Basements, tunnels

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Basements, tunnels

Understanding that each area of the country can have different codes and restrictions, curious to know what requirements need to be met in these underground parts of attractions? I.E.The basement of a factory...the tunnel under an asylum etc? Sprinkler system? Emergency egress? stairs? Distance to nearest exit? Fresh air circulation?
    Thanks

Stairwell capacity would be #1 how long is going to take X amount of people to escape without trampling one another and how far is that stairwell from the ground exit? Fire extinguishers availability, emergency lights, etc. I don't think sprinklers are as big a deal underground as they are above ground due to the the fact only the ceiling is typically flammable. Most underground areas of things are either brick concrete or both and neither catches on fire.

Comment

Originally posted by HauntedPaws View Post
      Stairwell capacity would be #1 how long is going to take X amount of people to escape without trampling one another and how far is that stairwell from the ground exit? Fire extinguishers availability, emergency lights, etc. I don't think sprinklers are as big a deal underground as they are above ground due to the the fact only the ceiling is typically flammable. Most underground areas of things are either brick concrete or both and neither catches on fire.
      Yes you are right that the floor and walls won't catch fire, but you most likely will have props and wood maze walls. Therefore, I would think sprinklers are necessary.

Comment

It all depends...

I am a fire marshal in my state, but even county to county and jurisdictions interpret and enforce codes differently in our own state, so you will definately need to get your personal fire marshal involved. However, there are a few things with old (historic) buildings that will opt you out of sprinklers and egress etc. and if your building is under 1000 sq. feet you don't have to have sprinklers, but anytime you buy a building to make it into anything it will be a change of occupancy. To determine what occupancy the building will be you have to tell inspectors what you will be doing with the building. A haunted house is considered an amusement building (assembly occupancy) so all of the codes will apply whether it is underground, or on the 10th floor. This means that the code says it will require sprinklers and extinguishers and fire exits every 100 linear feet. Also, your maximum occupancy will be affected by your stairways/doors from downstairs as well as upstairs. There is a lot to consider with all of this, but there are many districts that will relax on some of these rules if it is a temporary deal, and there are some that make it even harder. So, definately contact your local FM and feel him/her out to see how picky they'll be.

Comment

Working...
        X