How to make props look frozen?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to make props look frozen?

I want to make a "freezer room" this coming year with "ice" on the walls and I have a big freezer that I would like to make look like it was frozen and put a fogger inside with fog coming out of it, but I can't figure out how to get that white ice look. I've seen the props of the frozen bodies etc. and I'm sure they wont tell their secret, but I was wondering if anyone had figured out how to achieve this effect? Let me know your ideas.....thanks!

-Matt

Clear silicone caulk, rock salt (the kind you put on drive ways) the clear silicone can glue down the salt crystals to look like ice, the clear silicone can be brushed into hair.
    Hmmm do you watch My youtube channel youtube wednesday? I could do an ice one for you if you like.
    Allen H
    www.Stiltbeaststudios.com
    http://www.youtube.com/user/Stiltbea...s?feature=mhee

Comment

Making the "freeze"

I have an idea, but I haven't tried it yet. I will do it this next year.

My thoughts on this is to buy the spray snow at Christmas time. Spray this on your items and scenes then over this apply a clear coat to hold and firm it up. Then, touching up and painting with a flat white paint and then some weathering.

I also need to make a freezer room and I think this is going to work.
      Scaring the yell out of them
      Owner/operator of

http://www.terrorsofthenight.com haunted house

Comment

also prismatic glitter
        www.Stiltbeaststudios.com
        http://www.youtube.com/user/Stiltbea...s?feature=mhee

Comment

Allen, a youtube wednesday for this concept would be great! I know I'd definitely put it to use.

Comment

Youtube Wednesday

Yes Allen I am a subscriber and watch the videos. I like the idea.....it's something different that I'm sure people will be interested in. Thanks for the help I knew you would have a solution. haha

Comment

The hobby shops also carry pouches of fake snow. They are like plastic crystals. Again use adhesive spray and dust the props with them to give them that ice crystal look
              Mike Bizub

Ghouls Gulch www.GHOULSGULCH.com

Comment

A few years back I had to make "Heat Miser" & "Snow Miser" from the christmas show.

For Snow miser , I melted glue stick in a pot and poured it over his head because he has Ice hair.
                I also poured it in other areas like drips off the nose and such. If you want the wet look after that clear epoxy over it when your done.....

It came out perfect.

John
                XtremeCreators LLC
                Last edited by xtremecreator; 11-22-2011, 01:27 PM.

Comment

We are also doing a room with frozen stuff. Great idea for Youtube Wednesday! I would love to chill the room as well, but I'll probably be working in that room and I'm not a fan of the cold. Do Haunters like snow machines? Will I use it one night and change my mind?

Comment

the people making frozen props are using the white and clear urethane casting resin . check out easy flo from smooth on . its a 2 part liquid once mixed it turns in to a hard
                    plastic
                    I'm only doing this to impress 2 people ... The fire marshal and the customer that's it !!!

Comment

Originally posted by Allen H View Post
                      Clear silicone caulk, rock salt (the kind you put on drive ways) the clear silicone can glue down the salt crystals to look like ice, the clear silicone can be brushed into hair.
                      Hmmm do you watch My youtube channel youtube wednesday? I could do an ice one for you if you like.
                      Allen H
                      I seriously opened this topic hoping to see a post from you saying that. Please do.

Comment

Originally posted by xtremecreator View Post
                        A few years back I had to make "Heat Miser" & "Snow Miser" from the christmas show.

For Snow miser , I melted glue stick in a pot and poured it over his head because he has Ice hair.
                        I also poured it in other areas like drips off the nose and such. If you want the wet look after that clear epoxy over it when your done.....

It came out perfect.

John
                        XtremeCreators LLC
                        Do you have any pictures of this? I'd love to see it.

Comment

Allan,

Your youtube page is awesome... never knew you had that. Very good job my Friend!

As to the question itself... I would use silicone clear, then after its dry apply a clear coat over it to give a really shine look.

You could also use some hot glue to make small icicle then again clear coat over the top. We'd love to do a frozen set and I have all sorts of idea's how to make everything look very realistic. One of these days.

Larry
                          Larry Kirchner
                          President
                          www.HalloweenProductions.com
                          www.BlacklightAttractions.com
                          www.HauntedHouseSupplies.com
                          www.HauntedHouseMagazine.com

Comment

Speaking of frozen sets, do any of you guys use an A/C to chill the room? I've always wanted to do that. I want to attack all senses as well as smell and "feel"

All of those ideas are great, and they all would work great. I use to help decorate game rooms and one was a frozen ice tomb. I had to do a lot of stuff. I used the snow spray as well. I also had to make the benches solid ice and the pool table was frozen also. I can't find my pics now, but when I do I'll post. Hot glue with glaze clearcoat spray, the snow with spray and the epoxy varnish for table tops you find at lowe's etc. They all worked great for me.

The benches were solid. Made out of some kind of wood. I sealed them. Then painted them dark blue and black with spray paint. Then I airbrushed the white lines you see in ice. Then I used the hot glue sort of like you would on making the faux candles. Except I used super clear glue. SLIGHTLY painted those then cleared over after lightly dusting with the snow spray. They looked so real it was ridiculous.

Comment

Originally posted by Frightener View Post
                              Speaking of frozen sets, do any of you guys use an A/C to chill the room? I've always wanted to do that. I want to attack all senses as well as smell and "feel"

All of those ideas are great, and they all would work great. I use to help decorate game rooms and one was a frozen ice tomb. I had to do a lot of stuff. I used the snow spray as well. I also had to make the benches solid ice and the pool table was frozen also. I can't find my pics now, but when I do I'll post. Hot glue with glaze clearcoat spray, the snow with spray and the epoxy varnish for table tops you find at lowe's etc. They all worked great for me.

The benches were solid. Made out of some kind of wood. I sealed them. Then painted them dark blue and black with spray paint. Then I airbrushed the white lines you see in ice. Then I used the hot glue sort of like you would on making the faux candles. Except I used super clear glue. SLIGHTLY painted those then cleared over after lightly dusting with the snow spray. They looked so real it was ridiculous.
                              I use a swamp cooler in my hanging body halls.
                              Ken L.

http://www.thedreamsofdarkness.com

Comment

Working...
                              X