Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Artist in need of Industry Guidance

Hey Guys!

This is actually one of my first posts here, though I have been reading a lot of things in this forum for a while. So long story short, I am sort of at a crossroads right now and was wondering and hoping that maybe someone on here could help to give me an idea on which way to go.

I have been working in the theatre industry for a while, nothing too professional but I have a Bachelors degree in Theatre with a focus on Costumes and Makeup and around 19 years experience in every area. I recently got a rejection for a graduate program which I think is a blessing in disguise (although it sucked really bad) because I don’t know that its going to help me accomplish what I really want to do which is make monsters and/or work in the Haunt Industry somehow.

My issue is I don’t know where to even go to start or get my foot in the door. I have some skills that need to be worked on so I don’t know if I should go back to school and try to find somewhere that offers a program that would help me, or even what kind of program I would look for. I know that with CGI being the big thing, people aren’t always looking for monsters so it’s a very hard industry to break into, and it’s hard for the haunt way of life too. But I am willing to try, and willing to start from the bottom and work my way up and I know that may mean a lot of sacrifices but it will be worth it.

So would any of you guys by any chance be able to offer some guidance or advice to someone who’s a little lost and a little defeated at the moment? I have a so much respect for all of you because of your work which is why I am asking from guidance from you all. I figured no one would know better.

Thanks!

Suggestion

I notice you live in the Cincinnati area. You might consider attending the Midwest Haunters Convention in Columbus June 9 & 10. There will be makeup artists there from around the country and generally everyone is willing to share their opinions and suggestions on the industry. There will also be exhibitors there, some of them prop manufacturers and masks makers. Bring your resume; let them know what you are looking for and you never know what could happen.

You might check out a couple haunts in your area to see if you could sign on with them. That opportunity could be helpful and provde some real life experiences to help you decide which area of the industry best matches your abilities. Your experience in theatre will be very helpful. We've found some of our best actors have theatrical backgrounds.

Most haunters and makeup artists are great people who enjoy sharing their knowledge and experiences. Come to the convention and be prepared to have a good time and hopefully you'll leave with a better understanding of the industry and a large group of new friends.

Kelly Collins
    The Midwest Haunters Convention

Comment

Working...
    X