Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Curtain Maze Material Alternative

Hi,

I am considering creating my own curtain maze this year and I am wondering if anyone knows of a material that can act as a substitute for the vinyl. As much as I like the vinyl, it's a bit too expensive for our budget, so a cheaper alternative would be nice.

The theme is Carnival-ish, so if the material was red/white striped that would be cool, but any color would work as long as it works with the Carnival type atmosphere. I guess maybe normal old, treated fabric could be an option, but does anyone know of a place to buy a lot of it on the cheap?

Thanks,
    Jake
    Last edited by scarygoat; 02-23-2012, 05:29 PM.

curtain maze material

I believe that I read somewhere that George Maser has a cheaper yet durable alternative.

Dan Augusto
    Owner Tombstone Productions

Comment

How about the grey or black land scaping material? $40 for a 100ft x 4ft roll at home depot.
      www.Stiltbeaststudios.com
      http://www.youtube.com/user/Stiltbea...s?feature=mhee

Comment

Originally posted by Allen H View Post
        How about the grey or black land scaping material? $40 for a 100ft x 4ft roll at home depot.
        You mean the rough material you use to keep weeds out ? I think that material is too thin and tears easily...we used big rolls of it for a cantaloupe garden a few years back.

The vinyl is expensive but I think it's the best bet..maybe you can get it in a thinner, cheaper grade ?

Would tarps stretched between poles work for you ?

Comment

Yup, same stuff. It does not tear that easily. I have never had a curtain made from it not last 30 days
          www.Stiltbeaststudios.com
          http://www.youtube.com/user/Stiltbea...s?feature=mhee

Comment

Burlap

We have had sucess using burlap. It's inexpensive and durable. It's one of the things we have a lot of acess too at the farm, well that and weedmat, which also works well.
            J. F. Storm

Highland Farm's
            Trails To Terror
            Wakefield, RI

http://www.trailstoterror.com/

http://www.hauntminute.com

http://www.bigscaryshow.com

Comment

Originally posted by Allen H View Post
              Yup, same stuff. It does not tear that easily. I have never had a curtain made from it not last 30 days
              The stuff we bought must have been a cheaper grade..it tore..not super easy, but enough I could see people tearing there way through it...and it wasn't solid in appearance either that I recall.

I did save some we pulled up used for ship sails on a wrecked pirate vessel for the season..by the end the wind and weather had shredded it pretty well though.

Comment

I know a guy who contacted a billboard sign company. The company gave him an old vinyl/canvas like sign. They are very large. He took the sign, cut it into strips,and painted the backside of it (the front side obviously was advertising something)....If not the sign company themselves, ask the company who bought the sign if they have any old ones available. Car dealerships come to mind.....Just throwing out there as an option.

Comment

Originally posted by JailRock View Post
                  I know a guy who contacted a billboard sign company. The company gave him an old vinyl/canvas like sign. They are very large. He took the sign, cut it into strips,and painted the backside of it (the front side obviously was advertising something)....If not the sign company themselves, ask the company who bought the sign if they have any old ones available. Car dealerships come to mind.....Just throwing out there as an option.
                  That's cool..I think all the signs around here are a paper-like material. It does remind me that I heard companies that make canvas tents and the like will sell scrap canvas to you...but that stuff can be HEAVY.

Comment

I took a chance

bought a bunch of very cheap, thin doors, brand new for 25cents each. Made the maze and not one door got kicked in until maybe three years had passed and I am open every night of the year.
                    Your results may vary depending upon your type of customer and if you scare them into your thin doors or not.. don't scare them into the thin doors. There. I said it. Now you know.
                    Being at the right place at the right time and driving a pick up truck or knowing where to get a truck quickly and getting the truck with a trailer hitch plus a trailer all helps with the positive outcome of your safari too!
                    hauntedravensgrin.com

Comment

In my area we have a few lumberyards that wrap their wood for transport in a tyvek type tarping. This usually gets discarded at the final destination. I would try either the lumberyards or dtore like home depot that might remove the tarping and just toss it. Home depot and lowes also gives away carpet rolls if you need them!!! For free!
                      Kimmy

http://hauntedkimmycreations.weebly.com/

Comment

Thanks everyone! I've got some ideas now. Really appreciate all the suggestions!

Comment

A Hotel gave us 30 old King size sheets last year. Party Stores sell 100 foot rolls of Wedding table cloths all colors under $20.
                          Coffee Roasting shops gave us 90 burlap sacks. I buy cheap drop sheets all year long at 2nd hand shops.
                          Storage is a huge problems, so we will stick to fabric walls and ceilings for now.

Comment

How strong is the wedding table cloth?

Comment

The tablecloths are about the same strength as garbage bags. We never had anyone go through them. We pull it snug and staple it to our wood framed walls. In the US, I've seen them in the Party City Stores, black, brown, grey, red, purple....all colours. I am always so happy I bought them early in the year. You won't find any dark colours in Oct. They are life saving when you find a hall that needs covering and you only have a few days to set up.

Comment

Working...
                              X