How many free passes do you give out?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How many free passes do you give out?

About how many free passes do you give out as a percentage of overall tickets sold? I didn't give out many this past year as I already had my hands full. This coming year I was looking to expand on this, but also didn't want to go too overboard with them as well.

Do some radio ads and offer them as prizes. Or do it via FB.

Comment

i would do radio and Fb as well but the radio ones make sure you do a will call for these other wise they might just be giving your tickets to there other advertisers and pepole that work at the station. We had about 40 of thoes happen to us but we gave out about 200 to the radio. also the total precent was round 5% along with the other freebes to TV and others.

Shawn
      Twisted Woods

Comment

7.2% of the people through the door were on comp tickets for me this year. It was a first year, so advertising was needed, but I think that was a bit higher than I'd have liked. I'd have liked to have kept it to 5%. Last year they were all done through the radio.

This year I will likely do some Facebook giveaways as well.
        sigpic

There are three rules to designing a haunt. Unfortunately, nobody knows what they are.

Haunt: www.ScarecrowTheater.com

Comment

Free Passes

We give away coupons to our facebook friends for $2 off which encourages them to join our facebook page and then we will give out around 250-350 free passes that are only good on certain nights. The first weekend and the last weekend and Sundays is the only time they can use them. Just be sure that on your busiest Saturday your paying customers aren't waiting an extra hour and getting mad because of your free customers.

Comment

Originally posted by SCfearfarm View Post
            Just be sure that on your busiest Saturday your paying customers aren't waiting an extra hour and getting mad because of your free customers.
            CORRECT!

May them work for the freebies too.

Comment

I like the coupon via facebook route to get traffic. I even sign up sometimes to get a coupon here or there. I haven't pushed facebook very hard yet. I thought for 2012 also doing just a straight up $250 cash prize drawing for those who sign up on my facebook page.

Comment

coupons

we did $2 off coupons on facebook and in each newspaper we advertised in so that which ever ones presented more coupons advertised the best for us. Facebook was our best. A few papers did very little business so we wont be doing them again and we would not have known if it werent for the coupons. However, we still only had about 25% of our customers use coupons. You can argue around in circles that that 25% was going to come anyway so we lost $2 per person, or they werent coming at all without the coupon so we gained $11 that we wouldn't have had. Either way I used them. We also gave away free tickets on the facebook page to winners of contests and this year we will be giving away free t-shirts as well. On the crowded nights we might even due halloween trivia in the que lines and give away shirts etc. to the winners. You never know when that one free ticket or t-shirt brings a group of 50 to your haunt the next year, so to me these things are important. I'm thinking about making the coupons good only on the slow nights this year, haven't decided yet.

Comment

I Don't Like..

.. being the Bad Guy.
                  "The tickets you have won are only good on Wed. and Thurs."
                  "We are here and we have tickets already, here they are!"
                  "These aren't good for tonight... Ok, you can come in anyway..."
                  What kind of PR is it if you are forced by customer supidity to be the bad guy? Such as:"No, they are no good for this night." (Drive 40 miles back home, return when they are good, and I hope you like my house!)
                  Sure. Maybe not?
                  My house tour has always been very time/labor intensive for me which makes me very prone to not give it away.
                  60 to 90 minutes of ME goes into almost every group that comes through here.
                  "Throughput"? what's that?
                  Free tickets? R U kidding?
                  hauntedravensgrin.com

Comment

We gave away 20 tickets to run on one radio spot 2 times a day for the week of halloween. It worked well and I think we will add more this year. I also like the facebook give aways.
                    BLOOD, GUTS AND GORE!
                    www.horrorfields.com

Comment

Don't give it away

Originally posted by Jim Warfield View Post
                      .. being the Bad Guy.
                      "The tickets you have won are only good on Wed. and Thurs."
                      "We are here and we have tickets already, here they are!"
                      "These aren't good for tonight... Ok, you can come in anyway..."
                      What kind of PR is it if you are forced by customer supidity to be the bad guy? Such as:"No, they are no good for this night." (Drive 40 miles back home, return when they are good, and I hope you like my house!)
                      Sure. Maybe not?
                      My house tour has always been very time/labor intensive for me which makes me very prone to not give it away.
                      60 to 90 minutes of ME goes into almost every group that comes through here.
                      "Throughput"? what's that?
                      Free tickets? R U kidding?
                      Giving it away is tossing money out the door. If you are giving tickets to radio station you better be getting value in trade. We work contracts that include both cash and ticket trade. So you at least get some value in thoes loss of sales. Just watch because some radio corporations *coughclearchannelcough* will sometimes take tickets that you thought were going through promotions, and sell them at a 50% discount. So your question shoudl not be how many tickets do you give away, it's how much advertising can you trade for tickets to media and sponsors.
                      J. F. Storm

Highland Farm's
                      Trails To Terror
                      Wakefield, RI

http://www.trailstoterror.com/

http://www.hauntminute.com

http://www.bigscaryshow.com

Comment

I am a fan of buy one get one free giveaways. That way your at least getting something out of the sale.
                        Joshua
                        www.hauntedprints.com
                        info?hauntedprints.com

Comment

Local laws

Originally posted by Skeered View Post
                          I like the coupon via facebook route to get traffic. I even sign up sometimes to get a coupon here or there. I haven't pushed facebook very hard yet. I thought for 2012 also doing just a straight up $250 cash prize drawing for those who sign up on my facebook page.
                          Don't forget to look up the local laws about this. Can be very different state to state and even by county. Most likely the attorney general's website will help you find the guidelines on what contests / raffles/ sweepstakes you can have, and what you have to post do it's legal and fair. I see a lot of places give away stuf on facebook without posting the rules and the methodology on who's eligable. Give aways get extreamly tricky when cash prizes are involved because you are wandering into lottery territory. Many cities will prevent local organizations form showing a dollar sign or mentioning any amount in advertising or promotsions for even a 50/50.
                          J. F. Storm

Highland Farm's
                          Trails To Terror
                          Wakefield, RI

http://www.trailstoterror.com/

http://www.hauntminute.com

http://www.bigscaryshow.com

Comment

Originally posted by storm View Post
                            Don't forget to look up the local laws about this. Can be very different state to state and even by county. Most likely the attorney general's website will help you find the guidelines on what contests / raffles/ sweepstakes you can have, and what you have to post do it's legal and fair. I see a lot of places give away stuf on facebook without posting the rules and the methodology on who's eligable. Give aways get extreamly tricky when cash prizes are involved because you are wandering into lottery territory. Many cities will prevent local organizations form showing a dollar sign or mentioning any amount in advertising or promotsions for even a 50/50.

I haven't got that far into it. Right off hand I have not found anything in my state for regulating raffles where there is no cost to the participants. If there was a cost involved then there is plenty to go by. I see business all the time giving away stuff at festivals where all you have to do is give your name and number. Worse case scenario is I would likely switch from cash to a physical item. I can see where some dirtbag outfit plaster millions of flyers all the place and leave a tarnished feel for the town. Kinda like the furniture store who is always having a going outta business sale and has the 48' box trailer in the parking lot to get around the signage laws.
                            Last edited by Skeered; 02-09-2012, 11:22 PM.

Comment

Giving away free tickets is not a loss of sales. If they are given away correctly. Leave a free ticket as a tip at a restaurant, give one ticket away for aright answer for horror trivia at a bar, one and two at a time they generate sales because someone who was not coming anyway came and brought a friend who paid. If you have two attractions then make the ticket good only for the main attraction- then you have a good chance to have them buy the upcharge attraction, or food,or a tshirt- all sales you would not get if you didnt give away a ticket.
                              use your free tickets for trade. Give area restaurants two free tickets per employee in exchange for an equal value of gift certificates. Then give the gift certicates to actors as awards for a job well done. Or trade free tickets for pizza to feed your crew.
                              DO not send free tickets to everyone who visited you last year, if your show is good then they will come back. Give two free tickets to any business who lets you put your poster in their window or flyers on their counter.
                              Allen H
                              www.Stiltbeaststudios.com
                              http://www.youtube.com/user/Stiltbea...s?feature=mhee

Comment

Working...
                              X