Outside Haunted Barriers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Outside Haunted Barriers

I was just wondering what different types of props or walls could be used to direct traffic through an outside haunt (aside from trees). My Haunt is going to be in a Rodeo Stadium and part of it will be outside the physical structure I'm building. If I put up a little dinky fence, then people will be able to see it all from the queue line before they even go through it. Is there anything tall that would work? Maybe corn shucks? I'm really not sure. Any help would be great! Thanx!

~Josh
    ~Josh Thompson

http://cheaphalloweenprops.siterubix.com/

Hit up Craigslist and stockpile an hog all the stockade fence and crappy tall fence you can get for free. Seems like that's what you're sort of implying....I'm guessing this is your firs year and don't have a super high budget?? CL can really pay off for you. that or if your budget allows for it, actual walls made of plywood...plus invest in building a nice little facade so your guests can look at something cool/interesting, and wonder what could possibly be behind it as all they hear are screams of people already inside!

Comment

Hay bales and they're cheap and can easily take a beating too.

Comment

What Bobby said.

And clothes lines with bloody sheets work pretty good too. I like layers of things, for instance, a facade of a shed with a fence and then a short picket fence in front of that with some junk thrown in, like wheel barrows and wagon wheels, and maybe a clothes line in front of that. The layers make it look more lived in and gives depth to your scenes which help occupy the minds of your guests.
        www.haroldshaunt.com

Comment

AVOID HAY BALES!!!! The second it rains, they will be the most foul smelling, moldy, gross, infested things you actually paid to get sick from.

Comment

Hay Bales become..

"Hay! Wuts that smell bales.? Hay bales don't seem to be very fire-resistant either, unless they are soaking wet? Bales of hay are not cheap to buy, at least in illinois.
            Anything you put up for a blind or a fence can be knocked down, blown down and smack someone before or as it hits the ground.
            when I was in the JCs our plywood sign fell or blew over, scratched the paint on a woman's car. It was not a big sign either.
            I saved plastic buckets Kitty Litter came in, fill them with rocks and sand, then use much duct tape to secure a small conduit to the bucket to hold something up that will not be very tall and is not an airfoil waiting to lift off when the fall weather gets gusty.
            Old tires filled level full with concrete , with a pipe stub inserted before the crete dries works real well to then screw another pipe into for a standard, easy to roll around from place to place since it is a round rubber tire.
            hauntedravensgrin.com

Comment

haybales

Hay bales work great for me. Boo Hoo, they smell. Give me a break its a haunted house not a Bed,Bath, and beyond. The stink is awsome at my haunt!

Comment

stinky hay bales

I could not leave it at that. There are vendors that sell (BIG HAUNTS) nasty scents. Why not make them you're self ? The exit to my haunt started stinking 3 nights in. I had Hay Bales there. Then I found out why it smelled. Every Third group were pissing there pants. A few had bowel movments. It's amazing what a strobe light,dark works fx villian kicker,15" sub woofers,and a chainsaw can do.

Comment

Well.....there's a HUGE difference between fake scents and real ones. Sinister Scents are great for those decaying flesh scents to mess with a morgue, but I don't want real critters biting my actors who have to work in those scenes, that's repulsive. There's a difference between scary and creating a scene, and just being obscene. If the guy really wanted hay bales that badly, honestly, just make some boxes out of plywood and hot glue hay to them, and then wrap them in twine, there! Stability, look, feel, but without the smell, critters, disease, and other nasties! Compromising does wonders! lol

Comment

My House Smells Like:

"Grandma's House-Grandma's Basement- Grandma's Attic and sometimes depending upon which employee was here Grandpa's Butt!
                    hauntedravensgrin.com

Comment

What do you guys think of this idea?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9OuhsPCocvI

Watch at 5:50
                      ~Josh Thompson

http://cheaphalloweenprops.siterubix.com/

Comment

smells

My haunt smells like a old house and a old pack house. FYI "pack house" means a "big barn"for yankees it's where you stored youre dried tobacco -"backer"- before you took it to the market. Anyways, It smells that way because thats what it is. The property and buildings are over 120 years old. As far as haybales mine are free and they dont have critters or disease what kind hay are ya'll raising in Connecticut?

Comment

i will second the hay bail no no. if you live where water or rain is an issue. the other thing is disposing of them after words. but once wet they just like emediatly begin to deteriate. and when you add up the cost of space for hay bails i think it woyld be close to the of a wall panel yet only offering one season as opposed to several.
                          The Care Taker
                          John "DarkTombCreations.com"

Comment

Hahaha, well we get a LOT of RAIN (and apparently snow now too in October) here in CT, once it rains it gets gross QUICK!! We only had maybe a couple hundred bales just for a VERY small outdoor section. We waited till about 2 days before we opened to drag'em down and put them up. And by the end of the first weekend I was already choking at the thought of having to pick them up in another 3 weeks!! Thank god for volunteers! I ordered the pizza, they picked up the most foul smelling soggy bales I've ever had the displeasure of watching other people pick up. Hahaha.

Comment

Originally posted by Marr Branch View Post
                              I could not leave it at that. There are vendors that sell (BIG HAUNTS) nasty scents. Why not make them you're self ? The exit to my haunt started stinking 3 nights in. I had Hay Bales there. Then I found out why it smelled. Every Third group were pissing there pants. A few had bowel movments. It's amazing what a strobe light,dark works fx villian kicker,15" sub woofers,and a chainsaw can do.
                              Really? Seriously? I'm sure you have a great and scary haunt but I have my doubts every third group people pissed or sh*t themselves at your haunt. So many Haunters say this but it just simply isn't true other than the extreme occasional accident. The truth is many people claim people do this but it rarely happens and that's a good thing! No one wants to walk around messy. People know that when they buy a ticket to tour a haunted house that's it's designed to be scary, there are no surprises so therefore people prepare themselves to get scared. If people really pissed themselves in haunts than EVERY time you see people coming off an extreme roller coaster or intense ride you'd see a few people who soiled themselves and you don't see it.

Sorry to get off topic but I really think Haunters should get out of the habit of bragging about people soiling themselves as a measure of success.

DA

Comment

Working...
                              X