Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

HELP!!!! Quick Question!! What would you do?????

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HELP!!!! Quick Question!! What would you do?????

I own a major haunt in the city of chino CA. We have been up and running for about 5 years. Through out our five years we havent charged, only accepted donations. This year we inherited 3 aceres of horse property to run our haunt in the same city. Also we are interested in charging $5 this year for an entrance fee. I called my city to get more info and they told me I couldent run a profitable haunt at a home location. They said they would only allow an office as a home buisness. The question is How do I run a profitable haunt at my location while still being in compliance with the city. What about a charitable donations? Shoot me some ideas PLEASE!!!

thanks for your help,
    Kyle at Sinister Intentions
    Kyle Nadeau
    Sinister Intentions Haunted Attractions
    Owner and Operator of Field of Screams the Haunted Stadium
    www.HauntedStadium.com
    HauntedStadium@live.com

First question. Is the property zoned residential, commercial or agricultural?

Comment

residential but on its own street
      Kyle Nadeau
      www.HauntedStadium.com
      HauntedStadium@live.com

Comment

I believe that you will have to try and get the land rezoned to comercial.

Brian

Comment

Someone find Ms Scarlett's "Battle with the Church" thread(s) for sinister please.
          that is WORST CASE scenario
          http://www.myspace.com/joedog158
          Personal MySpace

My Mottos:
          When in doubt, get the hell out - Jason Hawes

Of all the things I have taught you, remember this:
          If you see me running, KEEP UP! - Joe Dog

Comment

If you are going to get it rezoned you should consider what the taxes will change to forever. Who is going to pay these taxes and how? Forever.

The way to get it allowed is to somehow benefit some city burden from the tax payers from the proceeds. I saw this park needs this and this, and I'm intrested in running my previously free haunt bigger as a fund drive for the renovations needed at the city park. Of course the haunt which is seasonal does need a portion of the proceeds for maintenance and off season storage.

If my 3 acres is not acceptable is their a city owned property that this same scenario could raise the funds?

Well, the old bingo parlor was taken over for not paying taxes and is vacant right now, this might be a win win situation.

If not the city, the fire hall. If not the firehall, the other big charity that does similar community fund raising.

It is important to build a reputation. You in your head know what a haunt is but, these people have never seen yours and fear the worst. By being completely transparent you have established your event as holsome ( a word too happy to spell correctly) and fun, actually in demand by the community.
            sigpic

Another fabulous post from the U.S.Department of Wild Imaginings, now in spectaclar stereo, sponsored by the Adhesives and Sealants Council, suggesting ways to stick things together since the 1800s. Not fabulous in a gay way. Your results may vary. Illinois residents add 8% sales tax. These posts have been made by professional post makers, do not try this type of posting on your own without extensive training, lovely assistants and a trusty clown horn.

Comment

Thanks guys for some quick answers. The whole re-zoneing idea isnt a possibility. The point that Greg brought up is kind of what I was thinking. My mother has been involved with giving charity money to the alzheimers association since my grandmother passed away of the disease. Maybe I could do a non profit for the alzheimers association but take my expenses at the end to further my show for the next season. Would this work and how do you think the city would look at this? Also if it is a charitable event, would it be wise pull liability insurance and get it inspected by the fire Dpt.?
              Kyle Nadeau
              www.HauntedStadium.com
              HauntedStadium@live.com

Comment

I would obviously check, even doing a non-profit may not be allowed in a residential property. Even if they would aloow it at first there may be other problems.

They may look at the event and how many people would be on property at one time. You will need a set number of parking spaces available. While 3 acres seems alot for the attraction, the problem may be that the parking area needed is bigger that the entire space!

In a residentail area you can not count parking on the street. Then they may require a traffic inpact study.... the list goes on and on.

Rule of thumb, if it's not commercial or agricultural, forget it.
                R&J Productions
                Las Vegas, NV
                www.LasVegasHaunts.com

Comment

We are in a residential zone and the only reason we are allowed to have a haunt here is because we are a nonprofit organization. Donating to a nonprofit isn't enough to get a permit here in California.

Comment

Working...
                  X