I got it! A good question to know

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I got it! A good question to know

I got it!!! I know one subject that no one on this forum has asked and I think that it’s important to know. It’s an easy question to answer, but I want to know what everyone does at the end of the haunting year?

What things need to be done at the end of the year?

What’s next at the end of the season? Do you take a break from “it” all or do you get right back to work for next season?

Brian

after tear down and putting everything back on our 17 semi trailers, get paid and take a break until January.
    Brian Warner
    Owner of Evilusions www.EVILUSIONS.com
    Technical Director of Forsaken Haunted House www.Forsakenhaunt.com
    Mechanical Designer (animatronics) at Gore Galore www.Gore-Galore.com

Comment

Sorry, this was first discussed on the Origional Fright Forum that is no longer archived circa 1998 but, if memory serves me right was post number 245.

But yoy are in luck as at that time I did not offer any reply so here is the modern version.

Wonder why no one showed up to haul things out and tear things apart again. Be thankful I had a secret squad of helpers to hire to get it out of there and secure. Wonder why the decorating crew thought 4 million staples was the way to put things up. Wonder how they got so many staples. Begin repairing all the damage to walls and props ( this is not done yet ). Immediately do the next years designs while ideas and actual operation senses are fresh, having seen what worked well and what might also be nice. Make an appointment with the chiropractor from all the moving of stuff. Make a list of who was naughty or nice. Wonder if my charities big Christmas dinner is what I really funded.

Decide to do it again anyhow. Sit in amazement that more than 8 years of my life has passed. Try to gage how much more to put into it in some ratio of what I expect in greater customer responce and turn out for the next year. Wonder why I had to pay real bills intead of go on a post Halloween shopping spree that would have been more fun. Come up with quantum mechanic formulas that make even more things fit into smaller and cheaper places off season. Try to put at least as much effort in to my other business that us open more than 3 weeks.

Crack everything back into place like the T-1000 and get to work after 3 or 4 months. Wonder if having 2 seasonal businesses was really a good idea. Be thankful I don't have to have a real job and be somewhere at 7 or 8 AM and be a clean cut happy person. Woner why I will have to put brakes on the hearse after only 7 years of driving around. Rmember all the freinds I have run into over the years that led to this and now understand the perspective of their advice.

Wonder why the Transworld pictures show that 8 years ago everyone had multiple booths and fantastic sets as back drops to their products and service and now everyone has a 3 foot small vinyl banner and a card table with buisness cards and fliers. Get on the forums to see how everyone else faired.

Be thankful I still kept myself too busy to write a manifesto.
      sigpic

Another fabulous post from the U.S.Department of Wild Imaginings, now in spectaclar stereo, sponsored by the Adhesives and Sealants Council, suggesting ways to stick things together since the 1800s. Not fabulous in a gay way. Your results may vary. Illinois residents add 8% sales tax. These posts have been made by professional post makers, do not try this type of posting on your own without extensive training, lovely assistants and a trusty clown horn.

Comment

If the weather in northwestern Illinois turns cold and wet (but more importantly unpredictable, the weatherman is screwing-up every day)
        Then come November "One", the season is yesterday's newspaper, nobody wants it , thinks about it, it's dead and over.
        Of course on the other hand, if the weather is still decent and predictable or better yet still nice, warm and dry, then November, almost right up to "Turkey Day", can be very profitable here for me , since I am open year-round.
        Yes, I can always find uses for an extra $5,000 to $9,000!! (Weather permitting)
        Who goes to see a Haunted House in November?
        Mostly people like you, too busy to see another haunt in October.

If the winter has less snow, I will be outside welding and building stuff most of the time, keeping warm in the sun on the south side of my house.
        This last winter I built several substantial things in my basement like 25 feet of brick walls replacing wooden walls, but rather than build-boring, I put arches into the design, making it much more visually interesting.
        The one wall was needed to hide , as a "pocket" door, my new automatic "Medieval Door" all welded together like scales.
        hauntedravensgrin.com

Comment

Gadget,

Where do you guys store your 17 trailers???

Thanks,
          Allan

Comment

We store them in a field behing a business about 15 minutes from the county fairgrounds where we set up. I am not sure how much we pay but it isnt too much.
            Brian Warner
            Owner of Evilusions www.EVILUSIONS.com
            Technical Director of Forsaken Haunted House www.Forsakenhaunt.com
            Mechanical Designer (animatronics) at Gore Galore www.Gore-Galore.com

Comment

After we tear down we take a break. You dont wanna wear yourself out. We normally start the next season after transworld. By April we are in full swing!

Sean
              Sean De Wane
              ----------------------------------------------
              The De Wane Asylum
              www.dewaneasylum.com

Comment

We have a grand Halloween party the first weekend in November. Two of our actors host it at their house, and it is usually pretty wild.
                We don't start talking shop again until January, but I think about plans for the new year...well...I never really stop thinking about it.
                sigpic
                Louis Brown
                Owner, operator, and dish washer
                at
                DarkWood Manor

Comment

After the end of the season we take a couple week break then have a huge party. We rent a hall have it catered with an open bar and DJ. It's a great way for me to thank all of our crew. Then we start planning the next year. We usually start redesigning the new show at the end of January.

Howie "Slobber" Erlich
                  Deadly Intentions Haunted House
                  www.deadlyintentionshaunt.com
                  Chris Riehl
                  Sales@spookyfinder.com
                  (586)209-6935
                  www.spookyfinder.com

Comment

And Howie, will everyone at the party study hard and pass their "Bar Exam?"
                    hauntedravensgrin.com

Comment

Wrong bar Jim. The only passing that usually happens, is passing out!

Slobber
                      Chris Riehl
                      Sales@spookyfinder.com
                      (586)209-6935
                      www.spookyfinder.com

Comment

Or passing the beer.
                        Kevin R. Alvey
                        info at gore-galore.com
                        www.gore-galore.com
                        www.halloweenmusicgalore.com
                        www.youtube.com/goregalore13
                        www.facebook.com/goregalore

sigpic

Comment

"Ring!"
                          "Hello?"
                          "Tommy, come on over all the guys are here we're having a party, everybody's drinking."
                          "I shouldn't ."
                          "Why not?"
                          "I have a case of diareaha."
                          "Aw, bring it over , they'll drink anything!"
                          hauntedravensgrin.com

Comment

Me and my gguys party our ass off the first weekend of November. After that full weekend of non-stop drunking around- then I take a break for a short while. Then it's off to my day job for the rest of the year. Meanwhile, I'm constantly thinking of new ideas, and new room designs.
                            Brad Bowen
                            Owner/Operator of the Ultimate Fear Haunted House in Shreveport, LA
                            www.ultimatefear.net

Comment

Working...
                            X