Money Making

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Money Making

I'm kind of new to this buisness and was wondering how you haunt owners can afford all of these professinal animations and props selling for hundreds of dollars when you only have a short time during Halloween season where you actually bring in money. Do you guys have other jobs or do you just make so much during the haunt season that your set for the rest of the year. But then again, how do you make a living if you spend a lot of your profits on buying more stuff for next year? How much do you make during the Halloween season anyways. On the NBC news report, it said you guys raked in millions of dollars. That's not for just one haunt though, is it? How much do you sell your tickets for? Another thing that I found interesting in the NBC video was that guy who owned Scream Park. From what I saw, it didn't look like the average trailer haunt, it was a permenent settlement. Does he have to pay rent on that year-round? How could he possibly afford that if he only opens it during Halloween season? What happens to it when the seasons over, it just sits there? Thanks for your time.
    The Ultimate Horror Movie Battle Poll

iNFRAREDKELP-

IF YOU PLAY YOUR CARDS RIGHT YOU CAN MAKE $$ IN THE HAUNT BUSINESS. SAY YOU CHARGE $10.00 AND GET 40,000 THOUGH YOUR HUANT FOR THE HALLOWEEN SEASON THATS 400,000. NOW INCLUDE ANY CONCESSIONS AND YOU GOT A NICE CHUNK OF CHANGE. NO TAKE OUT TAXES, PAYROL, EXPENCES AND IT MIGHT NOT LOOK SO GOOD. FOR THE MOST PART MOST OF US PROBLEY HAVE 2ND JOBS FOR INSURANCE REASONS OR TO BRING IN MORE INCOME BUT IM SURE SOME DONT.

SEAN
    Sean De Wane
    ----------------------------------------------
    The De Wane Asylum
    www.dewaneasylum.com

Comment

How much of that profit will go into hiring actors, engineers, workers, buying new props and advertising?

Comment

The fact is that haunts, like most small businesses, fail as often as they succeed. Most make little to no profit in the early years of their existence. Running a haunt, as you yourself pointed out, is an expensive proposition. Rent, storage, advertising (often as much as $2 for every person you attract), insurance, props, payroll, and more. It adds up in a very big hurry.

Often times people see the long lines outside of seasonal haunts and think it is a quick path to wealth, and the truth is, it simply ain't so.

That said, every dollar put into the haunt is an investment. Some people put their money into stocks and bonds, but professional haunters put their money into their business. We by those expensive props with the hope of ensuring that people will enjoy our show, spread the word, and eventually we will be successful.

While there are some haunts that do make a great deal of money, the vast majority make a modest profit and allow us to "pay to play." It is my goal to make a living in this industry, but I have not yet reached that point. Someday, God willing.

Every situation is different and no one ever has a guarantee of success in this, or any other business. That said, what can be better than making a living (or part of one) doing what you love?

Dave
        Lords of Chaos, LLC
        House of Chaos Haunted Attraction

Comment

And I second that!.. Do I here a Third??

Dennis

Comment

i wonder who are those people that do not have to have that 9-5 job only because their haunt is that successful. it's probably those who do not give away their tips..they sell them through video and books (which is just another way to play your cards right!!)

Comment

I concur....so I be the THIRD!!!! lol

Comment

Are there advantages of having a permenent haunt like Scream Park? My ultimate goal is to own my own permenent haunt park.

Comment

It becomes a business as a full permanent location.

I am for for a perm location myself, as I purchased a 2 acre farm in Riverside County, California to run my show at. (ok, here is a main area picture)
                  http://www.nightmarepark.com/public/...e%2Bmeadow.jpg

Upcoming cornfield set
                  http://www.nightmarepark.com/public/...r%20Meadow.jpg

The BIGGEST advantage of having a permanent location is the avoiding of renting.

1. You are paying rent to the tune of several thousand dollars per MONTH., And THIS is money the haunt has to recoup before it even shows a profit.

2. Even if profitable, the rug can be pulled out from under your haunt if the landlord kicks you out to redo the property. The Haunted Vineyard just suffered that fate but will rebirth at a later time.

So work on getting rural real estate in an unincorporated area, if possible. Makes life much easier.
                  The word for the day is NPD. Check it out.

Comment

Right out of Project BlueBook , Tony! See how the greenery all died in a circle?
                    Them darn UFoz!
                    How much should my haunted house charge for UFO parking?
                    Do they have to actually touch the ground to effect a needed charge?
                    If I rubbed my sneakers on the bottom of the UFO would my shoes provide me with enough anti-gravity influences to establish me as a leading rebounder in the NBA?

Well boogers and Snotz, this was my 6,666 post, the Devil said I couldn't do it. Alright! where did he run off to? Pay up you Hotwheelz cheapskate.
                    hauntedravensgrin.com

Comment

Isn't there some kind of payment that you have to make if you own a permanet haunt? Don't you have to pay rent or something? And what do you do with it during the off season?

Comment

If you own the property, its all about paying the mortgage every month. During the off season, you work on it and give it upgrades and reworking scenery and stuff.

~TheNightMare

Comment

Dangit Jim, did you HAVE to reveal the secret UFO set to everyone on here? That was the only bummer about buying cheap out of Roswell, the durned crop circles. Means I only move the ships VERY carefully 'cause I get the circles all over and my fields begin looking like giant Spirographs!

Comment

Originally posted by TheNightMare
                            If you own the property, its all about paying the mortgage every month. During the off season, you work on it and give it upgrades and reworking scenery and stuff.

~TheNightMare
                            Is paying the mortage expensive?

Comment

Depends on how much you buy the property for. My mortgage for example is less than what I would pay for renting a tiny apartment. I won't say how much, but it is slightly under $1,000 per month.

Comment

Working...
                              X