Compressor size

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Compressor size

I going be doing an out door haunt what size compressor do i need ill be running any where between 4-15 props???

Need a lot more info than that in order to give a professional estimate.

Size of cylinders, number of actuations per 15 minute period, line size, reservoir size, etc.

It is ALWAYS better to go BIGGER than go SMALLER.

Bigger = Less compressor runs per duty cycle ( typically 15 minutes )

Smaller = More compressor runs per duty cycle

I have four animatronics that utilize multiple bimba cylinders for my home haunt, and my 17 gallon is perfect.

My guess? You should consider something above a 30 gallon oil-less compressor if you are talking about 15 props.

Comment

I Don't Buy...

"Oil less Compressors any more.
      But then my house is open almost 365 nights a year in Northern illinois.
      Oil less compressors fly apart. I kept buying this $18 plastic air wheel for one about every year after it was a few years old, finally the rod and piston got pissed=total junk.
      My main compressor is working from inside a small building away from dampness and I drain the tank regularly.
      I recently built a large moving "Thing" and I bought a small oil lubed compressor just for this device. I made a big balanced arm to move the display with so a very small compressor is all I needed to make it "fly".(Tip the teeter-totter) I installed this small compressor under the hood of a wrecked car so the noise becomes the old wreck running again! I don't even waste compressor noise here.!)
      You can buy small compressors lubed via oil through Farm & Fleet, yes the unit is made in China, I pay the $19 extra for the guarantee. They seem to run quieter that the oil=less ones.

The way my house tour is guided and the time between the locations where I need air also makes it possible for me to use a smaller compressor. My Dad and I installed many air conditioners for small local churches who needed AC but didn't have enough $ to do it, we put in the units they could pay for , then the janitor would turn on the AC the night before or eary Sunday morning, by the time the church was heating up, the service was over. Everybody was Happy.
      Last edited by Jim Warfield; 11-21-2011, 08:19 AM.
      hauntedravensgrin.com

Comment

Jim, that all depends.

I have had my oil-less for going on 6 years now, without a single problem. If you properly drain the tank after every use, use water filters and air filters, and ensure the compressor is in a dry environment, provided you buy from a LEGITIMATE company (i.e. Craftsman, Ingersoll Rand, etc) you should not have a problem.

Depending on how much FREQUENT use this compressor will get, an oil-less is usually the way to go. I use mine day in and day out on all of my car maintenance tools, air ratchets, etc. and have yet to have any issues.

Now, if you ever plan on going bigger and better, you might want to just shell out the cash now for a LARGER OIL COMPRESSOR. They are more quiet, have a hell of a duty cycle rating, and will last through even the most industrial uses.

Comment

For instance, if you have the money, buying something like this:

http://www.northerntool.com/shop/too..._158284_158284

Would give you so much more than you would ever need, and it really is only 200-300 more than an oil-less compressor that is 1/3 of the size.

Comment

Keegan,

Is the compressor you posted the same size as the standard 80gallon compressor?

Thanks,
            DA

Comment

DA,

That's a 60 gallon. Couldn't find an 80 in that model...

Comment

Thanks Keegan.

DA

Comment

80 gallon compressor is perfect.

However, the 3 hp wont cut it.

I would go at least 5 to 7 hp.

The 3 hp will run constant and will behind in suppling air.

this also depends how often your props are running and how many are running at 1 time.

Like Jim said...do not get an oiless compressor.

This is what I have :
                  http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_1...=1322143618539

John
                  XtremeCreators LLC

Comment

This is what we use...

http://www.northerntool.com/shop/too...8687_200338687
                    Kevin
                    MindWerxKMG, LLC

Comment

Ravens Grin="One-Man "Show".

So Jim won't be lifting or handling any air compressers that weigh 500 to 1,000 pounds! Especially when I have gotten by for many years with much smaller, cheaper ones.
                      If someone can afford them,(and lift them) these recommendations are very valid though.
                      Open every night , taking people through this house myself, I only need "Air" once every 5 to 20 minutes, plenty of time to re-pump inbetween uses.
                      My compressor shed does have a few compressors on stand-by, that if one fails I can quickly swap hoes, plug them in and be back in "business".
                      hauntedravensgrin.com

Comment

I "Know!"

But why have a "Hoe" if you never swap her? Supposed to be" Hose"......
                        hauntedravensgrin.com

Comment

Hoe

Well said Jim.

Comment

Kevin,

Just curious what makes the $7k 80 gallon compressor that much better than an 80 gallon craftsman compressor?
                            Do you run a lot of animatronics at your place off of this one compressor?

Thanks,
                            DA

Comment

"I Know Teacher! I Know!"

The screw compressor runs smother, quieter, pistons aren't jumping up and down trying to pull themselves apart.
                              Seems to me that any oil lubed compressor will usually run somewhat quieter than the oil-less ones simply because it's crankcase and piston are enclosed behind usually cast iron or steel, holding those noises internally, the opposite of most oil-less designs I have ever seen.(and heard)
                              Of course I don't like to waste anything so the last tiny compressor I bought I installed it close to the item it makes work and the best weather-proof location was in the engine bay of my old wrecked car, so potentually the sound of the compressor kicking on would sometimes fool customers into thinking the old wreck just came back to life!
                              hauntedravensgrin.com

Comment

Working...
                              X