Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

So, what did everyone who attended Transworld this year think of the show?????

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• So, what did everyone who attended Transworld this year think of the show?????

I realize that everyone is in the process of travelling back home from Transworld today, but as each of you get back to posting in a day or so, give your thoughts on how this year's show compared to last year. What new prop "stole the show", what new company had the best products, who had the best booth, etc?
    How were the haunt tours this year?

I missed the show this year because I was recovering from surgery, and I am dying to know what I missed!!!

Thanks guys,
    Dewayne
    Dewayne Anglin

Director of Operations
    Sleepy Hollow Productions, LLC/ Folklore Haunted House
    www.folklorehauntedhouse.com

sigpic

I didn't really see the show this year so I better bow out for the most part. I didn't attend the show on Sunday at all. I was there on Thursday for 2 hours, Friday for 4 hours and Saturday for 2 hours. I had a sewer pipe break in my back yard and it flooded my basement. I was dealing with that and trying to make sure our haunt tours went off okay.

Anyway ... from what I did see which wasn't much at all. Hmmm...

I liked the fact that there was so many mask companies that is what I would say I liked the best. There was a lot of different companies to choose from and overall that was the best thing we could have ever hoped for. It wasn't that long ago we had NO ONE to choose from but latex mask companies.

I liked seeing all the costumes walking around I think Gore Galore had guys in costume they looked really neat!

I liked the fact that companies tried to produce more special fx type stuff rather than the typical animation animation animation.

Lastly I liked the fact that the animations we did see this year where more original and unique. But probably MOST OVER ALL now that I think about it I liked the fact there was so many different kinds of companies there from ATM machine companies, to photo booths, to everything between. I also think TW did a great job by setting up the movie screens and everything else. Great job!

Larry
    Larry Kirchner
    President
    www.HalloweenProductions.com
    www.BlacklightAttractions.com
    www.HauntedHouseSupplies.com
    www.HauntedHouseMagazine.com

Comment

Transworld show

I had a good time this year. The show floor seemed better this year than last because there seemed to be lots of new ideas from the vendors. It seems like vendors are finally understanding that most of the haunts in the country are small to medium shows and most of their customers are from these shows so instead of building the $12,000 monsters as their "new greatest prop" they are building more reasonably priced props and costumes which is great for smaller guys like us. There were lots more costumes and masks this year and some cash and carry stuff that was good. I took a couple of seminars that were "OK" and for $45 I guess if you learned anything at all in them to gain you 3 or 4 extra guests this year then they were paid for. The free seminars transworld offered this year were good with the panel discussions and getting to listen to some guys about decisions they made that helped/hurt their attraction. We did the zombie paintball tour, trailer haunt at creepyworld, and lemp brewery tours and all 3 were pretty good. The zombie paintball was surprisingly fun and the trailer haunt was cool too to see how it was built. Lemp Brewery was fun and the new que line definately had a Disney feel to it...the hour and a half wait outside wasn't too fun but it was probably because people were taking their time so much looking at everything that it slowed everything down. It was good to have a haunt tour that came with transportation because we flew so it was nice to be picked up and dropped back off at the convention center. It was good to put some faces with some names from on here as well. The free dinner on opening night from the show and Ken Donat was great and I hope they do that again next year. It got my butt in gear to get started for 2012 so I hope everyone has a great 2012 haunt season!

Comment

One thing new that I would like to make mention of was Darklight's party at the City Museum. I'd never been in that building before and I have to say that was really a nice addition. A lot different atmosphere and I have to comment Darklight, Transworld, and the City Museum for organizing the event.

I went in with a shopping list, that was written up before the show, and although I strayed from it a little bit, it actually was on older products more than new. One new product I did decide to go with was Woodloom's gravestones. We do all graveyard, and decided outsourcing some stones would let us concentrate on our many other projects. Their work looked great, and it was a nice price point.

Other vendors that caught my eye this year were also smaller things not the big wow things. Rosco isn't new, but it's the first time I've seen them at this show, and having theater products is great. It let me get a few questions answered on some products so I can go to my local theater supply store better informed now. I also thought the booth selling all moss had a good price point for materials, so I ended up grabbing a bunch of that.
        sigpic

There are three rules to designing a haunt. Unfortunately, nobody knows what they are.

Haunt: www.ScarecrowTheater.com

Comment

There are alot of impressive yet affordable props this year.

Comment

A Newbie's Impressions

This was our first year at the show, and in short, my impression was "WOW!" I was especially excited at getting to see props/costumes from Gore Galore, Scarefactory, and Distortions Unlimited up close and personnal as these are the companies which inspired me from the very beginning to get in to this industry. I'm very pleased that not only did their pictures/videos translate to the real world, but they are perhaps more impressive in real life.

The Dark Room was spectacular and we felt every single company showcasing in that room did a great job! Special mentions to Scarefactory, Dead House Designs, and Poison Props. All three companies presented very well what they can do and as haunt owners, we have you all bookmarked for future purchases.

I was shocked at how deeply some companies discounted their merchandise for the show. We ended up getting 5 pairs of theatrical contacts for $45 each, then went back to the motel and looked up prices online to find that one pair we purchased regularly sold for $180! A HUGE thank you to all companies for discounting merchandise at the show as it stretched our small budget much further than we thought possible!

Getting to see Ed Edmunds and the cast of Face/Off was a super treat for us! My wife actually got star struck when she met Beki Ingram. I myself got star struck when I met Allen Hopps. His You Tube tutorials and posts on this forum helped us start our home haunt and his information during the panel discussion on surviving the haunted industry was compelling and very insightful. At his booth, my wife confessed to him that his You Tube tutorial helped her sculpt her first ever latex mask, and he wanted to see pictures of the creation he helped inspire. Allen is a real stand up guy and a true inspiration to us.

We also attended Rich Hanf's class on getting started in the haunted attraction business and found his 23 point top 10 list (yes, I said that right) also helpful and insightful. Rich has personality and character, which made taking a class at 9:00 A.M. on Friday morning a delight to sit through. We wished the class could have been at least 2 hours long, if not half a day or so, but given the time he had, we felt he did an excellent job of mingling facts and anecdotal stories to keep a good balance of entertainment and knowledge.

One negative we felt was that the interactive haunted house felt haphazard and under decorated. Perhaps it was our expectation going in, but we assumed this attraction would feature some of the best props each company had to offer and we felt an overwhelming "Meh" going through the attraction. Again, it might have just been unreasonable expectations on our parts, but we thought the production was underwhelming at best.

Overall, wonderful show worth every penny. We got to meet some of our idols in the industry and we got to see many more around the floor. Booths were well presented and numerous. Our first walkthrough took over 3 hours. We're all tired, sore, and ready to rock in 2012! Thank you to everyone who participated in any capacity!
            www.mournfulmanor.com

"I'm talking about romance in the sense of epic heroes, tragedy, forever friends who die for one another, quests, wars and star-crossed lovers. Romance found in dark fairy tales and the histories of martyred saints. Romance expressed through murder, cannibalism, ressurrections, and hauntings, through ancient tales of chivalry, sacrifice and betrayal."

Comment

I'll post more thoughts later, but, initially we were a little skeptical about it being the same as last year and let me say, let me say it was fantasic! Alot of new vendors.... I'm going to say maybe 25% or more/different overall, couple that with new props along with the changing the floor planned really made it a trilling show. I can't say again how happy we were to see all the new items and changes, of course only being our 2nd year, I hope they even do more and keep it fresh, try new things. One thing, again, I was really surprised of the new vendors there from last... shows growth and can't wait till next year already. We watched Distortions show friday evening on the big screen and then they had the whole cast from the show and even the producers take questions from audience, this was great and really put the icing on the cake. I think we should start a new thread even of how to assist Transworld folks in any way we can to keep up the pace and freshness of the event. Even if they take a single idea it's worth the effort. But, overall...simply fantasic, and, with the even costing $50 or so as compared to free last year... it actually even seemed more crowded this year!

Jim

Comment

I think I was at the show for like 4 1/2 hours total between the 2 days I was there. I don't feel as though I saw much at all this time and some of what I did see appeared to be the same as it always is. I did notice several smaller props this time around, which is really what I like to see. I also thought some people appeared to put a lot of effort into making elaborate booths which I also liked.

On a negative note, I am getting sick of Transworld not allowing children on the show floor. That is starting to be an inconvience for me, I can't always leave my children at home when attending this show. Any other tradeshow/convention I have been to, do allow it, and the subject matter at those shows aren't much different, Transworld isn't special. The show is no longer free which is fine, but in paying now I feel as though its time to rethink those policies.

Also, after much hype, I didn't think the city musuem was all that great. It was kind of neat but not nearly as cool as was made out. Plus, it was a parental nightmare and obviously this place is geared towards children or undersized adults.
                Jared Layman

Comment

I liked Immortal Mask and CFX masks the best. Oh and Haunt Tactic is where I spent the most on costumes. Tim had my theme and liked the costumes up close more than in pics.

Wasn't impressed with this show. Was nice to see some new vendors but a lot of the old vendors were not there that I have seen over the past 5 years. I didn't feel there was enough "wow factor" from a lot of the vendors. Maybe just wasn't what we were looking for to fit our theme. We felt there was a lot of the same old stuff just different vendors. I just didn't see a lot of new products but older ones from years past.

I personally am more interested in learning how to make our own molds, masks, props, etc. I didn't see any of that type of thing out there. Thinking for smaller haunts trying to cut some cost, that would have been beneficial to see.

I got my best deal from another haunt so I am pleased!

Did Lemp and Darkness tours again. Actors did pretty good. All in all decent show but I think it was smaller this year. Probably due to vendors being killed with costs.

I also thought the coupon book was a waste of printing $$. Some gave it and others didn't.

One thing I also noticed was vendors (that I purchased from) were not offering deposits but wanted paid in full. Although it didn't bother me because I have dealt with many of them and built that business relationship, I would not have done that for new or shakey vendors (meaning deadlines not being met with me in the past).

Everyone seemed to have a good time. Did several seminars and thought they were all great from business bare bones to how to and makeup.

Think I will be going to Houston and a few others this year and next. Just my personal opinion.

Comment

I do think "more hands on" seminars, such as mask making...etc should be the focus next year. It's great to have the general concepts of safety, marketing covered in seminars, but, I think alot of nuts and bolts seminars... like fright props did this year with, are needed. How about building and wall structures (fabric materials, fire protecting....all supplemented with examples...etc) - the hardware and physical infrastructures that make a haunt.

Comment

Also, the free seminars that Ben Armstrong moderated were fantastic, I don't remember these last year and I possible just missed. I believe the morning seminar had 4-500 folks it seemed and later seminar about 300 or so (very much a big success). I hope next year we get several more like these (please don't try to monetize these and start charging). It's helps hearing their stories, trials and tribulations...for me it confirmed many notions I already had, but, hearing it from them was a supporting and comforting factor in many ways.

Comment

This year's show was bigger and more organized, but there wasn't anything really ground breaking. I think vendors are starting to run out of ideas and some of the biggest vendors in the industry are stuck in their old ways. I enjoyed the free seminars and events, but I'm not that crazy about St. Louis. I personally think that it's time for the show to move to another city to bring some new life to it because this year's Transworld was a bit of a let down.
                        Spooky Wishes
                        Noah

City Blood: Ohio, Kentucky & Indiana's #1 Haunt Site!

http://www.ohioshaunted.com

Comment

Moving around

I agree that the show should move around. Maybe not every single year but at least every couple. I would like to see it come to somewhere in the South like Atlanta, Charlotte or Orlando and then somewhere like Dallas and then Pitt. or Boston etc. just to let some vendors and buyers that cant make the trip come and give new options for tours, new sight seeing for guests etc.

Comment

All in all...good

Over all I liked it. Was my fifth Transworld. Do not do other haunt conventions as they are into planting season. Much seems like seeing same over again..but several I like. Last year I loaded up on "actor enhancers"...sparking knives, boom sticks, etc. This year it was back to getting Distortions newest Shocktronic, a few Poison props, and seriously eyeballing Gore Galore's goat head on a track system. Dropped a few friendly suggestions to some vendors and will see if they adopt them by 2013...like one vendor did for 2012 after raking them over the coals last year. Kicking myself because I forgot to make good on covering somebodies bar tab since they were having to put up with World Series instead of me putting up with Detroit Tigers in World Series. Did notice police walking and pedal biking downtown a couple times; St. Louis must want to keep convention area safe. Know someone had a rental truck stolen while there. Like St. Louis...but I would go to Orlando the same week.

Wicked Farmer

Comment

WOW!
                              I am astonished by the negativity, and cynicism in this thread.

I know we absolutely brought it this year.
                              If your jaws didn't drop as you walked in the main door then you were not paying attention to what was happening right in front of your face.
                              Sorry guys.

Other vendors who really busted nuts trying to create the best work they ever did, like:
                              Haunt Tactics with their animatronic plants, stilted costume and female zombie costume.
                              Global Fear Enterprises full body costumes
                              Distortions huge animatronic creature, rocking granny (gotta be the best low end animatronic on the market for what it is), and actor combined animatronics.
                              Dark Ravens new larger snakes, and thing inspired chest exploding creature, and more
                              Kip always ups the bar on his video animatronics.
                              I am sorry, I know there was alot more, but my brain is on lockdown at the moment.
                              I loved that there were oddity and custom art by gemini, demski, and medical from Dapper Cadaver.
                              Oh, Allen's Stiltbeaststudio custom masks that sold out the first day (I told you so.

I also thought it was great to see
                              Zip line suppliers
                              And what?
                              A custom bucking bronco set up.
                              What a great addition to a midway.

And guess what? I didn't even get to walk the show floor except to go the bathroom.
                              I am sure I would have seen alot more if I would have gotten to walk the entire show floor other than before the show opened on Wed.

Come on my gory fiends, You can do better than this.
                              Kevin R. Alvey
                              info at gore-galore.com
                              www.gore-galore.com
                              www.halloweenmusicgalore.com
                              www.youtube.com/goregalore13
                              www.facebook.com/goregalore

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X