First time at TransWorld

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• First time at TransWorld

I'll be attending TransWorld for the first time with 2 other cohorts. How much money should I plan on bringing with to attend all the best seminars and whatnot? Is there a best plan-of-action to go about or... should we just "go for it"? I'm really looking forward to going and want to get the best out of the trip! Thanks!
    Bryce Ring
    Co-owner/ Designer
    Twisted Realms Haunted House

Trans

This show will really blow your mind. It did mine. I would recommend HIGHLY that before you go to the show sit down and do the following:

1. What are you trying to accomplish at this show? I need props,inspiration,makeup ideas,animatronics,marketing,etc.
    2. Have a theme or direction in mind BEFoRE the show.
    3.look at the vendor lineup prior to the show and see what they offer on their websites. Then make a list of who you really want to talk to and mark them on the floor map. Go and talk to them before you shop all over. If you just wing it you will get lost in all the cool and innovative products and forget your original train of thought.
    4. Have a budget for your 2012 season. Break this budget down into individual rooms or themes and try to stick to it.
    5. The products and vendors at this show are the best in the industry. But remember that whatever you are buying must make you a return on investment. So for example; That $3500 animatronic is really cool but is it going to help me stand above the rest of my competition or do I want it because I think it is cool?
    6. The more homework you do beforenthe show, the better off you will be. This will also make you more productive at the show. This will also save you a lot of money!!! I promise you this.

I hope that helps a little.As far as the seminars, my advice is skip them. I have found in my last 3 trips to this show that I gain WAY more from spending time on the show floor talking to vendors ten I do in the seminars. Also hit the bar at the Grand and network. Lots of talent here and most are very willing To share knowledge.

Good Luck!

Chaos
    Capt.Chaos
    Fear Asylum Haunted House
    Brookings,SD

fear-asylum.com

Comment

^ what he said and...

Bring a carry behind suite case with you to the show floor to put all you literature into. This is a BIG show, it is doable, but you are going to need a game plan.

As far money go, well, money for what? To buy food, convention centers are pricey, they have you and they know it. The food last year over all was not HORRIBLE, but it wasn't great either. Bring your own water with.

Have a budget, and stick to it. I know I am being random, but writing as things come to mind...

When you get into the convention hall go all the way to the right, keep going until you get to the farthest reaches of the show, you'll have that part of the show to yourself for quite some time. DO the whole show before you buy anything. GO ALL FOUR DAYS.

I've done my fair share of big conventions in my 25 plus years of haunting, take your time, ask questions. Look at the web sites of the vendors before going to have in mind what it is you might want. Hang out at the hotel bar and don't be afraid to ask other haunters for help or opinions. If I am there, I'd be glad to sit down with you and help.

Ed Roberts
      Nightmare Factory
      Salem Oregon
      Ed Roberts
      Founder
      The Nightmare Factory
      www.nightmarefactorysalem.com
      www.westcoasthauntersconvention.com

Comment

Honestly, you can walk and see the whole show in an hour or two tops, it's not that big. But what takes time is talking to vendors and getting your questions answered and any seminars that you do.

DA

Comment

Ditto

HOMEWORK HOMEWORK HOMEWORK

As was stated above, do your research beforehand and go in with a gameplan. There will always be impluse buys, but the more you know before, the better off you will be.

As for seminars, I find the classes at the smaller conventions like Midwest Haunters, to be much more informative. I'd wait to take any classes till then.

And again, as stated, mingle at the bar. The haunt industry is a very close knit group, and getting to know people is not only the best part of the convention, but the most helpful in the end.

It will be a great trip for you, I guarantee it.
          There's nothing wrong with you, there's something wrong with the world you live in.

www.evilusions.com

Comment

Awesome! I'm really excited for the trip. Now, as for the bar, I'm assuming sitting is okay? I'll be a few months shy of the big two-one, hope it wont be a problem.
            Bryce Ring
            Co-owner/ Designer
            Twisted Realms Haunted House

Comment

OR!!!

Come out to visit us in June (1-3) and have a great time with hundreds of haunters that attend!

Ed Roberts
              Founder
              The Nightmare Factory
              www.nightmarefactorysalem.com

Comment

Depends

If your a haunt owner there is only one show to attend and that's TransWorld. It has so much to offer from networking and it's everywhere from the show floor, my party, the lobby of the hotel EVERYWHERE!!! Transworld is about BUSINESS during the day and networking at night! Now if your an actor or manager of a haunt any of the others is more of a fit I think Midwest Haunters has the edge now and seem to always be offering great things in that field. Not knocking the others as they are still newer and growing. Bottom line NONE compairs to TransWorld it's just a fact it has way more people,vendors,seminars,networking opportunities!! Shane and it's just a fact!
                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                X