the 13th things to start your haunt.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• the 13th things to start your haunt.

well this could be a long page for some but it's ever seem like every one on here post bits of info about how to start a haunt so this is why i am posting this on here.

I haven't started one yet but i am going to soon, yes we all know that some of us don't want to show the "real" info on the money going out and the money going in on this web site. Due to things that some one can see this as a great way to know how much a owner really makes off a haunt. SO... math is your friend in most cases. If you have 13.00 per tix. x the how many people are going though the haunt.= how much you made for the night.

so.. in other words.. it looks like this.. 13.00 X 1500 people = 19,500 bucks made for the night. but that's before taxes and paying your actors, etc, etc..

now it's your turn on how a business plan should look like OR ??? would like to hear it from you guys!

Thanks!

HG
    it's ok... the dark has many faces you can't see..

Originally posted by hauntedghost View Post
    well this could be a long page for some but it's ever seem like every one on here post bits of info about how to start a haunt so this is why i am posting this on here.

I haven't started one yet but i am going to soon, yes we all know that some of us don't want to show the "real" info on the money going out and the money going in on this web site. Due to things that some one can see this as a great way to know how much a owner really makes off a haunt. SO... math is your friend in most cases. If you have 13.00 per tix. x the how many people are going though the haunt.= how much you made for the night.

so.. in other words.. it looks like this.. 13.00 X 1500 people = 19,500 bucks made for the night. but that's before taxes and paying your actors, etc, etc..

now it's your turn on how a business plan should look like OR ??? would like to hear it from you guys!

Thanks!

HG
    You should pick up Kelly Allen's "So You Want to Be a Haunt Entrepreneur". Lots of useful information for your haunt and he even provides an example of a business plan in Chapter Two - Business Plan, Business Plan, Business Plan!
    Every job is a self-portrait of the person who did it… Autograph your work with excellence!

Comment

HI,
      I also do reccomend Kelly Allens book!
      Great stuff! Super helpful, worlds of info and insight! I couldnt put the book down!

Haunt man

Comment

Just my opinion....

I am using just simple math for this.....but it will make sense......
        I would take the advertising budget......20,000
        Then the employee budget.....15,000
        Then any other recurring expenses......power, porta potties, insurance, blah blah blah.......5,000
        If you have a lease add in whatever it is....

Then add them together....in this model 40,000 (assuming you own the building with no mortgage)

Then divide it by however many nights you are open......10 nights?
        This means you would have to make $4,000 a night to cover recurring costs. (Not counting anything else, building lease...construction, props, costumes, etc. of course)

Then you take your cost of the construction and props etc. and pro-rate them over a couple of years keeping in mind that you will have to make changes each year to your haunt. So, if you spent 100,000 on this end that would be $33K a year for 3 years (another $3300 a night) plus whatever you spend the next years buying props and construction.

Most people say that you need to spend 2.00-3.00 per person in advertising that you want to come, so this model may bring 10,000 people but it wont be 1000 a night split evenly. It may be 500 on Thursday 900 on Friday and 1600 on Saturday etc. which averages out to 1000 a night.....so a rainy Saturday may really put a dent in things.

These are crazy numbers that I just made up.....but its something to look at.

Comment

[MENTION=16356]SCfearfarm[/MENTION] Said it well. Consider ALL those factors...and as always, I'd like to echo those before me in saying, GET KELLY'S BOOK!!!
          O'Shawn McClendon
          Creative Chair -- Operator: Cayce-West Columbia Hall of Horrors

One mans junk is another mans kick-ass new prop...

http://www.hallofhorrors.com

http://twitter.com/hallofhorrors

http://cwchallofhorrors.blogspot.com

http://www.youtube.com/hallofhorrors

http://www.myspace.com/cwcjc_hallofhorrors

Comment

I did get Kelly's book by the way.... maybe i just need to reread it... i have found that doing free ads is the best way to get your name out there and other stuff too. like hold a flash mob of zombies with a big sign say your haunt's name. so on.

does every one pay there actor at mimemm wage?? i know i spelled it wrong..
            it's ok... the dark has many faces you can't see..

Comment

If you are a for profit haunt then PAY YOUR ACTORS! It's the right thing to do and the legal way to go too. Haunts especially pro haunts still using volunteers makes it look like haunts haven't evolved from the 70's and not viewed as a REAL business. Treat your actors well don't take advantage of their hard work.

DA

Comment

Pay your Hired Help

But I recommend not paying them with beer.
                Funny how some haunts I have been told about (via those employees) that don't pay their help or promise one thing then severely under-pay them October 31st. when there is not work to quit (as in "Quit while you are ahead") Don't always seem to do so well in the long run.
                One October night some new customers here began asking me if I knew this other haunter?
                My answer was "Yes", Do know him." Then they had no problem, sitting there in my house with the lights on telling me how he had "stifffed" them for all the building they had done for his haunt, then they said they went back later and broke all the windows out of his very old, classic hearse!
                "HHHMM?"
                I guess those who decided not to pay their help have never been "stiffed" themselves?
                I have been taken advantage of financially way too many times in my working years to ever think I could consciously do that to someone else and sleep well at night. (I like to sleep well at night)
                I once relocated 175 miles for a better job, as promised, becoming a percentage partner one day. I work there maybe a week and I asked another employee if the owner had any kids?
                "Yes. he had six boys with his first Wife, the second Wife has all the money."
                Suddenly my percentage seemed as if it would be infintesimal. Lied to again!
                "Trizzle-Trazzale Gnome, time for this one to come home!"
                "Thank you Mr. Whoopie."
                "Tis OK, Scooter."
                hauntedravensgrin.com

Comment

Working...
                X