to speed - I'm sure we're all guilty of that one. Does it make you "immoral" becasue you broke the law or "weak"? No....we're human.

I am sitting here with a horrible cold and sudafed used to really kick some a$$ for me. Now thanks to the meth users sudafed has changed their formula and it sucks. So the government is regulating my sudafed purchases - ok, so I can't buy sudafed. However, the guy who shot 32 people at Tech LEGALLY purchased the flippin gun even though he had been involuntarily committed. Think about that one. You can't buy cold medicine here in VA - but by god it's your right to buy a semi automatic! As many as you want - no waiting period - bring your kids on down to the gun show! Yee haw. It's also illegal to kill someone - but if someone broke into my house and was attacking my family I'd kill someone in the name of protecting my family. (Although I'm not sure how as I don't own a gun - maybe I could beat them to death with my stripper pole :P )

Believe me, I had a stick up my butt for years. I didn't drink or smoke or do anything even remotely wrong. You have to be true to yourself above all - I'm not advocating everyone do drugs or feel the same way morally about everything. However, I think there is much more room for acceptance and tolerance vs judgement and condemnation. If you don't like drinking then fine, don't do it. Don't call people that do "weak" or "bad" - it's simply not fair or in my opinion accurate. I think it's perfectly reasonable to expect your actors shouldn't be drinking or doing drugs while at your haunt. It seems most people have agreed on that point. So now, we are once again just arguing over morals and what some people think is right and what some think is wrong.

Live and let live - I'm off to go take crappy, yet legal, cold medicine.

Comment

Working...
                                X