HauntWorld Home - Forums Home - Live Chat - Find Haunted Houses - Hauntworld Magazine - Haunted House Supplies - America's Best Haunts - Find Vendors
Haunted House News - Haunted Tradeshows - Join Hauntworld Facebook - Hauntworld Twitter - Advertise - Contact Us

Thread: Finding an Investor

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Default Finding an Investor 
    Hey guys!!
    I would like to know how you all found investors/money to get your haunts up and running.
    I am working on a business plan, and would like to find a charity to partner with, I have the knowledge, the support, just have no funds to start the ball rolling!
    Any help would be amazing!
    Not interested in debating credentials, or anything of the like, not my first rodeo LOL I'm just very curious as to the routes you took to get started financially
    Thanks!!!!
    Do Vegan Zombies eat heads of lettuce?

2. Default  
    Best advice....DONT.

Don't have friends become investors.
    Don't ruin your credit by pulling a loan (not like a bank or financial institution would support a seasonal business plan..they don't see it like we do).
    Don't borrow from family!

Start slow.
    It's good to have a business plan.
    It's good to know what your basic expenses will be.
    It's good to know your capabilities and the resources you have readily available.
    But it's even better to just do what you can afford as you can afford it. That way if you fail, your biggest loss is really the mental suffering from failure, but if you succeed you can rejoice in the mentality of knowing you did it and you did it right.

It's not about the money, it's about the ability to utilize your creative problem solving skills to the fullest.

I know your history on here and I know you have what it takes, but money ruins things QUICKLY. If you can't do it now, wait til you are in a situation where you can.

Develop obtainable short, medium, and long range goals, tackle them one at a time and do it at a pace that will not break your bank. Use your head and use what you can to climb your way to where you want to be.

Best of luck, and don't give up! It takes time my dear

3. Default thanks! 
    Thanks! Kinda the way I wanted to go anyhow.
    I am totally going slow, there is a thing as too big too soon.
    Thank you for the advice, and the confirmation that what little is in my head, is on the right track

4. Default  
    I'm a big fan of the "Help send my kids to college" Charity...(just sayin')

5. Default  
    Badger - I like that charity! LOL Also the "I like food and electricity" one too! LOL

6. Default  
    Connellsville, Pennsylvania, United States
    I'm sort of in the same situation as you are currently in, but I feel that if you start with only what you can afford, how do you win back people who came your first year and first impressions weren't good ? I mean, let's say I open next year with a very limited haunt. People come, they like it, but not enough to come back the next year because we didn't "go big or go home" so to speak. Now, I understand there's always room for improvement and growth, but i also think there's such a thing as being completely prepared and bringing your A-game on your very first year. You've given me something to think about because I'm beginning to think that if I can't get this investor soon, we might be using our own money.....which isn't much. I just don't want to do this half-assed, excuse my language

7. Default  
    In a way you are right. but at the same time, awesome haunts can be made cheaply too. Just because you throw money at it, and buy the biggest crap, doesn't mean you will be agreat haunt.
    I think, that if you have a scary haunt, that is well done (tons of tricks for cheap sweet stuff!!) you can be successful your first year, then build. If you ruch and do crap, people will think twice.
    The cost i am most worried about is the building, insurance and wall materials.
    I want one house, a kickass house, and pack as much awesome into it as possible, then leave room for additions.
    I'm getting tired of watching others achieve my dream, just because they have the funds. LOL
    If you have to use your own money, like was said above, use every resource to get free things, and don't skimp on the important stuff that protects your assets! Aat to dond make it scary, over anything else (which usually boils down to amazing actors.. luckily, I have a knack for cast mgmnt and training LOL)
    UGH... what to do?!?! LOL

8. Default  
    Sorry, but for a successful haunt, the advertising costs more then anything you mentioned.....

These days, it is go big or go home.....Stew

9. Default  
    Well I'll debate the go big or go home argument based on your targeted audience and what your market currently offers.

No one knows what is around you better than you do.

What is your market used to? What do they know? What have they been trained to enjoy?

Indoor? Outdoor? Tent? Building? Trail?

How many haunts surround you? Proximity?

Those are all questions you better know the answer to prior to trying to open.

As for insurance, Ken Donat is the bomb, a start up attraction with volunteers should expect to spend between $700-1000
    As for building, do you need to be indoors? That is determined by what your market is trained to enjoy more based on what has and currently does exist.
    As for wall panels, BUY THEM USED!! I have over 1000 4x8 wall panels, I might have built 80 from scratch, the rest? USED. Wall panels depreciate in value GREATLY especially plain black ones or ones with cruddy art on them. Prime used ones white, buy as many as you can for $5-15/piece and go to TOWN fitting them for your attraction.
    My best score were 150 wall panels, single sided, for $2/ea and 2 seasons old! Now I use them as perimeter walls and I've converted a bunch into 4x8x8 storage containers for props and misc bulk supplies.

Money does NOT equal QUALITY.

Throw some money behind great concepts and you're golden, but throw a little money into EFFECTIVE concepts and they'll come back year after year!

10. Default  
    We had to find several investors for our haunt because I still have a full time job. We talked to family and friends who led us to a couple groups who loved the idea. You simply have to dig around and you'll fine some people.

Thread Information